|Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust|
The Corbett Hospital Outpatient Centre
|Location||Amblecote, West Midlands, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Lists||Hospitals in the United Kingdom|
Corbett Hospital is a National Health Service (NHS) hospital run by the Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust located in Amblecote, Stourbridge, West Midlands, England. The current hospital is an out-patient centre which opened on 25 May 2007 in a ceremony conducted by Tony Blair as part of his farewell tour before resigning as Prime Minister.
The Old Hospital
The old hospital had its origins in a seven-bedroom mansion was known as The Hill, the home of George Mills, a glass manufacturer who was a partner in the Albert Glass House situated in Wordsley. He committed suicide on 13 November 1885 after several years of mental illness. He left debts of £11,344-12s-6d, and even though the house was in a poor state of repair it was eventually sold to pay of the liabilities.
John Corbett, who spent his youth living at the Delph, made his fortune producing salt at Stoke Prior, Worcestershire and, perhaps remembering his youth, purchased the rather rundown house in December 1891. He repaired and refurbished the house, changing its use into a hospital, and endowed it to the local people on 31 July 1893, with a sum of £2,000 for endowment.
Accident and emergency unit
As recently as the late 1990s, there was widespread local campaigning for the return of accident and emergency facilities at the Corbett, on the grounds that such a facility there would have reduced the waiting time for people around Stourbridge needing the service.
The original Corbett Hospital closed in 2005 after 112 years in use. The new building is situated within the grounds of the original one, which was demolished in late 2007.
- "Prime Minister visits new hospital unit". Stourbridge News. 25 May 2007. Retrieved 15 December 2008.
- "Corbett Hospital Timeline". Amblecote History Society. Retrieved 15 April 2018.
- "Goodbye and thank you to Corbett staff". Stourbridge News. 17 February 2005. Retrieved 15 December 2008.
- "Demolition begins at hospital". Express And Star. 5 December 2007. Retrieved 15 December 2008.
- "Freedom of Information Response" (PDF). The Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust. Retrieved 15 April 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 23 February 2009. Retrieved 15 May 2010.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Tonks, Phil (11 September 2001). "Look Back at Dudley". Retrieved 15 April 2018.