Cool (district of Rotterdam)
|Neighborhood of Rotterdam|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
Cool is a neighborhood of Rotterdam, Netherlands in the Centrum borough. It is enclosed by the Weena in the north, the Mauritsweg and Schiedamsedijk in the west, Vasteland in the south and the Coolsingel in the east.
The name Cool is first found in 1280. In 1816 the independent municipality of Cool was annexed by the city of Rotterdam. During the Rotterdam Blitz in 1940 much of the district was destroyed but some streets survived such as Oude Binnenweg and Witte de Withstraat.
Places of interest
- Coolsingel, a busy street on which the City Hall and the old main post office are located.
- De Bijenkorf, a department store.
- De Doelen, a concert venue and convention centre.
- Lijnbaan, a pedestrianised shopping street opened in 1953.
- Witte de With Center for Contemporary Art
- WORM, a cultural centre.
|This South Holland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|