Continuous deployment (CD) is a software engineering approach in which software functionalities are delivered frequently through automated deployments. CD contrasts with continuous delivery, a similar approach in which software functionalities are also frequently delivered and deemed to be potentially capable of being deployed but are actually not deployed.
In an environment in which data-centric microservices provide the functionality, and where the microservices can have multiple instances, CD consists of instantiating the new version of a microservice and retiring the old version as it has drained all the requests in flight. 
- Shahin, Mojtaba; Ali Babara, Muhammad; Zhu, Liming (2017). "Continuous Integration, Delivery and Deployment: A Systematic Review on Approaches, Tools, Challenges and Practices". IEEE Access. 5: 3909–3943. arXiv:1703.07019. Bibcode:2017arXiv170307019S. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2685629.
- Holmstrom Olsson, Helena; Alahyari, Hiva; Bosch, Jan (2012). "Climbing the "Stairway to Heaven" -- A Multiple-Case Study Exploring Barriers in the Transition from Agile Development towards Continuous Deployment of Software". Proceedings of the 2012 38th Euromicro Conference on Software Engineering and Advanced Applications. IEEE Computer Society: 392–399. doi:10.1109/SEAA.2012.54. ISBN 978-0-7695-4790-9.
- Claps, Gerry Gerard; Berntsson Svenssonb, Richard; Aurum, Aybüke (2014). "On the journey to continuous deployment: Technical and social challenges along the way". Information and Software Technology. 57: 21–31. doi:10.1016/j.infsof.2014.07.009.
- Shahin, Mojtaba; Babar, Muhammad Ali; Zahedi, Mansooreh; Zhu, Liming (2017). "Beyond Continuous Delivery: An Empirical Investigation of Continuous Deployment Challenges". 2017 ACM/IEEE International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering and Measurement (ESEM). pp. 111–120. doi:10.1109/ESEM.2017.18. ISBN 978-1-5090-4039-1.
- Vera-Rivera, F. H. (2018). "A development process of enterprise applications with microservices". Journal of Physics: Conference Series. 1126 (1): 012017. Bibcode:2018JPhCS1126a2017V. doi:10.1088/1742-6596/1126/1/012017. ISSN 1742-6596.
- Serlet, Bertrand (2019). "Data-centric Software Manifesto". Fungible. Retrieved 2019-10-14.
- Butler, Brandon (2016-11-09). "What you should know about microservices". Computerworld. Retrieved 2019-10-14.