Contournement Nîmes – Montpellier
The line is planned for mixed-use, by both TGV trains and freight, connecting to the LGV Méditerranée and extending it southwest towards the LGV Perpignan–Figueres. Two new TGV stations will be built at Manduel-Redessan (near Nîmes) and Odysseum (near Montpellier); the existing stations would not be able to cope with the expected high volume of TGVs. Unusually, RFF is taking responsibility for building the stations, which will connect to the TER network and to Montpellier's tram network.
Déclaration d'utilité publique was passed in 2005; by May 2009, three bids had been received, out of which in January 2012, a joint venture led by Bouygues in cooperation with Setec, Systra and SGTE was selected to build the railway at a cost of €2·06bn.
A 25-year public–private partnership contract was thereupon signed in June 2012, for construction starting in late 2013 or early 2014 after 18 months of permitting and land acquisition, and an expected opening in December 2017. A further extension towards the LGV Perpignan–Figueres is unlikely to be completed until well after 2020.
- "Southern LGV projects make progress". Railway Gazette International. 9 February 2011. Retrieved 2011-02-14.
- "Nîmes-Montpellier line". EIB. 2 June 2009. Retrieved 2011-02-14.
- "Contournement Nîmes-Montpellier: L'épineuse question du financement" (in French). L'Express. 5 June 2008. Retrieved 2011-02-14.
- "Nîmes – Montpellier bypass moves closer". Railway Gazette International. 4 July 2011.
- "Contournement ferroviaire de Nîmes et Montpellier" (in French). info projet. Retrieved 2011-02-14.
- "Bouygues selected to build Nîmes - Montpellier line". Railway Gazette International. 12 January 2012. Retrieved 17 January 2012.
- "Ligne contournement de Nîmes et Montpellier" (in French). Réseau Ferré de France. Retrieved 2011-02-14.
- "Three bidders for Nîmes - Montpellier". Railway Gazette International. 11 May 2009. Retrieved 2011-02-14.
- "Nîmes - Montpellier contract signed". Railway Gazette International. Retrieved 29 June 2012.
- "Contournement ferroviaire de Nîmes- Montpellier : une étape importante attendue". Secteur Public. Retrieved 2011-02-14.[dead link]