|Rolls-Royce Continental O-300 on display at the Solent Sky museum, England.|
|Type||Piston aircraft engine|
|Developed from||Continental C-125|
The C-145 was developed from the 125 hp (93 kW) C125 engine. Both powerplants share the same crankcase, although the C145 produces an additional 20 hp (15 kW) through a longer piston stroke, higher compression ratio of 7.0:1 and different carburetor jetting.
The O-300 is a modernized C145 and retains the same weight, dimensions, bore, stroke, compression ratio, displacement and output power of the earlier engine.
The GO-300 employs a reduction gearbox, so that the engine turns at 3200 rpm to produce a propeller rpm of 2400. The GO-300 produces 175 hp (130 kW) whereas the ungeared O-300 produces 145 hp (108 kW).
The GO-300 engine has a TBO (Time Between Overhaul) of only 1200 hours, while 1800 hours is the standard for ungeared O-300 engines. The GO-300 engine also suffered reliability problems as a result of pilots mishandling the engine and operating it at too low an engine rpm. This caused the Cessna Skylark to develop a poor reputation for engine reliability. Many Skylarks flying today have been converted to different larger displacement direct drive engines.
- Six-cylinder, 145 hp (108 kW), direct-drive engine.
- Modernized C145, 145 hp (108 kW), direct drive engine.
- Limited production for the Beagle B.218X twin that never went into production
- Geared O-300, 175 hp (130 kW) at 3200 crankshaft rpm, 2400 propeller rpm.
- Voyager 300
- Liquid-cooled, fuel-injected version developing 170 hp (127 kW) at 2,700 rpm.
- Rolls-Royce-Continental O-300
- Licence production in the United Kingdom.
- Aeronca Sedan
- Baumann Brigadier
- Cessna 160 - intended for production model
- Cessna 170
- Cessna 172 and T-41 Mescalero
- Maule M-4
- Meyers MAC-145
- Taylorcraft 15
- Temco TE-1A
- Globe Swift
Reference: Engines for Homebuilt Aircraft & Ultralights
- Type: 6-cylinder air-cooled horizontally opposed aircraft piston engine
- Bore: 4.0625 in (103.2 mm)
- Stroke: 3.875 in (98.4 mm)
- Displacement: 301.4 in³ (4.94 L)
- Length: 39.75 in (101.0 cm)
- Width: 31.5 in (80.0 cm)
- Height: 23.25 in (59.0 cm)
- Dry weight: 268 lbs (121.5 kg) dry, without starter or generator
- Cooling system: Air-cooled
- Power output: 145 hp (108 kW) at 2,700 rpm
- Specific power: 0.58 hp/in³ (26.5 kW/l)
- Compression ratio: 7.0:1
- Power-to-weight ratio: 0.54 hp/lb (0.89 kW/kg)
- Related lists
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Continental O-300.|