A coolship (Anglicized version of the Dutch/Flemish koelschip) is a type of brewing vessel traditionally used in the production of beer. It is a broad, open-top, flat vessel in which wort cools. The high surface-to-mass ratio allows for more efficient cooling. Contemporary usage includes any open fermentor used in the production of beer, even when using modern mechanical cooling techniques. Traditionally, coolships were constructed of wood, but later were lined with iron or copper for better thermal conductivity.
Coolships are still used in traditional lambic brewing, where the wort is cooled and airborne yeasts and bacteria present in the brewery are allowed to inoculate the beer naturally, in order to create a spontaneous fermentation.
Several breweries in North America utilise coolships, including:
- A coolship was created in the United States by Allagash Brewing Company in 2007.
- American Solera, Tulsa, OK
- Anchorage Brewing Company, Anchorage, Alaska
- Burning Beard Brewing Co, San Diego, California
- Dovetail Brewery, Chicago Illinois
- Hill Farmstead, Greensboro, VT
- Monkish Brewing Company, Torrance, CA
- Pen Druid Brewing, Sperryville, Virginia
- Primitive Beer, Longmont, Colorado
- Rivertown Brewing Company, Cincinnati, Ohio
- The Veil Brewing Company, Richmond, Virginia
- Wild Mind Artisan Ales, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Trailway Brewing Company, Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
- Pit Caribou, l'Anse à beaufils, Québec, Canada
- Crooked Run Brewing, Sterling, Virginia
- "Coolship". draftmag.com. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- "Anchor Terminology: Coolship". Anchor Brewing Company. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- George Philliskirk (2011). The Oxford Companion to Beer. Oxford University Press. p. 265. ISBN 9780195367133.
- "COOLSHIP PART ONE: WHAT IS A COOLSHIP?". Retrieved 18 November 2019.
- "Sherry Barrel Western Culture • American Solera". American Solera. 2016-07-20. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- Roberts, James. "The coolship is landing". Anchorage Press. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- "Our Process - Dovetail". Dovetail. Retrieved 2018-09-06.
- "Hill Farmstead Q&A With Shaun Hill". Embrace The Funk. 2012-05-01. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- "Monkish Brewing Co". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- "Pen Druid Brewing on Instagram: "Oh hell yeah! Coolship #1"".
- "Primitive beer on Instagram: "Every beer we make starts out the same! Turbid mash, aged hops, marathon boil, and a night in the koelschip (pictured)"".
- "How does a Beer become Sour? | Rivertown Brewery and Barrel House". rivertownbrewery.com. Retrieved 2017-10-12.
- Martin, Robey (2016-04-11). "First Look: The Veil Brewing Co". richmondmagazine.com. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- "About". www.trailwaybrewing.com. Retrieved 2019-09-06.
- Co, Two Roads Brewing. "Two Roads Brewing Co - Stratford, CT". tworoadsbrewing.com. Retrieved 2017-10-13.