Copenhagen City Hall
|Copenhagen City Hall|
Copenhagen City Hall is situated on City Hall Square
|Architectural style||National Romantic style|
|Town or city||Copenhagen|
|Design and construction|
Copenhagen City Hall (Danish: Københavns Rådhus) is the headquarters of the municipal council as well as the Lord mayor of the Copenhagen Municipality, Denmark. The building is situated on City Hall Square in central Copenhagen.
The current building was inaugurated in 1905. It was designed by the architect Martin Nyrop in the National Romantic style but with inspiration from the Siena City Hall. It is dominated by its richly ornamented front, the gilded statue of Absalon just above the balcony and the tall, slim clock tower. The latter is at 105.6 metres one of the tallest buildings in the generally low city of Copenhagen.
In addition to the tower clock, the City Hall also houses Jens Olsen's World Clock.
The current city hall was designed by architect Martin Nyrop and the design for the building was inspired by the city hall of Siena, Italy. Construction began in 1892 and the hall was opened on September 12, 1905.
It was not until 1815 that a new city hall, designed by C.F.Hansen, was erected on Nytorv. It was intended to house both the city hall and a court. Today it is still in use as the city court of Copenhagen.
- Many of the hospital scenes where Lili Elbe (Eddie Redmayne) undergoes her operations in the 2015 drama film The Danish Girl were filmed in the atrium of Copenhagen City Hall.
- "Rådhustårnets ur / City Hall Tower Clock - Copenhagen, Denmark". waymarking.com. Retrieved 2009-11-08.
- Barbara M. Lane, National Romanticism and Modern Architecture in Germany and the Scandinavian Countries (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000).
- "Copenhagen City Hall Tower". National Bank of Denmark. 8 July 2011. Archived from the original on 16 October 2013. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "Tour The Danish Girl locations". visitdenmark.dk. Retrieved 9 October 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Town hall of Copenhagen.|