Shire of Corangamite
|Shire of Corangamite
Location in Victoria
|Population||16,376 (2011 census)|
|• Density||3.7159/km2 (9.6242/sq mi)|
|Gazetted||23 September 1994|
|Area||4,407 km2 (1,701.6 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Cr Chris O'Connor|
|Region||Barwon South West|
|Website||Shire of Corangamite|
The Shire of Corangamite is a local government area in the Barwon South West region of Victoria, Australia, located in the south-western part of the state. It covers an area of 4,407 square kilometres (1,702 sq mi) and, at the 2011 Census, had a population of 16,376. It includes the towns of Camperdown, Terang, Cobden, Timboon, Port Campbell and Skipton. It was formed in 1994 from the amalgamation of the Town of Camperdown, Shire of Hampden, Shire of Heytesbury, and parts of the Shire of Otway, Shire of Mortlake and Shire of Warrnambool.
The Shire is governed and administered by the Corangamite Shire Council; its seat of local government and administrative centre is located at the council headquarters in Camperdown. The Shire is named after the major geographical feature in the region, Lake Corangamite, which is located on the eastern boundary of the LGA.
The council is composed of five wards and seven councillors, with three councillors elected to represent the Central Ward and one councillor per remaining ward elected to represent each of the other wards.
|Chris O'Connor||Mayor (2013–14)|
|South Central||Joanne Beard|
Administration and governance
The council meets in the council chambers at the council headquarters in the Camperdown Municipal Offices, which is also the location of the council's administrative activities. It also provides customer services at its administrative centre in Camperdown.
- Census QuickStats (2011). "Corangamite (S) – LGA21830". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Government of Australia. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Victoria Government Gazette – Online Archive (1837–1997). "S63 of 1994". State Library of Victoria. State Government of Victoria (published 23 September 1994). pp. 3–4. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Local Government in Victoria. "Corangamite Shire Council". Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure. State Government of Victoria. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
Media related to Shire of Corangamite at Wikimedia Commons
- Corangamite Shire Council official website
- Metlink local public transport map
- Link to Land Victoria interactive maps
|This Australian government-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|