Cool It (film)
|Directed by||Ondi Timoner|
|Based on||Cool It|
|Cinematography||Nasar Abich Jr.|
|Distributed by||Roadside Attractions|
|Box office||$62,713 (US)|
Cool It is a 2010 documentary film based on the book Cool It: The Skeptical Environmentalist's Guide to Global Warming by Danish political scientist Bjørn Lomborg. The film stars Lomborg, best known for authoring The Skeptical Environmentalist. It premiered in September in Canada at the 2010 Toronto International Film Festival and had a theatrical United States release on November 12, 2010. The film was directed by Ondi Timoner.
The film focuses on Lomborg lecturing and brainstorming ideas to make the environmental movement less propagandistic and more realistic, which includes de-emphasizing efforts to stop global warming. Interviews include many scientists and activists both supporting and disputing Lomborg. It also explicitly challenges Al Gore's Oscar-winning environmental awareness documentary, An Inconvenient Truth (2006), and was frequently presented by the media in that light, as in the Wall Street Journal headline, "Controversial 'Cool It' Documentary Takes on 'An Inconvenient Truth'."
Critical reception and box office
While many non-scientist critics welcomed the upbeat, positive nature of the film, most scientific critiques noted some scientific inconsistency and glossing over of facts, a summary of which can be found on the Yale Climate Media forum. The film received a media critic collective rating of 51% from Rotten Tomatoes and 61% from Metacritic. The Atlantic review described it as "An urgent, intelligent, and entertaining account of the climate policy debate, with a strong focus on cost-effective solutions." At the box office, Cool It 's US release grossed $62,713.
- Global Warming and Common Sense. New York Times, November 11, 2010
- "Cool It" movie seeks climate solutions: Lomborg, Reuters
- Liam (September 10, 2010). "TIFF Movie Review: Cool It". Empire Movies. Archived from the original on 2010-09-13.
- Kaufman, Anthony (10 November 2010). "Controversial 'Cool It' Documentary Takes on 'An Inconvenient Truth'". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- Cieply, Michael (22 January 2010). "Filmmaker Seeks to Temper the Message of 'An Inconvenient Truth'". New York Times. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- Jeannette Catsoulis (November 11, 2010). "Global Warming and Common Sense". New York Times review.
- Justin Lowe (November 10, 2010). "Cool It -- Film Review". Hollywood Reporter.
- Betsy Sharkey (November 12, 2010). "Movie review: 'Cool It'". Los Angeles Times.
- Michael Svoboda (May 12, 2011). "A Critical Review of Bjorn Lomborg's Cool It … and of Media 'Complicity' in Climate Contrarianism: Bjorn Yesterday … Bjorn Tomorrow?". Yale Climate Connections.
- "Cool It (2010)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Cool It". Metacritic. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- Crook, Clive (2010-10-06). "Bjorn Lomborg's Movie: Is Quiet the New Loud?". The Atlantic.
- "Cool It". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 21 November 2014.