The trophy awarded to champions
|Number of teams||2|
|Related competitions||Primera División|
|Last champions||River Plate (2015)|
Canal 26 (UHF and Pay TV)
The Copa Campeonato Primera División (familiarly known as Superfinal) was an official Argentine football cup competition organized by the Argentine Football Association. It was played in a single match format between the Torneo Inicial and Torneo Final champions.
Originally awarded to Primera División champions, the trophy is the oldest in Argentine football, having been awarded for the first time in 1896, three years after the Argentine Football Association was established, and played without interruption until 1926. The Cup received several names, such as "Championship Cup", "Copa Campeonato", "Challenge Cup" and "Copa Alumni", due to the association offered legendary team Alumni to keep the Cup definitely for having won it three consecutive times (1900-02), but the club from Belgrano declined the honour to keep the trophy under dispute.
On June, 2013, the association decided to put the trophy back into circulation with the creation of a new competition, named "Superfinal" that consisted in a single match between winners of Torneo Inicial and Torneo Final, played in a neutral venue.
The first edition of the competition was awarded as a Primera División league title so Vélez Sársfield achieved its 10th league championship after defeating Newell's Old Boys, but the association then changed the rules, deciding that the competition would not count as a Primera División title but a domestic cup since its second edition.
|2013||Vélez Sarsfield [a]||Newell's Old Boys||1–0||Malvinas Argentinas||Mendoza|
|2014||River Plate [b]||San Lorenzo||1–0||Juan G. Funes||San Luis|
- "El trofeo más añejo del fútbol argentino" on Copa Argentina website, 26 Jun 2013
- Orígenes: El fútbol, una pasión argentina on AFA website (Archive, 30 Nov 2014)
- Memoria y Balance 1935 - Argentine Football Association Library
- "Presentaron Superfinal Vélez-Newell's" on ESPN
- "Una Copa con mucha historia", Diario Uno, 27 Jun 2013
- "Súper campeón: Vélez venció a Newell's y sumó un nuevo título oficial" on CanchaLlena.com, 29 Jun 2013
- "Vélez venció a Newell's y es el Supercampeón", Clarín, 29 Jun 2013
- "Vélez será el único supercampeón de la historia del fútbol argentino" on MinutoUno.com, 18 Jul 2013
- "La AFA homologó la Superfinal de River como una Copa Nacional" on CanchaLlena.com
- Campeones de Copas Nacionales on AFA website
- "Superfinal: River le ganó a San Lorenzo y se quedó con la Copa Campeonato", LaVoz, 24 May 2014
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Copa Campeonato.|