Cookies and Cream
|Alternative names||Cookies 'n Cream, Cookies 'n Creme|
|Type||Ice cream and milkshake|
|Main ingredients||Ice cream (usually vanilla), chocolate cookies (usually Oreo cookies or similar)|
|Cookbook: Cookies and Cream Media: Cookies and Cream|
Cookies and Cream (or Cookies 'n Cream) is a variety of ice cream and milkshake based on flavoring from chocolate cookies. Cookies and Cream ice cream uses sweet cream ice cream (often vanilla) and chocolate wafer cookies of any type. The flavor is widely associated with the Hydrox cookie, a kind of cookie sandwich with a sweet, white crème filling commonly used in milkshakes and other frozen desserts.
Though traditional cookies and cream ice cream is made with vanilla or sweet cream ice cream, there are variations that use chocolate, coffee or mint ice cream instead.
There is some debate as to who first invented and marketed Cookies 'n Cream ice cream.
- Malcolm Stogo, an ice cream consultant, claims to have created the flavor in 1976.
- John Harrison, the official taster for Dreyer's/Edy's Ice Cream, claims he invented it first for the company in 1982.
- Blue Bell Creameries claim they first mass-produced the flavor two years earlier in 1980 after an employee tasted it at a Houston ice cream parlour the year before; however, they do state "Blue Bell makes no claim to have invented it but certainly pioneered the flavor." Blue Bell Creameries applied to register the trademark "Cookies 'n Cream" in 1981.
- South Dakota State University claims the flavor was invented at the university's Dairy Plant.
- Another claimant is Steve Herrell of Massachusetts' Herrell's Ice Cream.
In 1983, Cookies 'n Cream became one of the top five best-selling flavors of ice cream.
- "Who is Malcolm?". Malcolm Stogo Associates. 2010. Retrieved 2016-03-07.
- Sara Fiedelholtz (2003-07-11). Taster's career made from ice cream. Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved on 2012-07-06.
- Edy's John Harrison. edys.com. Retrieved on 2012-07-06.
- Blue Bell's Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream New Treat For Summer!. bluebell.com. Retrieved on 2012-07-06.
- R. W. Apple, Jr. (2006-05-31). Making Texas Cows Proud. The NY Times. Retrieved on 2012-07-06.
- Trademark Status & Document Retrieval (U.S. Patent and Trademark Office). uspto.gov. Retrieved on 2015-06-18.
- SDSU Ice Cream. Sdstate.edu (2012-07-07). Retrieved on 2012-07-07.
- History of Herrell's. herrells.com. Retrieved on 2012-07-06.
- The History of Ice Cream Archived July 4, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.. Makeicecream.com. Retrieved on 2012-07-06.