Convent of Jesus and Mary, Delhi
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Convent of Jesus and Mary|
Near Bangla Sahib Gurudwara
|Motto||To Serve With Love|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Founder||Religious of Jesus and Mary|
The school was founded in 1919 by the order of the Religious of Jesus and Mary, a Roman Catholic congregation, in Lyon, France, in October, 1818, by Claudine Thévenet (Mary of St. Ignatius). It moved to its current building behind the Sacred Heart Cathedral in 1926.
It has 2,000 students and is the alma mater of several eminent women in or from India. Situated near the Gol Dak Khana (Round Post Office), its grounds border the St. Columba's School (for boys). As a result, these are considered "sister and brother schools" and many students have siblings in the other school. Saint Claudine Thevenet was the foundress. The school celebrates her feast day on 3 February. Blessed Dina Bélanger started the congregation.
Annual events such as Prize day, Kaleidoscope, sports day etc. are sponsored by the OSA [the Old Students Association]. There are quiz competitions and magic shows. Festivals like Independence Day and Diwali are celebrated.
Each grade is annually taken on trips, from hill stations to various places of heritage, all school outings are educational and well organized. Foreign trips in collaboration with Edterra are also organized for senior grades .
The school's motto is Semper Jesu et Maria Laudentur, which is Latin for "Praised be forever Jesus and Mary".
In India it is categorized as a minority school and starts from nursery going up to class 12. It offers Arts, Commerce and Science as streams after class 10.
CJM is known for its discipline.
- Agatha Sangma, Member of Parliament, Lok Sabha
- Anna M.M. Vetticad,journalist and Social media consultant
- Aruna Roy, activist
- Arundhati Virmani, historian
- Aung San Suu Kyi, Burmese Democracy activist
- Bhaswati Mukherjee, diplomat
- Devika Bhagat, Bollywood screenwriter and dialogue writer
- Ela Das, Digital Editor at Condé Nast India
- Jessica Lal, ex-model, murdered in 1999
- Kavita Krishnamurthi, singer
- Priyanka Gandhi, daughter of Sonia Gandhi, Indian politician
- Sabrina Dhawan, Screenwriter, Monsoon Wedding and others.
- Kumari Selja, Former Union Minister of State, Independent Charge, Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation
- Sheila Dikshit, Chief Minister of Delhi
- Sujata Madhok, journalist and activist
- Sushma Seth, actress
- Tina Dabi, 2015 UPSC Civil Services topper and winner of the President's Gold Medal.
- Adita Wahi, Actress
- Merin Joseph, IPS
- Ratna Vira- Author
Jesu Marie's our pride
We'll hold her banner high
And keep her honour bright
Until we die.
For we're J .M.'s to the core
We're J.M.'s true
So let cheers ring out free
Long Live, Long Live, Long Live Jesu Marie
When duty calls, we're prompt,
Courageous to the last
When duty end we're ready,
To scale up another mast.
And though one day we'll part
There'll still remain in every hear
The joy that
Jesu Marie's our pride...
CJM follows a house system in which students are divided into four groups or houses.
- Encounter (red)
- Endeavor (blue)
- Endurance (green)
- Official website
- Convent of Jesus and Mary, Murree website
- Convent of Jesus and Mary, Murree past pupils website