Conyngham Township, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania
Wilderness in Conyngham Township, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania in late May
Map of Luzerne County, Pennsylvania Highlighting Conyngham Township
Map of Luzerne County, Pennsylvania
|• Total||17.0 sq mi (44.0 km2)|
|• Land||16.0 sq mi (41.4 km2)|
|• Water||1.0 sq mi (2.5 km2)|
|• Estimate (2016)||1,428|
|• Density||46/sq mi (18/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 17.0 square miles (44.0 km2), of which 16.0 square miles (41.4 km2) is land and 0.97 square miles (2.5 km2), or 5.73%, is water. The largest community in the township is the village of Mocanaqua along the Susquehanna River, directly across from the borough of Shickshinny.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,385 people, 600 households, and 385 families residing in the township. The population density was 87.4 people per square mile (33.8/km2). There were 691 housing units at an average density of 43.6/sq mi (16.8/km2). The racial makeup of the township was 98.19% White, 0.72% Black or African American, 0.58% Asian American, 0.22% from other races, and 0.29% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.79% of the population.
There were 600 households, out of which 24.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.7% were married couples living together, 8.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.7% were non-families. 30.0% of all households were made up of individuals, and 17.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.31 and the average family size was 2.86.
In the township, the population was spread out, with 19.4% under the age of 18, 7.8% from 18 to 24, 28.2% from 25 to 44, 22.8% from 45 to 64, and 21.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 99.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.9 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $31,667, and the median income for a family was $38,681. Males had a median income of $29,688 versus $22,917 for females. The per capita income for the township was $16,946. 10.3% of the population and 6.1% of families were below the poverty line. 11.2% are under the age of 18, and 10.1% of those 65 and older were living below the poverty line.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Conyngham township, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved April 13, 2012.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Conyngham township, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved April 13, 2012.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.