Cookies and cream
|Alternative names||Cookies 'n cream, cookies 'n creme|
|Type||Ice cream and milkshake|
|Main ingredients||Ice cream (usually vanilla), chocolate cookies (usually sandwich cookies or similar)|
The Cookies and cream (or cookies 'n cream) is a common flavoring that is prevalent in desserts such as ice cream and milkshakes that is based on the flavoring of chocolate sandwich cookies with frosting-like cream, with the most popular version containing hand or pre-crumbled cookies from Nabisco's Oreo brand under a licensing agreement. Cookies and cream ice cream generally mixes in crumbled chocolate sandwich cookies into vanilla ice cream, though variations exist which might instead use chocolate, coffee or mint ice cream.
There is some debate as to who first invented and marketed cookies and cream ice cream.
- John Haynes, an ice cream consultant, claimed to have created the flavor in 1976, 1977 or 1978.
- South Dakota State University claims the flavor was invented at the university's dairy plant in 1979
- In a 2005 press release, Blue Bell Creameries claimed they were the first company to mass-produce the flavor, in 1980. In 2006, The New York Times reported that Blue Bell made "no claim to have invented it but certainly pioneered the flavor." However, as of 2020, the company's website proclaimed, "We were first to create this innovative flavor." Blue Bell Creameries applied to register the trademark "Cookies 'n Cream" in 1981.
- John Harrison, the official taster for Dreyer's/Edy's Ice Cream, claims he invented it first for the company in 1982
- Another claimant is Steve Herrell of Massachusetts' Herrell's Ice Cream
- In 1983, cookies and cream became one of the top five best-selling flavors of ice cream.
- Tony Proctor claims to have invented Cookies and Cream Ice cream in Dorthy Jones’ kitchen in Waco, TX in 1982
- "Who is Malcolm?". Malcolm Stogo Associates. 2010. Archived from the original on 2016-10-30. Retrieved 2016-03-07.
- Justin Rocket Silverman (May 14, 2014). "'Godfather of Ice Cream' introducing made-in-Astoria nondairy frozen desserts". New York Daily News.
- "Our Story". Ice Cream University Desserts. Retrieved 2021-02-11.
- History of SDSU Ice Cream. Sdstate.edu. Retrieved on 2018-08-15.
- Blue Bell's Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream New Treat For Summer!. bluebell.com. Retrieved on 2012-07-06.
- R. W. Apple, Jr. (2006-05-31). Making Texas Cows Proud. The NY Times. Retrieved on 2012-07-06.
- Our Products – Year-Round Flavors. bluebell.com. Retrieved on 2020-02-03.
- Trademark Status & Document Retrieval (U.S. Patent and Trademark Office). uspto.gov. Retrieved on 2015-06-18.
- Sara Fiedelholtz (2003-07-11). Taster's career made from ice cream. Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved on 2012-07-06.
- Edy's John Harrison. edys.com. Retrieved on 2012-07-06.
- History of Herrell's. herrells.com. Retrieved on 2012-07-06.
- The History of Ice Cream Archived July 4, 2008, at the Wayback Machine. Makeicecream.com. Retrieved on 2012-07-06.