Cooper Bradford Hefner
September 4, 1991
|Occupation||Airman, United States Air Force|
Scarlett Byrne (m. 2019)
|Service/||United States Air Force|
|Years of service||2019–present|
Cooper Bradford Hefner (born September 4, 1991) is an American businessman, teacher, writer, and Reservist in the United States Air Force. Previously, he worked as the chief creative officer of Playboy Enterprises, a company founded by his father Hugh Hefner. Hefner was also founder and initial chief executive officer of the startup company, Hop.
Hefner was born on September 4, 1991 in Los Angeles, California to Hugh Hefner (1926-2017) and Kimberley Conrad. He grew up in a mansion adjacent to the Playboy Mansion, which was purchased by his father after his parents separated. Hefner attended Ojai Valley School before receiving a bachelor's degree from Chapman University.
Hefner started working for Playboy Enterprises, Inc. when he was in college. In early 2016, Hefner, who was a board observer at the time, left the company due to disagreements with then CEO Scott Flanders about the direction the company was taking. Hefner then began editing, writing and publishing op-eds, which centered on politics, culture and philosophy.
In 2016 Hefner launched the media startup company Hop (Hefner Operations & Productions) focused on content and social events for millennials. Hefner returned to Playboy and was named chief creative officer of the company in July 2016 when Hugh Hefner stepped down from that post. In February 2017, Hefner announced nude images would return to the magazine stating that the problem had been the presentation of nude images rather than the nudity itself. Hefner also oversaw the decision to feature Playboy's first transgender playmate in the centerfold for its November issue.
As stated in Forbes, Playboy's earnings for 2017 increased by more than 39% year-over-year following Hefner’s return to the company, where he worked to develop strategic and lucrative partnerships to limit expenses at the company. On January 1, 2018 the Wall Street Journal reported the controlling shareholder of Playboy Enterprises, Inc.—private-equity firm Rizvi Traverse—was considering ending the U.S. print edition of Playboy Magazine and quoted Ben Kohn, managing partner at Rizvi, as stating the magazine has lost as much as $7 million annually in recent years. Hefner has been recognized on The Folio: 100 list for 2017 for his contributions to the magazine media industry as well as appearing on the Forbes 30 Under 30 list for 2018.
In January 2019, Hefner took over as the chief of global partnerships for Playboy Enterprises. In that position, he would focus on revenue and business development over content and media management.
On April 12, 2019 Playboy Enterprises CEO Ben Kohn confirmed Cooper Hefner would exit his senior role at Playboy to launch a media brand, the Hefner Media Corporation, and a digital content platform called HefPost. Later, through Instagram and twitter accounts after having left Playboy, Hefner stated his new digital content platform would be called instead StagDaily.
In December 2019, Hefner halted plans to start a media company and digital content platform, and chose instead to enlist in the United States Air Force. He was previously a member of the California State Military Reserve.
Hefner has been recognized for his activism and work with the LGBTQ+ community. In 2018, he received a British LGBT Award.
In 2015, Hefner became engaged to British actress Scarlett Byrne. On November 4, 2019, Hefner and Byrne announced that they had married. On March 10, 2020, Hefner and his wife Scarlett announced they are expecting their first child.
- Millington, Alison (September 28, 2017). "The insane life of 26-year-old Cooper Hefner, son of the late Playboy millionaire". Business Insider. Retrieved December 18, 2017.
- Baum, Gary (August 24, 2017). "The Next Hef: Hugh's 25-Year-Old Son Reveals Plan to Remake Playboy 'For My Generation'". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 18, 2017.
- Kari Hamanaka. "Cooper Hefner, Modern Day Playboy".
- Ziv, Stav (September 28, 2017). "Who Is Cooper Hefner? Hugh's Son Doesn't Respect Trump And Is Revamping 'Playboy' For New Generations". Newsweek. Retrieved December 18, 2017.
- Wile, Rob (September 28, 2017). "Meet Cooper Hefner, the 26-Year-Old Heir to the Playboy Empire". Time. Retrieved December 18, 2017.
- Staff writer (September 29, 2017). "High Hefner's youngest son to take over million-dollar Playboy Empire". News Corp Australia Network. Retrieved December 18, 2017.
- Tavana, Art (July 21, 2016). "Can Cooper Hefner Make Playboy Cool Again? We're About to Find Out". LA Weekly. Retrieved December 18, 2017.
- Marquina, Sierra (August 6, 2015). "Cooper Hefner Engaged to Falling Skies Actress Scarlett Byrne – See Her Massive Ring!". Us Magazine. Retrieved December 18, 2017.
- "Hugh Hefner's son reveals what it was like growing up in the Playboy Mansion". Business Insider.
- Staff writer (November 29, 2012). "Playboy Founder Hugh Hefner Talks Life and Company". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved December 19, 2017.
- "A Speakeasy Night By Hop Media". Red Hot Retro. Archived from the original on 2018-01-01. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- Salam, Maya (October 19, 2017). "Playboy to Feature Its First Transgender Playmate". The New York Times. Retrieved December 19, 2017.
- "Cooper Hefner, 26". Forbes.
- "The Folio: 100 Awards". Folio Magazine.
- "Cooper Hefner takes over as Chief, Global Partnership".
- "Meredith Appoints New Chief Strategy Officer , People on the Move".
- "Cooper Hefner Exits Playboy Role to Launch Millennial-Focused Website HefPost". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Hugh Hefner's Son Joins Air Force". Fox News.
- Millington, Allison. "The insane life of 26-year-old Cooper Hefner, son of the late Playboy millionaire". Business Insider. Retrieved 5 October 2017.
- Cooper Hefner [@cooperhefner] (Nov 5, 2018). "twitter.com/cooperhefner/status/1059526172747292672" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Gardner, Chris. "Cooper Hefner and Wife Scarlett Expecting First Child". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2020-03-28.
- Newman, Vicki (8 February 2018). "Hugh Hefner's son and Playboy heir Cooper Hefner "honoured" by British LGBT Awards nomination as he heads to London ceremony". Mirror. Retrieved 25 March 2018.
- Scarlet Byrne @scarleybyrne on Instagram Scarlett Byrne/Scarlett Hefner Instagram account. Retrieved 5 November 2019.
- Cooper Hefner @cooperhefner on Instagram Cooper Hefner Instagram account.Retrieved 5 November 2019
- "Hugh Hefner's Son Cooper and Wife Scarlett Byrne Expecting Their First Child". eonline.com. 10 March 2020.