Coolum Beach, Queensland
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Coolum Beach, looking north
|Population||8,497 (2016 census)|
|Location||119 km (74 mi) from Brisbane|
|LGA(s)||Sunshine Coast Region|
Coolum Beach is a beachside town and coastal suburb of the Sunshine Coast Region, Queensland, Australia and is also the name of the beach around which the town is based. In the 2016 census, Coolum Beach had a population of 8,497 people.
In December 1923, land in the Mt Coolum Beach Estate second section went to auction, following the successful sale of portions in the first section, and one month after the official opening of the Moreton Central Sugar Mill Cane Tramway extension to Coolum. All lots are described as having an uninterrupted view of the Pacific Ocean.
The Coolum Library opened in 1989 with a major refurbishment in 1997.
In 2006 Australian census, the population of Coolum was 7,744.
Mount Coolum dominates the landscape, and can be seen from most of Coolum. Mount Coolum National Park provides a 1.6 km bush walk up the mountain to 360 degree views of the coast. The track was upgraded in 2012 to improve safety and accessibility.
Coolum State School is located at the entrance to the town off the Sunshine Motorway.
Coolum Beach is a popular day trip and holiday destination. The town is focused around the beach which is patrolled by life savers and offers swimming and surfing, in its day it is known as one of the best breaks in Queensland. Parks, a boardwalk, esplanade shops, and the surf lifesaver club surround the beach. Over the last five years Coolum Beach has seen heavy development, with new buildings for retail business and holiday apartments.
Notable people who are from or have lived in Coolum include:
- Essena O'Neill, internet celebrity who left social media
- Julian Wilson, professional surfer competing in the World Surf League Men’s Tour.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Coolum Beach (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 25 March 2018.
- "Coolum Beach - population centre in the Sunshine Coast Region (entry 8151)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- "Coolum Beach - suburb of the Sunshine Coast Region (entry 48580)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- "Coolum Beach - beach of the Sunshine Coast Region (entry 8150)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- "Mt. Coolum Beach [Estate] 2nd section". 1923. hdl:10462/deriv/253868. Cite journal requires
- "Advertising". Nambour Chronicle And North Coast Advertiser. XXIII (1128). Queensland, Australia. 24 December 1925. p. 2. Retrieved 29 October 2019 – via National Library of Australia.
- "Public Libraries Statistical Bulletin 2016-17" (PDF). Public Libraries Connect. State Library of Queensland. November 2017. p. 16. Archived (PDF) from the original on 30 January 2018. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Noosa Walks and Trails". www.rwnoosaholidays.com.au. Archived from the original on 9 March 2019. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- "Coolum Library". Sunshine Coast Regional Council. Archived from the original on 30 January 2018. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Coolum Beach, Queensland.|
2. An Island Surrounded by Land; Windolf & Windolf, Zusammen Books, 2004