|Other names||Corey Weinman|
Corey Burton is an American voice actor. He is the current voice of Captain Hook, Ludwig Von Drake and others for The Walt Disney Company, Shockwave on The Transformers, Brainiac in the DC Animated Universe, Count Dooku and Cad Bane in the Star Wars franchise, Zeus in the God of War series and Hugo Strange in Batman: Arkham City.
Burton started his career at age 17 under the stage name Corey Weinman, with an imitation performance of Hans Conried for Disney. He studied radio acting with Daws Butler for four years and went on to work with nearly all of the original Hollywood radio actors in classic-style radio dramas. He was unsure at first about pursuing voice-work, due to his shy demeanor and Autism Spectrum Disorder, but credits the diverse world and character design of Disney's The Haunted Mansion attraction as his inspiration to move forward.
Burton has done extensive voice-work for Disney, including animated features and theme park attractions at the Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World, and Tokyo Disney Resort. He provides the "Feature Presentation" voice on direct-to-video video releases and can be heard as the narration voice at Disneyland. He provided the voice of Captain Hook in Disney's Return to Never Land and dubbed the voice of Deems Taylor in Fantasia for the film's 2000 and 2010 re-releases.
Burton has voiced sound-alikes and original characters for over 50 Disney Storyteller records. His roles include:
- Ludwig Von Drake since 1987
- Dale and Zipper in Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers.
- The How-to Narrator in Goof Troop and later Disney media
- The White Rabbit and Mad Hatter in House of Mouse.
- Gruffi Gummi and Toadwart in Adventures of the Gummi Bears (following the death of Bill Scott).
- Zeus in the animated series Hercules (replacing Rip Torn).
- Quint and Speedy the Snail in Timon & Pumbaa.
- Gaetan "Mole" Molière in Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Atlantis: Milo's Return.
- Ansem the Wise in the Kingdom Hearts series.
- Professor Owl in the Disney Sing-Along Songs series.
- King Stefan in Disney Princess Enchanted Tales: Follow Your Dreams.
- Buzz Lightyear in the Disney on Ice adaptation of Toy Story 3.
- Yen Sid and Captain Hook in the Epic Mickey and Kingdom Hearts series.
- Doc Hudson in various Cars media and Radiator Springs Racers (replacing Paul Newman).
- General Knowledge from the former Cranium Command attraction at Epcot.
- Dale, Bruno Biggs, and Moe Whiplash from Walt Disney World Quest: Magical Racing Tour.
Burton, for many years, served as a protégé to voice actor Paul Frees. Following Frees' death and his son Fred's temporary takeover, Burton stepped in and imitated Frees' voice as the Ghost Host in Disneyland's Haunted Mansion Holiday attraction. He also recited the classic line "Welcome, foolish mortals" in the opening of the 2003 film adaption and currently serves as the Ghost Host's voice in every Haunted Mansion franchise-related media, adoptions, and events.
He was approached to record a new safety spiel for the intro to the original Haunted Mansion ride. He declined and the spiel was instead recorded by voice actor Joe Leahy.
He provides many other Paul Frees-like voices for Disneyland Park, including several newer pirates in the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction (like the "Pooped Pirate" and the pirate voice that guides you on and off the boat), Grumpy on the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train attraction, and several voices in Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.
He performed a Frees imitation as the voice of the announcer in the 1999 film Dudley Do-Right and did likewise as the voices of the alien foreheads in Larry Blamire's 2008 satire Trail of the Screaming Forehead.
Burton appeared as Shockwave, Sunstreaker, Brawn, and Spike Witwicky in the original Transformers animated series by Sunbow Productions and Marvel Productions. He would later voice Megatron, Ratchet, Ironhide, Brawn, Cyrus "The Colossus" Rhodes, Spike Witwicky, and Longarm Prime / Shockwave in Transformers: Animated by Cartoon Network.
Burton stated in an interview that Shockwave was by far his favorite character to perform in the original series. Despite this, he turned down the offer to reprise the role in Transformers: Dark of the Moon, as he felt he had voiced the character enough times. Consequently, the part was given to Frank Welker, the voice of Megatron / Galvatron.
For Star Wars, Burton voiced Count Dooku, Cad Bane, and Ziro the Hutt in Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and has continued to voice Cad Bane in Star Wars: The Bad Batch and The Book of Boba Fett. He has also voiced several characters in video games.
For the Kingdom Hearts series, Burton voiced Ansem the Wise in Chain of Memories, Birth by Sleep, and Dream Drop Distance due to Christopher Lee's health problems. For the cinematic version of Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, he re-dubbed Lee's lines that he had previously recorded for the Nintendo DS version. He reprised his role as Ansem the Wise for Kingdom Hearts III.
Burton has portrayed the supervillain Brainiac in the DC Animated Universe. He appeared as the character in Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League, Static Shock, and Justice League Unlimited, as well as the non-DCAU media Legion of Super Heroes, DC Universe Online, and Lego DC Super-Villains.
- Narrated the 1992 Discovery Channel documentary Great White!.
- Scarecrow, Ronald Marshall and Yuri Dimitrov in Batman: Gotham Knight.
- V.V. Argost and Leonidas Van Rook in The Secret Saturdays.
- The titular character in James Bond Jr..
- The Pupununu in Tak and the Power of Juju.
- Invisibo in Freakazoid!.
- Old Queeks in Mike, Lu & Og.
- Captain Marvel in Superman/Batman: Public Enemies.
- Red Tornado, Silver Cyclone, Doctor Mid-Nite, Will Magnus, Joker (Scooby-Doo version), Mercury, and Thomas Wayne in Batman: The Brave and the Bold.
- Count Dooku, Cad Bane, and Ziro the Hutt in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
- Tomax in G.I. Joe.
- Goon, Kanawk, and Tauron in Robotix.
- Law in G.I. Joe: Renegades.
- Brain, Dudley H. Dudley, Hamilton Hill, James Gordon, and Wizard in Young Justice.
- Dash Whippet for Pound Puppies.
- Brainstorm, Malware, and Mr. Baumann in Ben 10: Omniverse.
- Dracula in Avengers Assemble, and Ultimate Spider-Man.
- Ranger Smith in Boo Boo Runs Wild, and A Day in the Life of Ranger Smith.
- Played Jerry Lyden in the radio series Alien Worlds.
- Has done work for the Universal Studios theme parks.
- Does voice-overs for Old Navy commercials and a promo for Final Fantasy XII.
- Provided voice-overs for WWE's WrestleMania XXV recap segments.
- Various characters in the 1980 cult classic Closet Cases of the Nerd Kind.
- The titular creatures in the Critters film series.
- Narrator for the video game Brütal Legend.
- Volteer the Electric Guardian Dragon, Exhumor, and Mason in The Legend of Spyro trilogy.
- Zeus in the God of War series.
- Numerous supporting roles on Focus on the Family's radio drama Adventures in Odyssey.
- Doctor N. Gin, Doctor Nefarious Tropy and Nitros Oxide in the Crash Bandicoot series.
- Jack in the theme park attraction The House at Haunted Hill.
- Narrator of the film The A-Team.
- Hugo Strange in Batman: Arkham City and Lego DC Super-Villains.
- John Grey (Jean Grey's father) for Wolverine and the X-Men.
- Provided voice samples for the song "Machete" by DJ Hazard and the album Universus by ShockOne.
- Game Narrator for Disney Coaster.
- Announcer for the Bounty Law promo in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
- Announcer for the El Rey Network.
- Played the Narrator and the Guest in Flying Logos.
- Still heard on the safety info for the parking lot trams for Disneyland and Magic Kingdom (as of 2011).
|1984–1987||The Transformers||Brawn, Shockwave, Sunstreaker, Spike Witwicky, Wideload, Additional Voices|
|1985||Robotix||Tauron, Goon, Kanawk|
|1985–1986||G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero||Tomax, Lt. Clay Moore, Owen Van Mark, Gerky Potemkin|
|1986||DTV Valentine||Gruffi Gummi|
|1986–1991||Adventures of the Gummi Bears||Gruffi Gummi, Toadwart, Additional Voices||Replacing Bill Scott|
|1987–1989||DuckTales||Ludwig Von Drake, Phil Barker, Additional Voices|
|1989–1990||Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers||Dale, Zipper, Mole, Snout, Additional Voices|
|1990||The Magical World of Disney||Ludwig Von Drake||Episode: "A DuckTales Valentine"|
|1991–1992||James Bond Jr.||James Bond Jr.|
|1992||Goof Troop||The How-to Narrator, Circus Ringmaster|
|Raw Toonage||Ludwig Von Drake, Captain Hook|
|Darkwing Duck||Rubber Chicken||Episode: "Mutantcy on the Bouncy"|
|1993–1994||Bonkers||Ludwig Von Drake, Mad Hatter, Additional Voices|
|Mighty Max||Felix, Osiris|
|1995–1999||Timon & Pumbaa||Quint, Speedy the Snail, Fronk, Creepy Fortune Teller|
|1995–1996||Phantom 2040||23rd Phantom, Biot #1, Security Biot #2, 20th Phantom, Thin Man|||
|1996||Quack Pack||Ludwig Von Drake|
|Dexter's Laboratory||The Narrator||Episode: "The Lab of Tomorrow"|
|1996–1998||Pinky and the Brain||Cushing, Technician, Van Spoony, Strawboater, Clown||5 episodes|
|1996–1998||Superman: The Animated Series||Brainiac, Binko, Store Owner||11 episodes|
|1997||Freakazoid!||Ahmon Kor-Unch / Invisibo||Episode: "Tomb of Invisibo"|
|1997–1998||The Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries||Count, Jack, Babbit, Hamilton Meatball, Tosh, Rotha Khan, Engineer #1, Veterinarian #3||7 episodes|
|The New Batman Adventures||Uniformed Cop, Strongman||2 episodes|
|1997–1998||Animaniacs||Duke, Director||2 episodes|
|1998||Oh Yeah! Cartoons||Sheisty||Episode: "Tales from the Goose Lady: Jack and the Beanstalk"|
|1999–2001||Batman Beyond||Vilmos Egans, Barge Captain, General Norman, Istivan Hegedesh, Kobra Op #1, Captain||6 episodes|
|Mickey Mouse Works||Ludwig Von Drake, J. Audubon Woodlore, Chief O'Hara, The How-to Narrator|
|1999||Boo Boo Runs Wild||Ranger Smith, Moose|||
|A Day in the Life of Ranger Smith||Ranger Smith|||
|Johnny Bravo||Muy Caliente||Episode: "El Bravo Magnifico"|
|Mike, Lu & Og||Queeks||5 episodes|
|2000||Poochini's Yard||Additional Voices|
|Buzz Lightyear of Star Command||Brent Starkisser, Floyd, Tour Guide, Hammerhold, Treevo, General, Soldier #2, Judge #2||10 episodes|
|2001–2002||House of Mouse||Ludwig Von Drake, J. Audubon Woodlore, Grumpy, Timothy Q. Mouse, Cards,
Tweedle Dee, Tweedle Dum, White Rabbit, Mad Hatter, Captain Hook, Maurice,
Zeus, Chernabog, Female Von Drake, Doorknob, Santa Claus, Caterpillar
|2001–2003||Justice League||Brainiac, Metallo, Toyman, Weather Wizard, Dr. Blizzard, Bald Technician|||
|2002||Totally Spies!||Simon Tucker||Episode: "Malled"|
|2002–2017||Samurai Jack||Monk #1, Goatman, The Murder of Crows||2 episodes|
|2003–2006||The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius||Rayburn, Dr. Dark, Pizza Monster, Head Monk, Spamdini|||
|2003||Static Shock||Brainiac||Episode: "A League of Their Own"|
|2003||The Powerpuff Girls||Burglar||Episode: "Burglar Alarmed"|
|2003–2005||Star Wars: Clone Wars||Count Dooku, San Hill, Warrior #2|||
|2004||ChalkZone||King Mumbo Jumbo, Stick Figure Baker||Episode: "The Big Blow Up"|
|2004–2006||Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi||Various voices|||
|2005||Duck Dodgers||Martian Commander Z-9||Episode: "Of Course You Know, This Means War and Peace"|
|2005–2006||Justice League Unlimited||Brainiac||5 episodes|
|2006||Korgoth of Barbaria||Specules, Doorman, Henchman #2||Television pilot|
|2006–2016||Mickey Mouse Clubhouse||Ludwig Von Drake, Dale|
|2006–2007||Squirrel Boy||Ranger Stu|
|2007–2009||Transformers: Animated||Ratchet, Megatron, Shockwave, Ironhide, Spike Witwicky, Additional Voices|||
|2007–2008||Legion of Super Heroes||Brainiac||3 episodes|
|2008||Chowder||Sour Ron, Sour Guard #2||Episode: "The Puckerberry Overlords"|
|2008–2020||Star Wars: The Clone Wars||Count Dooku, Cad Bane, Ziro the Hutt, others|||
|2008–2010||The Secret Saturdays||V.V. Argost, Leonidas Van Rook|||
|2008–2011||Batman: The Brave and the Bold||Red Tornado, Silver Cyclone, Thomas Wayne, Doctor Mid-Nite,
Will Magnus, Mercury, General Zahl,
Batman (Bat-Manga), Killer Moth, Alan Scott
|2008–2015||Phineas and Ferb||Farmer, Additional Voices|
|2010||Freaknik: The Musical||Newscaster, Dukes of Hazzard Announcer||Television special|
|2010–2011||Sym-Bionic Titan||Galalunian Commander, Combat Instructor, Academy Administrator|
|2011||G.I. Joe: Renegades||Law, Granger, Crippled Convict|||
|2011–2016||Jake and the Never Land Pirates||Captain Hook|||
|Black Dynamite||Dennis Flynn|||
|2011–2012||Young Justice||Brain, Dudley H. Dudley, Hamilton Hill, Wizard, James Gordon|||
|2012||Green Lantern: The Animated Series||Cleric Loran, Leph|||
|2012–2014||Ben 10: Omniverse||Malware, Brainstorm, Mr. Baumann, Seebik, V.V. Argost, Kangaroo Kamando, Starbeard|||
|2012–2015||Gravity Falls||Additional Voices|
|2013–2018||Avengers Assemble||Dracula, Mystery Man, Agamotto|||
|Sofia the First||Wombeast||Episode: "Great Aunt-Venture"|
|2014–2015||Wander Over Yonder||Captain, Additional Voices|||
|2014–2019||Mickey Mouse||Ludwig Von Drake, Dale|
|2014–2015||Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.||High Evolutionary, Dracula|||
|Niko and the Sword of Light||Jackal, Secretary Offishhish, Buzz|||
|2015||Star vs. the Forces of Evil||Monster Arm||Episode: "Monster Arm"|
|The 7D||Lord Grudgemunger||Episode: "The Rock of Sages"|
|Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero||Additional Voices|
|2015–2017||Harvey Beaks||Title Card Narrator|
|2015–2016||Star Wars Rebels||Gobi Glie, Quarrie, Eesh Fahm, Argin Relik, Rake Gahree, Additional Voices|
|2016||Uncle Grandpa||Additional Voices||Episode: "Chill Out"|
|2017||The Loud House||Judge|
|Lego Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures||Quarrie, Awan Zek, Additional Voices|
|2017–2021||Mickey Mouse Mixed-Up Adventures||Ludwig Von Drake, Dale|
|2018–2021||DuckTales||B.U.D.D.Y., The Liquidator, Ludwig Von Drake, Corvus Von Drake, Yellow Beak|||
|2020||Looney Tunes Cartoons||Ghost, Monster #2, Announcer|||
|2020–2021||Animaniacs||Tedward R. Gurrowl, Senator Smith, Announcer||2 episodes|
|2021||Star Wars: The Bad Batch||Cad Bane, Gobi Glie|||
|2021–present||Mickey Mouse Funhouse||Ludwig Von Drake, Dale|
|2022||The Book of Boba Fett||Cad Bane||Played on-set by Dorian Kingi|
|Amphibia||Military General, News Anchor||Episode: "All In"|
|Tales of the Jedi||Count Dooku|||
|Hamster and Gretel||Farmer||Episode: "A Mammoth Problem"|
|2023||Ted Lasso||The True Sprit of Adventure||Episode: "Sunflowers"|
|1991–2008||Adventures in Odyssey||Bryan Dern, Walter Shakespeare, various voices||124 episodes|
- Alice in Wonderland – White Rabbit, Playing Cards
- Cranium Command – General Knowledge, Chicken
- Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls – Snidely Whiplash, Narrator
- Fantasmic! – Chernabog, Captain Hook, Magic Mirror, Pirates
- Haunted Mansion Holiday – Ghost Host* Horizons – Futureport "Brava Centauri" Announcer
- Journey Into Your Imagination – Figment
- Mickey and Friends Parking Tram – Spiel
- Mr. Toad's Wild Ride – Cop, Judge, Farmer
- O Canada! – Invisible Narrator (2007–19)
- Parking Lot Trams – Safety Spiel
- Peter Pan's Flight – Captain Hook, Mr. Smee
- Pirates of the Caribbean – Stuffed Pirate, Safety Spiel
- Radiator Springs Racers – Doc Hudson
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train – Grumpy
- Tapestry of Nations – Sage of Time
- The Cat in the Hat – Fish
- Walt Disney World Railroad – Conductor Spiel (2022–present)
- Wonders of Life – Narrator
Awards and nominations
|2003||Annie Award||Outstanding Voice Acting in an Animated Feature Production||Return to Neverland||Nominated|
|2003||Outstanding Voice Acting in an Animated Television Production||House of Mouse||Won|
|2011||Best Voice Acting in an Animated Television Production||Star Wars: The Clone Wars||Nominated|
- Archived at Ghostarchive and the Wayback Machine: Corey Burton – Voices of the Disney Parks #D23Expo 2017, mouseinfo/YouTube, July 18, 2017, retrieved January 27, 2019
- Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix Full Cast page on IMDb
- Mindsai Productions; Disney Interactive (1996). The Walt Disney World Explorer (Microsoft Windows, Apple Macintosh) (1.0 ed.). Disney Interactive. Scene: Cranium Command – Trivia slideshow.
General Knowledge: "The voice of General Knowledge (begins to change to Burton's natural voice) was played by Corey Burton." / Burton: "(chuckles) That's me."
- Evanier, Mark (April 10, 2015). "Freberg Stories #2". News from Me. Retrieved March 18, 2016.
- "Corey Burton Uninterested In Reprising Shockwave For Transformers 3, David Warner Is Rumored – Transformers News – TFW2005". tfw2005.com. December 19, 2010. Retrieved December 27, 2016.
- "Cad Bane Voice". Behind the Voice Actors. Archived from the original on May 5, 2022. Retrieved March 15, 2023.
- Krome Studios (October 6, 2009). Star Wars: The Clone Wars – Republic Heroes. LucasArts. Scene: Closing credits, 2:30 in, Voice Talent.
- "Corey Burton (visual voices guide)". Behind The Voice Actors. Retrieved August 4, 2023. A green check mark indicates that a role has been confirmed using a screenshot (or collage of screenshots) of a title's list of voice actors and their respective characters found in its opening and/or closing credits and/or other reliable sources of information.
- "I Know That Voice, A Documentary About the World of Voice Acting". Laughing Squid. October 3, 2013. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- Luxoflux. True Crime: New York City. Activision. Scene: Pause menu credits, 4:29:53 in, VOICE TALENT.
- Gass, Zach (December 22, 2022). "Walt Disney World Railroad Returns For the Holidays". Inside the Magic. Archived from the original on December 22, 2022. Retrieved December 27, 2022.