Copiague, New York
Copiague, New York
U.S. Census map
|• Total||3.2 sq mi (8.4 km2)|
|• Land||3.2 sq mi (8.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||23 ft (7 m)|
|• Density||7,100/sq mi (2,700/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0947414|
Copiague (// KOH-payg) is a hamlet on Long Island (and census-designated place) in Suffolk County, New York, United States. The population was 22,993 at the 2010 census. Copiague is an unincorporated place within Babylon, New York.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 3.2 square miles (8.4 km2), of which 3.2 square miles (8.3 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.1 km2), or 0.88%, is water.
South of Montauk Highway, Copiague is divided into three major peninsulas:
- The southwestern peninsula is known as Amity Harbor and is served by the Amityville Post Office.
- The central peninsula is known as Copiague Harbor and is served by the Copiague Post Office.
- The southeastern peninsula is known as Venice and is served by the Lindenhurst Post Office.
There were 7,919 housing units, of which 82.0% were owner-occupied. 4.8% of housing units were vacant and 28.0% of occupied housing units were occupied by renters.
The racial makeup of the CDP was 83.5% White, 7.6% African American, 0.3% Native American, 2.2% Asian, 0.0% Pacific Islander, 13.0% some other race, and 3.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 32.7% of the population. The CDP was 57.3% non-Hispanic White.
There were 7,535 households, out of which 29.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.2% were headed by married couples living together, 14.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.4% were non-families. 21.4% of all households were made up of individuals, and 8.9% were someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.04 and the average family size was 3.44.
In the CDP, the population was spread out, with 21.2% under the age of 18, 9.2% from 18 to 24, 29.6% from 25 to 44, 28.1% from 45 to 64, and 11.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38.4 years.
For the period 2009–2011, it was estimated that 94.9% of the population had lived in the same house 1 year and over. 29.2% of the population were foreign-born, and 34.8% of residents at least 5 years old spoke a language other than English at home.
Between 2009 and 2011, 84.9% of residents at least 25 years old had graduated from high school, and 20.9% of residents at least 25 years old had a bachelor's degree or higher. The mean travel time to work for workers aged 16 and over was 25.1 minutes.
Most of Copiague is served by the Copiague Union Free School District, which also serves most of North Amityville, a small portion of North Lindenhurst, and a very small portion of East Farmingdale. However, a portion of Copiague, west of Bayview Avenue and north of Dixon Avenue, is in the Amityville Union Free School District.
As of the 2010–2011 school year, the Copiague Union Free School District had 4,720 students.
The district operates six schools:
- Four elementary schools (Grades K–5):
Deauville Gardens East, Deauville Gardens West, Great Neck Road, and Susan E. Wiley
- One middle school (Grades 6–8): Copiague Middle School
- One high school (Grades 9–12): Copiague High School
- Jerry Schatz, child actor
- Chris Chetti, professional wrestler
- Kene Holliday, actor
- Donnie McClurkin, gospel singer and minister
- Mike James, NBA player
- John Tartamella, union organizer
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Copiague CDP, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on 2020-02-12. Retrieved 2012-12-26. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Copiague CDP, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on 2020-02-12. Retrieved 2012-12-26. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Selected Social Characteristics in the United States: 2009-2011 American Community Survey 3-Year Estimates (DP02): Copiague CDP, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on 2020-02-12. Retrieved 2012-12-26. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Selected Economic Characteristics: 2009-2011 American Community Survey 3-Year Estimates (DP03): Copiague CDP, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on 2020-02-12. Retrieved 2012-12-26. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)