|Headquarters||Scarborough, North Yorkshire, England|
Number of locations
|Products||Bread, sandwiches, drinks and pastries, baked goods|
Cooplands produces takeaway food chiefly for the lunch-time trade, specialising in sandwiches, pasties, desserts, cakes, and bread. It competes with other local café and takeaway outlets, and national and international high street food chains and franchises.
In 1999, the company opened 10 new stores, and expanded production at its Scarborough-based bakery with the creation of 80 new jobs. A further expansion was announced in June 2007 when it acquired the Hull-based bakery, Skeltons. The purchase added 34 outlets to the Cooplands chain.
In April 2011, Woodhead Bakery, a rival Scarborough-based chain, fell into administration. Of the 29 Woodhead outlets, Cooplands bought 18, and the rest were purchased by the Haldane Retail Group.
In 2005, Cooplands was noted as being an "established NVQ training centre", and received a National Training Award for staff training. The same year it held a "Careers in the Bakery Industry" event, with career advisors discussing employment opportunities.
The Doncaster-based Cooplands chain is part of the same family, and has a similar business model to the Scarborough chain, but operates independently. Coopland (Doncaster) Ltd. has outlets across South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, North Nottinghamshire and parts of Lincolnshire. It is a Private Limited Company, incorporated in 1933, with a 2011 turnover of £18.6 million. In February 2015 Cooplands Doncaster announced it had gone into administration and would close 39 stores and its head office and bakery in Doncaster.
- "Rollits help Cooplands of Scarborough expand". Rollits.com. 28 April 2011. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Coopland & Son (Scarborough) Limited". Work smart. TUC. Retrieved 14 May 2012.[dead link]
- "Case Studies - Live Case Studies - Company Case Studies - Rising to Success - Improve Ltd". Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on 4 April 2008. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Cooplands buys Skeltons - British Baker". Bakeryinfo.co.uk. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Woodhead Bakery saved from administration | Food Industry News". just-food. 18 April 2011. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Ainsleys bakery jobs saved in sell-off deal". BBC News. 8 February 2010. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Cooplands (Doncaster) Ltd.". Work smart. TUC. Retrieved 14 May 2012.[dead link]
- "Cooplands stores across Grimsby, Cleethorpes, Immingham and Louth will not be affected by closures". Grimsby Telegraph. 6 February 2015. Retrieved 2 August 2015.