Convalescence is the gradual recovery of health and strength after illness or injury. It refers to the later stage of an infectious disease or illness when the patient recovers and returns to previous health, but may continue to be a source of infection to others even if feeling better. In this sense, "recovery" can be considered a synonymous term. This also sometimes includes patient care after a major surgery, under which they are required to visit the doctor for regular check-ups.
Convalescent care facilities are sometimes recognized by the acronym CCF.
- Rehabilitation, therapy to control a medical condition such as an addiction
- Recuperation (recovery), a period of physical or mental recovery
- Recuperation (sociology), a sociological concept
- Relapse, reappearance of symptoms
- Remission, absence of symptoms in chronic diseases
- Cole WH, Keeton RW, Calloway NO, Glickman N, Mitchell HH, Dyniewicz J, Howes D (October 1947). "Studies in Postoperative Convalescence". Annals of Surgery. 126 (4): 592–609. doi:10.1097/00000658-194710000-00017. PMC 1803419. PMID 17859018.
- Bisgaard T, Kehlet H, Rosenberg J (February 2001). "Pain and convalescence after laparoscopic cholecystectomy". The European Journal of Surgery = Acta Chirurgica. 167 (2): 84–96. doi:10.1080/110241501750070510. PMID 11266262.
- Laplace (February 1946). "Convalescence from surgical procedures. I. Studies of the circulation lying and standing, of tremor, and of a program of bed exercises and early rising". American Heart Journal. 31 (2): 249. doi:10.1016/0002-8703(46)90635-7.
- Tui C, Wright AM, Mulholland JH, Carabba V, Barcham I, Vinci VJ (July 1944). "Studies on Surgical Convalescence I-Sources of Nitrogen Loss Postgastrectomy and Effect of High Amino-Acid and High Caloric Intake on Convalescence". Annals of Surgery. 120 (1): 99–122. doi:10.1097/00000658-194407000-00013. PMC 1617881. PMID 17858477.
- Pillsbury BL (1978). "'Doing the Month': Confinement and Convalescence of Chinese Women After Childbirth". The Embryo Project Encyclopedia. 12. pp. 11–22. PMID 565536. Retrieved 2018-07-12.
- "Transitional Convalescent Facilities (tcf): a pilot alternative rehabilitation programme for patients who require a longer term of rehabilitation". The Gerontologist. 55 (Suppl_2): 719. 2015-10-23. doi:10.1093/geront/gnv358.02.
- The dictionary definition of convalescence at Wiktionary