Cookies and cream
|Alternative names||Cookies 'n cream, cookies 'n creme|
|Type||Ice cream and milkshake|
|Main ingredients||Ice cream (usually vanilla), chocolate cookies (usually Oreo cookies or similar)|
Cookies and cream (or cookies 'n cream) is a variety of ice cream and milkshake based on flavoring from chocolate cookies. Cookies and cream ice cream uses sweet cream ice cream (often vanilla) and chocolate cookies, especially chocolate sandwich cookies, chocolate biscuits with sweet, white crème filling.
Though traditional cookies and cream ice cream is made with vanilla or sweet cream ice cream, there are variations that use chocolate, coffee or mint ice cream instead.
There is some debate as to who first invented and marketed cookies and cream ice cream.
- Malcolm Stogo, an ice cream consultant, claims to have created the flavor in 1976
- South Dakota State University claims the flavor was invented at the university's dairy plant in 1979
- Blue Bell Creameries claim they first mass-produced the flavor in 1980, after an employee tasted it at a Houston ice cream parlor the year before; however, they do state that "Blue Bell makes no claim to have invented it but certainly pioneered the flavor" Blue Bell Creameries applied to register the trademark "Cookies 'n Cream" in 1981.
- John Harrison, the official taster for Dreyer's/Edy's Ice Cream, claims he invented it first for the company in 1982
- Another claimant is Steve Herrell of Massachusetts' Herrell's Ice Cream
In 1983, cookies and cream became the best-selling flavor of ice cream.
- "Who is Malcolm?". Malcolm Stogo Associates. 2010. Retrieved 2016-03-07.
- History of SDSU Ice Cream. Sdstate.edu. Retrieved on 2018-08-15.
- Blue Bell's Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream New Treat For Summer!. bluebell.com. Retrieved on 2012-07-06.
- R. W. Apple, Jr. (2006-05-31). Making Texas Cows Proud. The NY Times. Retrieved on 2012-07-06.
- Trademark Status & Document Retrieval (U.S. Patent and Trademark Office). uspto.gov. Retrieved on 2015-06-18.
- Sara Fiedelholtz (2003-07-11). Taster's career made from ice cream. Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved on 2012-07-06.
- Edy's John Harrison. edys.com. Retrieved on 2012-07-06.
- History of Herrell's. herrells.com. Retrieved on 2012-07-06.
- The History of Ice Cream Archived July 4, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.. Makeicecream.com. Retrieved on 2012-07-06.