|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Corel PaintShop Pro Photo X2 in Windows Vista
|Initial release||early 1990s|
X9 (19) / August 18, 2016
|Type||Raster graphics editor, vector graphics editor|
PaintShop Pro (PSP) is a raster and vector graphics editor for Microsoft Windows. It was originally published by Jasc Software. In October 2004, Corel purchased Jasc Software and the distribution rights to Paint Shop Pro. PSP functionality can be extended by Photoshop-compatible plugins.
The X-numbered editions have been sold in two versions: PaintShop Pro, which is the basic editing program, and PaintShop Pro Ultimate, which bundles in other standalone programs, additional artistic tools and/or plugins. The particular bundled programs have varied with each numbered version and have not been sold by Corel as separate products.
PSP comes with an interface for automating tasks with scripts written in Python.
- 1 History
- 2 Picture tubes
- 3 Ultimate edition
- 4 Other related versions and products
- 5 License management software
- 6 Criticism of pricing policy
- 7 International 32 bit versions Fault and Criticism
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Originally called simply Paint Shop, the first version, 1.0, was a basic picture converter between BMP, GIF and PCX formats, released by Robert Voit in August 1990. Paint Shop was originally distributed as shareware and is still available at many download sites (4.12 being a popular version). Most newer versions are only commercially available although some have been distributed in the United Kingdom in computer magazine CDs after they became obsolete.
Paint Shop Pro 5 added support for layers as well as CMYK and HSL colour modes, included JASC Animation Shop for creating animations and in fact was marketed as "Paint Shop Pro 5.0 with Animation Shop". PaintShop Pro X6 was the first to be available as a native 64 bit version (purchase includes both versions). PaintShop Pro X7 includes content-aware features such as "Magic Fill" and "Smart Edge" as well as support for XMP sidecar files that preserve edit settings for raw formats.
From 2006 to 2011 (versions XI to X3), PaintShop Pro was marketed as "Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo". Having dropped the "Photo" part of the name in version X4, Paintshop Pro X5 was derived from Ulead Photo Explorer after Corel's acquisition of Ulead.
Picture tubes are graphic images with no background. They are often used as a starting point for complex images; that is, they are combined with other image elements to produce a final work. Tubes can also be regarded as graphic brushes based on a pre-created image; this was their original use. Instead of leaving a trace of color on the canvas, they would leave a trail of images. Popular tube subjects include alphabets, humans (also known as dollz), animal and toy figures, flowers, love messages and seasonal symbols.
The tube system originated with PSP Pro version 5. Native tube files may be in .tub, .psp, .pspimage, and .psptube formats. XnView, IrfanView, and TubeEx are separate graphics programs that can convert tube files (.tub) to .png.
PaintShop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate was released towards the end of life of PaintShop Pro Photo X2, in September 2008. It included 150 additional picture frames and Picture Tubes, the programs Background Remover, Corel Painter Photo Essentials 4, and Photorecovery, as well as RAW support for 250 cameras and a 2GB flash drive.
Subsequent Ultimate editions were released contemporaneously with the basic version. PaintShop Pro X4 Ultimate included Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0, a voucher for 21 images from Fotolia at high quality, and additional Picture Tubes. X5 Ultimate included Reallusion FaceFilter Studio 2.0, NIK Color Efex Pro 3.0, and "over 100 unique brushes, textures and royalty-free backgrounds". PaintShop Pro X6 Ultimate includes Athentech Imaging's Perfectly Clear and Reallusion's FaceFilter3 Standard. PaintShop Pro X7 Ultimate includes those same two items.
The bundled extras cannot be installed unless that version of the PaintShop program is already installed. However, once a bundled extra such as a plugin has been installed, the installed files can be copied to other versions, e.g., a plugin installed under X5 can be copied to X6 and even if X5 is then uninstalled, the plugin will continue to work under X6. Corel releases a new X version roughly annually, so this ability to copy means PSP users do not have to choose between updating or continued use of Ultimate add-ons from previous versions.
- Paint Shop Pro Personal is a version of JASC Paint Shop Pro 9 for the Japanese market, published by Sourcenext Corporation.
- Paint Shop Photo Album is a simplified version of Paint Shop Pro designed to enhance, organize, and share digital photos. The Corel version was released as version 5.
- Corel Paint Shop Pro Album Personal is a version of Corel Paint Shop Pro Album 5 Deluxe for Japan market, published by Sourcenext Corporation.
- Corel Photo Album is the successor of Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album. First release was version 6.
- Corel PaintShop Photo Express is the successor of Corel Photo Album. First release was PaintShop Photo Express 2010.
- Paint Shop Pro Photo Studio is a site launched as part of Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 launch celebration.
License management software
Versions XI, through to X8 install a third party program named PSIService.exe, a Windows service called ProtexisLicensing. Written by Protexis, this runs in the background and collects licensing information. This program communicates with a remote host. Manually disabling the Protexis Licensing service may cause Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo to cease functioning.
Criticism of pricing policy
There have been criticisms of Corel's pricing policy that pitches international versions at higher prices than those charged in the US.
International 32 bit versions Fault and Criticism
- Paintshop Pro X8 and Paintshop Pro X9 ( Japanese version ) related with series ( Ultimate a version is included ),"edit" Tab > Screen > Menu > Effects  Plug-in acquisition > Plug-in further acquisition ,Paintshop Pro X9 Ultimate button is "charged plug-in" (all the 7 item : " All , Sale , Plug-in , Application , Scripts , Brush , Altogether") in the purchase screen which pops up.
When the user purchase settlement of accounts (credit card, Paypal, and WebMoney) is carried out, in spite of making the display of "Finishing of purchase" - "Finishing of download", It is the folder (for example, if it is a charged scripts "Scripts-Restriction" and "Scripts-Trusted") on directory which should have charged contents ( " Filename extension .PspScript " ) besides a "script" essentially in fact not downloading in fact against the display "downloaded completion" therefore the phenomenon in which it was not installed, either January 8 2017, carrying out as (Japan Standard Time) generating of the day.  this fault not only "Charged plug-in" but the completely same fault occurs also about the free plug-in (for example, purple color tint .PspScript script of Japanese Katakana notation "パープルカラー・ティント .PspScript " ).
- However, this fault," Japanese version Paintshop ProX8 and Paintshop Pro X9 -- the Japanese contents ("JP") under 32-bit environment of the addition plug-in of which was notified in an inner pop-up purchase window having produced operating system of Windows under 64-bit environment , or "Photo Scripts ･ Discovery Center Store". shop.learn.corel.com. Retrieved 12 January 2017. ZIP (file format) by Canadian dollar settlement of accounts from the computer archive of applicable contents 、or "How to Use Scripts - Corel Discovery Center". shop.learn.corel.com. Retrieved 12 January 2017. was based on the free download from "PurpleColorTint_freebie.zip". shop.learn.corel.com. Retrieved 12 January 2017. .
Applicable file by file decompression by English character. Purple .PspScript "my documents > Corel Paintshop Pro > 18.0 (X8) or 19.0(X9)> Script with restriction " By directory manual arrangement,Although there is a difference (English notation) of language, the obstacle has not occurred.
- "Photo Editor - Corel PaintShop Pro X9 Ultimate". Paintshoppro.com. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "See "Paint Shop v1.0 - for Windows 3.0"". Cd.textfiles.com. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- "NEWS! - Digital Cameras, Digital Imaging, Digital Photography, Digital Scanners". Imaging-resource.com. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "Corel to close Eden Prairie office". Startribune.com. 2007-11-29. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- "Jasc Software Announces Public Beta of Paint Shop Pro 5 with Animation Shop". Jasc.com. 14 May 1998. Archived from the original on 1998-05-14. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "New 64-Bit Corel® PaintShop® Pro X6 Delivers on Users' Top Request" (PDF). Corel.com. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "Corel Paintshop Pro X&" (PDF). Img.paintshoppro.com. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "Ulead is Now a Corel Company". Corel.com. 26 March 2013. Archived from the original on March 26, 2013. Retrieved 2016-06-16. [better source needed]
- Michael Bednarek (2011-08-27). "Discussion of introduction of tubes to JASC Paint Shop Pro 5". Irt.org. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- "Discussion of Paint Shop Pro Picture Tubes, tutorials and tips". Graphicssoft.about.com. 2011-08-30. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- "Newsroom - News releases". Corel.com. 28 September 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-09-28. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "News Releases - Newsroom". Corel.com. 5 November 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-11-05. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "ソースネクスト、コーレルのグラフィックソフトも1980円で". Japan.cnet.com. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "プレスリリース - ソースネクスト、コーレルと販売提携". Sourcenext.info. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "プレスリリース - Paint Shop(TM)Pro(R)パーソナル". Sourcenext.info. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "プレスリリース - Corel(R) Paint Shop Pro(TM) Album パーソナル". Sourcenext.info. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- Burley, Ian (2007-09-22). "Features - Critical Focus: Software pricing - it's an international rip-off - Digital Photography Now". Dpnow.com. Retrieved 2016-11-22.
- The button the lowest the stage (16th from the highest rung )
- "Paintshop Pro X9 Ultimate - Robotech chronicles -". Robotech chronicles (Ms.Yui Yuasa). Retrieved 12 January 2017.
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Official website
- Jasc, Inc. Paint Shop Pro page: 3.12, 4.12, 4.14
- Jasc Software, Inc. Paint Shop Pro page: 5.0, 5.01, 6.0, 6.02, 7, 7.02, 7 10th Anniversary Edition (7.04), 7 Anniversary Edition, 8, Power Suite
- Corel Paint Shop Pro page: 9, Pro Studio, X, Photo Art Suite
- Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo page: XI, XI Education Edition, X2, X2 Ultimate
- Corel PaintShop Photo Pro page: X3, X3 Ultimate
- Corel PaintShop Pro page: X4, X4 Ultimate, X5, X5 Ultimate, X6, X6 Ultimate
- Paint Shop Pro Photo Studio
- Sourcenext pages: Paint Shop Pro Personal, Paint Shop Pro Personal support
- P&A., Inc. Jasc Paint Shop Pro pages: 5J, 6J, 7J, 7J (7.02), 7J 10th Anniversary Edition, 8, 8 DX, Power Suite Photo Edition, 9, Studio
- Corel PaintShop Pro Product Information Kits: X6 (Ultimate)
- User to User Web Board in French: (Entraide entre utilisateurs)
Paint Shop Photo Album
- Jasc Software, Inc. Paint Shop Photo Album pages: 4
- Corel Paint Shop Photo Album pages: 5 Deluxe Edition
- Corel Photo Album pages: 6 Deluxe Edition, 7 Deluxe
- Sourcenext pages: Corel Paint Shop Pro Album Personal
- P&A., Inc. Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album pages: 4, 5
PaintShop Photo Express
- Corel PaintShop Photo Express pages: 2010