January 23, 1987 |
|June 8, 2011, for the Cleveland Indians|
(through 2013 season)
|Runs batted in||11|
Robert Cord Phelps (born January 23, 1987) is an American professional baseball infielder who is a free agent. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Cleveland Indians and Baltimore Orioles.
Phelps attended Santa Barbara High School and played collegiate baseball for the Stanford Cardinal and spent three years with them. He finished his college career with a .307 batting average and 115 runs scored. The Cleveland Indians selected him in the third round of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft.
Phelps began his professional career with the Mahoning Valley Scrappers for 25 games in 2008, then spent the 2009 season with the Kinston Indians. In 130 games for them, he had a .261 batting average and 17 stolen bases. Phelps split the 2010 season between the Akron Aeros and Columbus Clippers, and had a .317 average with the Clippers in 66 games. He started 2011 with the Clippers, and in 97 games had a .294 average.
Phelps was called up to the majors for the first time on June 8, 2011. On June 19, Phelps hit his first career major league home run, a walk-off in the 11th inning against Pittsburgh Pirates reliever Tim Wood. Phelps played a total of 53 games during his three seasons with the Indians, primarily spending that time with the Clippers. He was designated for assignment on November 20, 2013.
After being designated for assignment, Phelps was claimed off waivers by the Baltimore Orioles on November 25, 2013, as part of their attempt to replace Brian Roberts and give themselves depth in the infield. After being picked up by the Orioles, he was slated to begin the 2014 season with the AAA Norfolk Tides. On August 24, 2014, after playing in three games for the Orioles, they designated Phelps for assignment, and he returned to Norfolk, where he had spent the 2014 season.
Phelps signed a minor league deal with the Philadelphia Phillies on November 25, 2014.
- "Player Bio: Cord Phelps". Stanford University. Retrieved September 12, 2014.
- "Cord Phelps Minor League Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference, LLC. Retrieved September 12, 2014.
- Manoloff, Dennis (7 June 2011). "Cleveland Indians have promoted INF Cord Phelps from Class AAA Columbus, source says". The Plain Dealer. Cleveland, OH: Advance Media. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Meisel, Zack (19 June 2011). "Phelps powers Indians past Pirates in 11th". Mlb.com. Major League Baseball Advanced Media. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Zuppe, T.J. (November 20, 2013). "Indians Add Five Players To 40-Man Roster, DFA Cord Phelps". CBS Cleveland. Retrieved August 24, 2014.
- Ghiroli, Brittany (November 25, 2013). "Orioles pluck infielder Phelps off waivers from Indians". MLB.com. Retrieved August 24, 2014.
- "Orioles outright infielder Cord Phelps to Triple-A Norfolk". masnsports.com. December 9, 2013. Retrieved December 9, 2013.
- "Orioles add RHP Miguel Gonzalez to rotation". ESPN.com. Associated Press. August 24, 2014. Retrieved August 24, 2014.