Cool It (film)
|Directed by||Ondi Timoner|
|Based on||Cool It|
|Produced by||Terry Botwick|
|Cinematography||Nasar Abich Jr.|
|Distributed by||Roadside Attractions|
|Box office||$62,713 (US)|
Cool It is a 2010 documentary film based on the book Cool It: The Skeptical Environmentalist's Guide to Global Warming by Danish political scientist Bjørn Lomborg. The film stars Lomborg, best known for authoring The Skeptical Environmentalist. It premiered in September in Canada at the 2010 Toronto International Film Festival and had a theatrical United States release on November 12, 2010. The film was directed by Ondi Timoner.
The film focuses on Lomborg lecturing and brainstorming ideas to make the environmental movement less propagandistic and more realistic, which includes de-emphasizing efforts to stop global warming. Interviews include many scientists and activists both supporting and disputing Lomborg. It also explicitly challenges Al Gore's Oscar-winning environmental awareness documentary, An Inconvenient Truth (2006), and was frequently presented by the media in that light, as in The Wall Street Journal headline, "Controversial 'Cool It' Documentary Takes on 'An Inconvenient Truth'."
Critical reception and box office
While many non-scientist critics welcomed the upbeat, positive nature of the film, some scientific critiques noted some scientific inconsistency and glossing over of facts, a summary of which can be found on the Yale Climate Media forum. The film received a media critic collective rating of 51% from Rotten Tomatoes and 61% from Metacritic. The Atlantic review by Clive Crook, who describes himself in the article as a "friend" of Lomborg and having taken "his side in the controversy that followed the publication of the Skeptical Environmentalist--a terrific book," called it "An urgent, intelligent, and entertaining account of the climate policy debate, with a strong focus on cost-effective solutions." At the box office, Cool It 's US release grossed $62,713.
- Global Warming and Common Sense. The New York Times, November 11, 2010
- "Cool It" movie seeks climate solutions: Lomborg, Reuters
- Liam (September 10, 2010). "TIFF Movie Review: Cool It". Empire Movies. Archived from the original on 2010-09-13.
- Kaufman, Anthony (10 November 2010). "Controversial 'Cool It' Documentary Takes on 'An Inconvenient Truth'". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- Cieply, Michael (22 January 2010). "Filmmaker Seeks to Temper the Message of 'An Inconvenient Truth'". The New York Times. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- Jeannette Catsoulis (November 11, 2010). "Global Warming and Common Sense". The New York Timesreview.
- Justin Lowe (November 10, 2010). "Cool It -- Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Betsy Sharkey (November 12, 2010). "Movie review: 'Cool It'". Los Angeles Times.
- Michael Svoboda (May 12, 2011). "A Critical Review of Bjorn Lomborg's Cool It … and of Media 'Complicity' in Climate Contrarianism: Bjorn Yesterday … Bjorn Tomorrow?". Yale Climate Connections.
- "Cool It (2010)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Cool It". Metacritic. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- Crook, Clive (2010-10-06). "Bjorn Lomborg's Movie: Is Quiet the New Loud?". The Atlantic. Retrieved 2019-09-14.
- "Cool It". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 21 November 2014.