As a copper and zinc-mining area, Copperton saw its heyday between 1970 and the end of the 20th century, when it housed about 3,000 workers and their families; amenities included a school and recreation facilities, including a golf course.
The copper-zinc mine at Copperton, which had been opened in 1972, was shut down in 1991 by the Anglovaal Mining Group. The 2011 census found 57 inhabitants. Today, most of the buildings have been demolished and only a few houses are used by Armscor, who operate a weapons testing center, Alkantpan Test Range, in the area.
Several new renewable energy projects (solar and wind) have been allocated through the REIPPPP and these projects will be constructed in the vicinity of this town.
|Copperton Windfarm||Northern Cape, Copperton||(late 2017)||(102)||Wind||Contracting||Gestamp Wind|||
|Garob Wind Farm||Northern Cape, Copperton||(Oct 2018)||(136)||Wind||Contracting||Enel Green Power|||
|Mulilo Renewable Energy Solar PV Prieska||Northern Cape, Copperton||1 October 2014||19.93||Solar PV||Operational||Mulilo Renewable Energy|||
|Mulilo Sonnedix Prieska PV||Northern Cape, Copperton||(Dec 2015)||(75)||Solar PV||Under Construction||Mulilo Renewable Energy|||
|Mulilo Prieska PV||Northern Cape, Copperton||(Nov 2015)||(75)||Solar PV||Under Construction||Mulilo Renewable Energy||Area: 205 hectares |
- "Copperton". Tracks4Africa Padkos. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- "Proposed Pv2-11 Photovoltaic Energy Plants On Farm Hoekplaas Near Copperton, Northern Cape" (PDF). South African Heritage Resources Agency Information System. p. 55. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- "Main Place Copperton". Census 2011. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- Change, United Nations Framework Convention on Climate. "CDM: Copperton Wind Farm (Mabanaft-SA-Wind-001)". cdm.unfccc.int. Retrieved 2015-09-22.
- "COPPERTON WIND ENERGY FACILITY BIRD IMPACT ASSESSMENT" (PDF).
- "Project Design Document (PDD)" (PDF).
- "NERSA Hearing 20 February 2014 Garob Wind Farm" (PDF).
- "Mulilo Renewable Energy Solar PV Prieska" (PDF). Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Mulilo Sonnedix Prieska PV (PTY) LTD 75MW Solar PV Power Plant" (PDF). Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "Mulilo Prieska PV (PTY) LTD 75MW Solar PV Power Plant" (PDF). Retrieved 18 April 2015.
|This Northern Cape location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|