Cooler Heads Coalition
The Cooler Heads Coalition is a politically conservative "informal and ad-hoc group" in the United States, financed and operated by the Competitive Enterprise Institute. It describes itself as "focused on dispelling the myths of global warming by exposing flawed economic, scientific, and risk analysis". The Coalition operates a website and blog, and publishes the e-newsletter Cooler Heads Digest (last issued in 2012). It was founded by Consumer Alert.
The New Yorker has described the Cooler Heads Coalition as "an umbrella organization operated by the Competitive Enterprise Institute, a nonprofit that prides itself on its opposition to environmentalists." In the 2011 Oxford Handbook of Climate Change and Society, the Cooler Heads Coalition was listed as one of the "front groups" that form “key components of the climate change denial machine”.
The Cooler Heads Coalition has been criticized for ties to energy industries that would be affected if the United States enacted any legislation targeted at reducing CO2 emissions. The Coalition has been accused by Mother Jones of astroturfing. Writing in October 2004 for The American Prospect, Nicholas Confessore described the Coalition as "an Astroturf group funded by industries opposed to regulation of CO2 emissions".
- 60 Plus Association
- Alexis de Tocqueville Institution
- Americans for Prosperity
- Americans for Tax Reform
- American Legislative Exchange Council
- Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow
- Competitive Enterprise Institute
- Fraser Institute
- George C. Marshall Institute
- The Heartland Institute
- Independent Institute
- Istituto Bruno Leoni
- Lavoisier Group
- Liberty Institute
- National Center for Policy Analysis
- National Center for Public Policy Research
- Quirk, Trevor (2012-02-16). "Explainer: What is the Heartland Institute?". Christian Science Monitor. ISSN 0882-7729. Retrieved 2015-10-11.
- "About". www.globalwarming.org. Retrieved 2015-10-11.
- "Playing Climate-Change Telephone". The New Yorker. 2014-04-29. Retrieved 2015-10-11.
- Revkin, Andrew C. (2011-10-02). "A Map of Organized Climate Change Denial". Dot Earth Blog. The New York Times. Retrieved 2015-10-11.
- David Adam, "Oil industry targets EU climate policy" The Guardian, December 2005.
- "Wingnuts in Sheep's Clothing" , Mother Jones, December 1997
- "Tapped", American Prospect Online, October 19, 2004, at archive.org
- About GlobalWarming.org, retrieved May 2, 2008
- Note: the list of members as of June 2004, as recorded at archive.org, at http://web.archive.org/web/20040616132324/www.consumeralert.org/ncc/members.htm.