||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Born||Corey Gregg Weinberg
August 3, 1955
Granada Hills, Los Angeles, California, United States
|Other names||Cory Burton, Corey Weinman|
|Known for||Ludwig Von Drake (voice), Brainiac (voice), Captain Hook (voice), Shockwave (voice), Hugo Strange (voice)|
Outstanding Individual Achievement for Voice Acting by a Male Performer in an Animated Television Production
2003 for Disney's House of Mouse
Corey Burton (born Corey Gregg Weinberg; August 3, 1955) is an American voice actor perhaps best known as the current voice of Ludwig Von Drake, Captain Hook and many other characters for numerous Disney projects, Brainiac in the DC animated universe, several central characters (Count Dooku, Cad Bane, and Ziro the Hutt) for numerous Star Wars projects, and Spike Witwicky and Shockwave in the Transformers universe. He has worked on numerous cartoon series for major networks such as Cartoon Network and has worked extensively with The Walt Disney Company and Disney theme parks.
Corey Burton began his career at age 17 under the name Corey Weinman, with an imitation performance of voice actor Hans Conried for Disney. He studied radio acting with Daws Butler (Time for Beany, Merrie Melodies, Yogi Bear) for four years and went on to work with nearly all of the original Hollywood radio actors in classic style radio dramas.
Burton has done extensive voice work for Disney including feature animations and interactive sections of the company, as well as many attractions at the Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort and Tokyo Disney Resort. He provides the "Feature Presentation" voice on numerous Disney home video releases and can be heard as the tram narration voice at Disneyland Park. He provided the voice of Captain Hook in Disney's Return to Never Land and overdubbed the voice of Deems Taylor, the Master of Ceremonies in Fantasia, for the film's 2000 and 2010 video and DVD releases, as some of Taylor's original soundtracks had been lost.
Burton has voiced sound-alikes and original characters for over 50 Disney Storyteller records. His roles include:
- Ludwig Von Drake in DuckTales, Raw Toonage, Bonkers, Quack Pack, Mickey Mouse Works, Disney's House of Mouse, and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.
- Dale in Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers.
- The Mad Hatter in Bonkers and Disney's House of Mouse.
- Gruffi Gummi and Toadwart in Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears (following the death of Bill Scott).
- Zeus in Disney's Hercules: The Animated Series.
- Quint and Speedy the Snail in The Lion King's Timon & Pumbaa.
- Gaëtan "Mole" Molière in Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Atlantis: Milo's Return.
- Captain Hook in Disney's Villains' Revenge, Disney's House of Mouse, Return to Never Land and Jake and the Never Land Pirates.
- Captain Hook, Dale and Yen Sid in the Kingdom Hearts series.
- The White Rabbit, The Doorknob and Flotsam and Jetsam in Kingdom Hearts.
- The MCP, Santa Claus, Sark, Shan Yu and The Peddler in Kingdom Hearts II.
- Ansem the Wise/DiZ in Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance.
- The Magic Mirror and Grumpy in Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep.
- Claude Frollo in Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance.
- The Narrator in Goofy appearances (1992–present).
- Professor Owl in the Disney Sing-Along Songs series.
- King Stefan in Disney Princess Enchanted Tales: Follow Your Dreams.
- Mr. Smee in Disney's Villains' Revenge.
- The White Rabbit in Disney's Villains' Revenge and Disney's House of Mouse.
- The Ringmaster from Dumbo in Disney's Villains' Revenge.
- Buzz Lightyear and other additional voices in the Disney on Ice adaptation of Toy Story 3.
- Yen Sid and Captain Hook (the latter through vocal effects) in Epic Mickey.
- Doc Hudson in the Cars media and Radiator Springs Racers (replacing Paul Newman).
- General Knowledge from the former Cranium Command attraction at Epcot.
Burton is perhaps best known to Disney fans for his imitation of the late voice actor Paul Frees as the Ghost Host in Disneyland's Haunted Mansion Holiday attraction. Burton also recited the classic line "Welcome, foolish mortals" in the opening of the film version of The Haunted Mansion.
Burton provides many others Paul Frees-like voices for Disneyland Park, including several newer pirates in the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction (like the "Pooped Pirate" and the pirate voice that guides you on and off the boat), Grumpy on the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train attraction, and almost every voice in Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.
Burton performed a Frees imitation as the voice of the announcer in the 1999 film Dudley Do-Right.
In the 2000 60th Anniversary Edition and the 2010 special edition of Disney's Fantasia, Corey Burton voiced all of Deems Taylor's voice-over work. The original audio elements for Deems Taylor's commentaries were getting so deteriorated that they could not be used anymore. Disney decided to have Corey Burton re-record all of Deems Taylor's commentaries for consistency.
Burton appeared as Shockwave, Sunstreaker, Brawn and Spike Witwicky in the 1984-87 Transformers cartoon series by Sunbow Productions & Marvel Productions. He later appeared as Megatron, Ratchet, Ironhide, Brawn, Cyrus "The Colossus" Rhodes, Spike Witwicky and Longarm Prime/Shockwave in the Transformers Animated series by Cartoon Network.
Burton stated in an interview that Shockwave was by far his favorite character to perform in the original show. However, he turned down the offer to reprise the role in Transformers: Dark of the Moon, so the part was given to Frank Welker, the voice of Soundwave.
Burton has portrayed Brainiac in the DC animated universe. He appeared as Brainiac in eight episodes of Superman: The Animated Series, two episodes of Justice League, two episodes of Static Shock, and five episodes of Justice League Unlimited. Although not set within the DCAU, he also voiced Brainiac in three episodes of Legion of Super Heroes and reprised his role in the online game DC Universe Online.
Other television highlights
- Narrated the 1992 Discovery Channel documentary Great White!, by Barry Clark Productions and directed by underwater photographer John McKenney.
- The Russian, Ronald Marshall and The Scarecrow in Batman: Gotham Knight.
- V.V. Argost and Leonidas Van Rook in The Secret Saturdays.
- James Bond Jr. in the animated series of the same name.
- The Pupununu in Tak and the Power of Juju.
- Invisibo in Freakazoid!.
- Old Queeks in Mike, Lu & Og.
- Captain Marvel in Superman/Batman: Public Enemies.
- Red Tornado, Silver Cyclone, Doctor Mid-Nite, Doc Magnus, Mercury and Thomas Wayne in Batman: The Brave and the Bold.
- Ziro the Hutt in the 2008 Star Wars: The Clone Wars film and in the television series (2008-2014), Count Dooku and Cad Bane.
- Tomax in G.I. Joe.
- Goon, Kanawk and Tauron in Robotix.
- Law in G.I. Joe: Renegades.
- Brain, Dudley H. Dudley, Hamilton Hill, James Gordon, and Wizard in Young Justice.
- Burglar in The Powerpuff Girls episode "Burglar Alarmed".
- Dash Whippet and additional voices for Pound Puppies, starting in season 2.
- Brainstorm, Malware and Mr. Baumann in Ben 10: Omniverse.
- Dracula in Avengers Assemble and Ultimate Spider-Man.
- Ranger Smith in the Spümcø animated specials, Boo Boo Runs Wild and A Day in the Life of Ranger Smith.
- Various male characters on Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi.
- Burton played Starlab Controller Jerry Lyden in the syndicated radio drama series Alien Worlds.
- Burton has done work for the Universal Studios - Islands of Adventure theme park in Orlando, Florida in addition to the Universal Studios Japan theme park.
- Burton does voice-overs for many commercials and promos; for instance, Burton's voice is featured in some Old Navy commercials, a role he inherited after the death of Bill Wendell. He recently provided his voice for the Final Fantasy XII TV promo.
- In the WWE, Burton provided voice-overs for the WrestleMania XXV recap segments.
- Almost all character roles in the 1980 cult classic Closet Cases of the Nerd Kind.
- In the Critters film series, he provided the voices for the Krites, but he was only credited for the first one, and he also developed their language (as revealed on his website).
- The narrator for the video game Brütal Legend.
- Tromell Guado and Maester Kelk Ronso in the PlayStation 2 video game Final Fantasy X.
- Volteer the Electric Guardian Dragon, Exhumor and Mason in The Legend of Spyro trilogy.
- Zeus in the video game God of War II for the PlayStation 2, and God of War III for the PlayStation 3.
- Footman, Bricabrac, Goggles, Fluffy Show Announcer and WACME Quiz Master in the 1996 adventure game Toonstruck.
- Numerous supporting roles on Focus on the Family's radio drama Adventures in Odyssey, voicing over 90 characters, most notably Jesus Christ, Walter Shakespeare, Cryin' Bryan Dern, and The Great Wishy Woz.
- Doctor N. Gin and Doctor Nefarious Tropy in the GameCube and PlayStation video game Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex.
- Jack the animated pumpkin that narrates the haunted attraction The House at Haunted Hill.
- Narrator of The A-Team.
- Hugo Strange in the video game Batman: Arkham City.
- John Grey (Jean Grey's father) for two episodes of Wolverine and the X-Men.
- Provided voice samples for some songs, most famously in DJ Hazard's drum and bass track entitled 'Machete', he is also working with Australian producer ShockOne to provide voice samples for his new album named 'Universus'.
- Game Narrator for Disney Coaster.
- Announcer for the El Rey Network launched by Robert Rodriguez.
- Yoda in 1997 and 2015 Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back Read-Along Storybook and CD and Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Read-Along Storybook and CD.
Film and home videos
|1984–1987||The Transformers||Brawn, Shockwave, Sunstreaker, Spike Witwicky, Alpha Trion, Quintesson Scientist Mara Al Utha, Wideload, Dion, Additional Voices|
|1985||Robotix||Tauron, Goon, Kanawk|
|1985–1986||G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero||Tomax, Lt. Clay Moore, Owen Van Mark, Gerky Potemkin|
|1986||DTV Valentine||Gruffi Gummi|
|1986–1991||Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears||Gruffi Gummi, Toadwart, Additional Voices||Replaced Bill Scott in Season 2|
|1987–1989||DuckTales||Ludwig Von Drake, Phil Barker, Additional Voices||Episode: "The Golden Fleecing"
Episode: "Dime Enough for Luck"
Episode: "Yuppy Ducks"
|1989–1990||Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers||Dale, Zipper, Mole, Snout, Additional Voices|
|1990||The Magical World of Disney||Ludwig Von Drake||Episode: "A DuckTales Valentine"|
|1991||James Bond Jr.||James Bond Jr.|
|1992||Goof Troop||'How to' Narrator, Circus Ringmaster|
|Raw Toonage||Ludwig Von Drake, Captain Hook||Episode: "Spatula Party/Doggie Schnauzer/Marsupilami Meets Dr. Normanstein"
Episode: "Sheerluck Bonkers/All Potato Network/The Puck Stops Here"
|Darkwing Duck||Rubber Chicken||Episode: "Mutantcy on the Bouncy"|
|1993–1994||Bonkers||Ludwig Von Drake, Mad Hatter, Additional Voices|
|1993–1994||Mighty Max||Felix, Osiris|
|1995–1999||The Lion King's Timon & Pumbaa||Quint, Speedy the Snail, Fronk, Creepy Fortune Teller|
|1995–1996||Phantom 2040||Kit Walker, 23rd Phantom, Biot, Security Biot, 20th Phantom, Thin Man|
|1996||Quack Pack||Ludwig Von Drake|
|1996–1998||Superman: The Animated Series||Brainiac, Binko, Stand Owner, Tribunal, Additional Voices|
|1998–1999||Disney's Hercules: The Animated Series||Zeus|
|1999–2001||Batman Beyond||Istivan Hegedesh, Vilmos Egans, Barge Captain, Captain, Kobra Op 1|
|1999–2001||Mickey Mouse Works||Ludwig Von Drake, J. Audubon Woodlore, Chief O'Hara, Narrator|
|1999||Boo Boo Runs Wild||Ranger Smith, Moose|
|A Day in the Life of Ranger Smith||Ranger Smith|
|2001–2002||Disney's House of Mouse||Ludwig Von Drake, J. Audubon Woodlore, Grumpy, Timothy Mouse, Cards, Tweedledee and Tweedledum, White Rabbit, Mad Hatter, Captain Hook, Maurice, Zeus, Chernabog, Female Von Drake, Doorknob, Santa Claus, Caterpillar, Worthington Foulfellow|
|2001–2003||Justice League||Brainiac, Forager, Metallo, Toyman, Weather Wizard|
|2002||Samurai Jack||Monk #1, Goatman||Episode: "Jack and the Monks"|
|2003||Static Shock||Brainiac||Episode: "A League of Their Own: Part 1"
Episode: "A League of Their Own: Part 2"
|2003–2005||Star Wars: Clone Wars||Count Dooku, San Hill, Warrior 2|
|2004||ChalkZone||King Mumbo Jumbo, Stick Figure Baker||Episode: "The Big Blow Up"|
|2005||Duck Dodgers||Martian Commander Z-9||Episode: "Of Course You Know, This Means War and Peace: Part 1"
Episode: "Of Course You Know, This Means War and Peace: Part 2"
|2005–2006||Justice League Unlimited||Brainiac, Key, Sonar (Bito Wladon), Toyman (Winslow Percival Schott), Weather Wizard (Mark Mardon)|
|2006–2016||Mickey Mouse Clubhouse||Ludwig Von Drake, Dale|
|2007–2009||Transformers: Animated||Ratchet, Megatron, Shockwave, Ironhide, Spike Witwicky, Cyrus "The Colossus" Rhodes, Cyclonus, Brawn|
|2007–2008||Legion of Super Heroes||Brainiac|
|2008–2014||Star Wars: The Clone Wars||Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus, Cad Bane, Ziro the Hutt, Chairman Papanoida, Additional voices|
|2008–2010||The Secret Saturdays||V.V. Argost, Leonidas Van Rook|
|2008–2011||Batman: The Brave and the Bold||Red Tornado, Silver Cyclone, Thomas Wayne (in "Invasion of the Secret Santas!"), False-Face, Doctor Mid-Nite, Dr. William Milton Magnus, Mercury, Chancellor Gor-Zonn, General Zahl, Killer Moth, Batman (Bat-Manga version), Joker (Scooby-Doo version), Green Lantern (Alan Scott)|
|2009||Disney's Haunted Holidays: Tales of Two Cities||Hatbox Ghost|
|2010||Freaknik: The Musical||Newscaster, Dukes of Hazzard Announcer|
|2011||G.I. Joe: Renegades||Law, Granger, Crippled Convict||Episode: "Busted"
Episode: "Fire Fight"
|2011–2015||Jake and the Never Land Pirates||Captain Hook|
|2011–2012||Young Justice||Brain, Dudley H Dudley, Hamilton Hill, Wizard, Commissioner James Gordon||Episode: "Alpha Male"
|2012||Black Dynamite||Dennis Flynn||Episode: "Just Beat It or Jackson Five Across Yo' Eyes"|
|Green Lantern: The Animated Series||Cleric Loran, Leph, Bleez||Episode: "Reckoning"
Episode: "Fear Itself"
|2012–2014||Ben 10: Omniverse||Malware, Mr. Baumann, Brainstorm, Seebik, Fiskerton, V.V. Argost, Albedo Brainstorm, Kane North/Kangaroo Kommando|
|2014–2015||Wander Over Yonder||Captain, Additional Voices|
|2015||Star Wars Rebels||Quarrie, Eesh Fahm, Imperial Officer||Episode: "Wings of the Master"|
- Disney's Cartoon Arcade - Ludwig Von Drake
- Rocky & Bullwinkle's Know-It-All Quiz Game - Narrator, Snidely Whiplash
- Superman: The New Adventures - Brainiac
- Disney's Villains' Revenge - Captain Hook, Smee, White Rabbit, Ringmaster
- Walt Disney World Quest: Magical Racing Tour - Dale, Moe Whiplash, Bruno Biggs
- Mickey's Speedway USA - Professor Ludwig Von Drake
- Donald Duck: Goin' Qu@ckers - Merlock, Gladstone Gander, Gyro Gearloose
- Atlantis: The Lost Empire - Molière
- Disney Learning: Phonics Quest - Yen Sid
- Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex - N.Gin, N. Tropy
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds - Count Dooku, Jedi Starfighter Pilot, Gen. Tal Ashen
- Kingdom Hearts - Captain Hook, The White Rabbit, The Doorknob, Floatsam, Jetsam
- Disney Golf - Ludwig Von Drake
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Battle Droid Scout, Count Dooku
- Star Wars: Bounty Hunter - Count Dooku, Darth Tyranus, Prison Guard #1
- The Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogie's Revenge - Santa Claus
- EverQuest II - Wizard, Merchant Ihean, Ambassador T'Kirr, Vladiminn
- Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories - Captain Hook (archive sound)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - Count Dooku, Darth Tyranus, Flying Battle Droids, Jedi Sniper, Rune Haako, Jedi Brute, Jedi Pilot
- Star Wars: Battlefront II - Count Dooku, Imperial Officer #2, Ki Adi Mundi
- Kingdom Hearts II - Dale, MCP, Santa Claus, Sark, Shan-Yu, The Peddler, Yen Sid
- The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning - Volteer, Exhumor
- The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night - Volteer, Exhumor
- Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix+ - Yen Sid, Dale, Sark, MCP, Santa Claus, Shan-Yu, The Peddler
- Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories - DiZ, Captain Hook
- Disney Princess: Enchanted Journey - Gus, Grumpy
- Cars Mater-National Championship - Doc Hudson
- The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon - Volteer, Mason
- Grand Chase - Dungeon of Monsters
- Transformers Animated: The Game - Megatron, Ratchet, Shockwave
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – Republic Heroes - Count Dooku, Darth Tyranus, Cad Bane
- Cars Race-O-Rama - Doc Hudson
- Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep - Ansem the Wise, Captain Hook, The Magic Mirror, Yen Sid, Dale, Grumpy
- Batman: The Brave and the Bold – The Videogame - Red Tornado, Museum Guide, Weather Wizard
- Kingdom Hearts Re:coded - Dale, Yen Sid
- Epic Mickey - Yen Sid, Captain Hook
- DC Universe Online - Brainiac
- Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars - Count Dooku
- Batman: Arkham City - Hugo Strange
- Kinect: Disneyland Adventures - Dale, Mad Hatter, Captain Hook, Ghost Host
- Batman: Arkham City Lockdown - Hugo Strange
- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance - Ansem the Wise, Yen Sid, Claude Frollo
- Kinect Star Wars - Count Dooku, Darth Ror, Red 7, RedMaID
- Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two - Yen Sid
- Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion - Captain Hook
- Ben 10: Omniverse - Malware
- Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix - Captain Hook, The White Rabbit, The Doorknob, Floatsam, Jetsam, DiZ
- Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life - Dale, Grumpy, Yen Sid, The Doorknob, Mad Hatter, Captain Hook
- Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix - Ansem the Wise, Dale, Yen Sid, MCP, Santa Claus, Sark, Shan-Yu, The Peddler, Captain Hook, The Magic Mirror
- Fantasia: Music Evolved - Yen Sid
- Disney Infinity 3.0 - Cad Bane
- Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue - Ansem the Wise, Yen Sid, Claude Frollo
- God of War - Zeus
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train – Grumpy
- Radiator Springs Racers – Doc Hudson
- Haunted Mansion Holiday – Ghost Host
- Journey into YOUR Imagination – Figment
- Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls – Snidley Whiplash, Narrator
- Fantasmic! – Chernabog, Captain Hook, Pirates
- Cranium Command – General Knowledge, Chicken
- Goofy About Health – Narrator
- Horizons – Futureport 'Brava Centauri' Announcer
- Pirates of the Caribbean – Stuffed Pirate
- Alice in Wonderland – The White Rabbit/Cards
- Peter Pan's Flight – Captain Hook, Mr. Smee
- Mr. Toad's Wild Ride – Judge, Cop, Farmer
- The Cat in the Hat – Fish
- Evanier, Mark (2015-04-10). "Freberg Stories #2". News from Me. Retrieved 2016-03-18.
- Krome Studios (October 6, 2009). Star Wars: The Clone Wars – Republic Heroes. LucasArts. Scene: Closing credits, 2:30 in, Voice Talent.
- Great White! (Liner notes). Barry Clark. Santa Monica, California: Artisan Home Entertainment. 2001.
- MacDonald, Brady (July 28, 2015). "Disney voice-over actors bring theme park rides to life". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved August 23, 2015.