Coope Boyes and Simpson
The group comprises singers Barry Coope, Jim Boyes (formerly of Swan Arcade) and Lester Simpson, and almost all of their music is sung entirely a cappella, although they have occasionally used accordion, guitar and drums very sparingly on recordings.
They perform a mixture of both traditional folk songs (though often creatively arranged), hymns and carols, and their own original compositions. Most of their albums have been released on the No Masters label - the No Masters Co-operative is a recording and publishing company run by songwriters, singers and musicians based in the North of England.
Much of their music is political in nature, but they also perform sacred music, and have released two albums consisting of Christmas carols and hymns, which receive extensive airplay on Classic FM around Christmas time from DJ Natalie Wheen.
In addition to the three vocalists, the nature of the line up seems to be somewhat fluid, with additional singers joining in as required. Their Christmas recordings are sometimes accredited to 'Voices at the Door', while the trio are also part of the occasional supergroup Blue Murder along with members of Waterson:Carthy and The Watersons. In December 2014 two members of the trio, Coope and Simpson toured with Jo Freya and Fi Fraser with a show of all Christmas songs. Together they produced the album "Hark Hark" on No Masters Cooperative Ltd.
In 2014 they issued In Flanders Fields on No Masters, a 2 CD album as "a homage to the music and song of World War I, having been involved with the In Flanders Fields Museum since 1993". The album includes recordings of wartime songs and their own compositions.
They have also contributed tracks to 'original' compilation albums - e.g. new recordings to which different artists contribute songs, and frequently work with spoken word and performance artists as part of experimental collaborations.
- Funny Old World (1993)
- We're Here Because We're Here (1995) (with Willem Vermandere and Norbert Detaeye) (live)
- Falling Slowly (1996)
- Passchendaele Suite (1996) (with Panta Rehi)
- Hindsight (1998)
- A Garland of Carols (1998)
- Christmas Truce / Kerstbestand (1999) (with Wak Maar Proper)
- Where You Belong (1999)
- What We Sing Is What We Are (compilation) (1999)
- Twenty-four Seven (2003)
- Fire and Sleet and Candlelight (2003) (with Jo Freya, Fi Fraser and Georgina Boyes)
- Triple Echo (2005)
- Private Peaceful: The Concert (2006) (with Michael Morpurgo) (live)
- Voices at the Door: Midwinter Songs and Carols (2006) (with Jo Freya, Fi Fraser and Georgina Boyes)
- as if...(2010)
- On Angel Wings (with Michael Morpurgo) (2012)
- Hark Hark:(Coope & Simpson with Jo Freya, Fi Fraser) Released: 01 December 2014, No Masters Cooperative Ltd
- In Flanders Fields Released: 4 August 2014, No Masters
- Contributing artist
- The Rough Guide to One Voice: Vocal Music from Around the World (1997, World Music Network))
- The Rough Guide to English Roots Music (1998, World Music Network)
- No One Stands Alone (as part of Blue Murder) 2003 Topic
|This article on a United Kingdom band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|