Corey Smith (artist)
Corey Smith in 2011
October 3, 1977|
San Francisco, California
|Education||Pacific Northwest College of Art|
|Known for||Painting, Photography, Sculpture|
"COREY SMITH - TIME TRAVEL".|
"SPRING BREAK SNOWBOARDS".
Corey Smith (born October 3, 1977) is a contemporary American painter, sculptor, photographer, professional snowboarder, and snowboard designer. Smith was the art director at COMUNE, curator and founder of their Drop City artist collective (which he is no longer a part of), and a contributing artist for CAPiTA Snowboards. In addition, Smith founded the snowboard company Spring Break Snowboards.
Corey Smith was born in San Francisco, California. In 1996, he graduated from Canby High School, and in 2006, Smith graduated from Pacific Northwest College of Art with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design and Photography.
Corey Smith began snowboarding at the age of 16, at his home mountain Mount Hood Meadows. From 2003 to 2006 Smith coached at Windells Snowboard Camp. Smith has appeared in several notable snowboarding feature films such as, Neoproto (2003, Neoproto Films), Everyday Something (2004, Neoproto Films), Some Kinda Life (2005, Neoproto Films), Love/Hate (2005 Kids Know Productions). During Smith's professional snowboarding he was sponsored by CAPiTA Snowboards, Holden, Flux, Electric, ThirtyTwo, Grenade. He has been featured in interviews and editorial photos in several international snowboarding magazines such as, Transworld Snowboarding (USA), Snowboarder Magazine (USA), Snowboard Magazine (USA), Future Snowboard (USA), Frequency: The Snowboarder's Journal, Method (Europe), Onboard (Europe), Desillusion (France), Snowboard Canada (Canada), Transfer (New Zealand), Arkade (Utah, USA).
In early 2010 he designed and created hand-crafted avant garde snowboard shapes inspired by vintage surf boards. This experiment in contemporary snowboard design was entitled Spring Break Snowboards.
Smith early artwork was influenced by his involvement in snowboarding and skateboarding culture. His first solo exhibition was at KCDC in Brooklyn, NY. He has been contributing artwork and graphics for CAPiTA Snowboards for over ten years. Graphics for Birdhouse Skateboards pro skateboarder Ragdoll. promodel bindings for Flux. Smith has been featured in FHM, Maxim (magazine), Mean (magazine), Complex (magazine), Nylon Guys. Smith's first European show is at the Vans Wängl Tängl 2012 in Mayrhofen.
- Lewis, Mike (May 16, 2011). "Corey Smith Launches Spring Break Snowboards". Carlsbad, CA: TransWorld Business. ISSN 1552-227X. OCLC 56364689. Retrieved March 24, 2012.
- "Time Travel". Coreysmithtimetravel.com. Retrieved March 7, 2012.
- "Art | Vans Wängl Tängl 2012". Wängl Tängl. Cypress, CA, USA: Vans, A VF Company. March 13, 2012. Retrieved March 24, 2012.
- "COREY SMITH | BECOME A BETTER YOU". AR4T Gallery. Laguna Beach, CA, USA: AR4T. Retrieved March 22, 2012. External link in
- Kesser, Jason. "Corey Smith | Artists". Miami, FL, USA: artmiami.tv. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- "pastevents". Worksoundpdx.com. Retrieved February 22, 2012.[not in citation given]
- "Worksound: Corey Smith". openwidepdx.com. Portland, OR, USA: OPENWIDEpdx. February 24, 2010. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- "Corey Smith Returns to Portland". YoBeat. Portland, OR, USA: YoBeat. May 6, 2009. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- "The Light Galleries". The Light Galleries. Retrieved February 22, 2012.
- "Fuck Yeah Bro! | Bl!Sss Magazine". Blisssmag.com. November 26, 2008. Retrieved February 22, 2012.
- "Corey Smith and Ambiguous present: 'A Helping Hand to Heaven' art gallery - Events". EXIT real world. Salem, OR, USA: Exit Real World. 2008. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- "Grand Opening of Laura Hadar's new store Fice in SLC - April 4th". Snowboarder Community. March 24, 2008. Retrieved February 22, 2012.
- "Fice". Ficegallery.com. Retrieved February 22, 2012.
- ManagedArtwork.com (September 16, 2007). "Mark Woolley Gallery". Markwoolley.com. Retrieved February 22, 2012.
- Jahn, Jeff. "PORT - Portland art + news + reviews". Portlandart.net. Retrieved February 22, 2012.
- "CAPiTA presents Corey Smith's art opening of 'Nice Life'". Transworld Snowboarding. Winter Park, FL, USA: Bonnier Corporation. August 3, 2004. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- "COREY SMITH - TIME TRAVEL".
- Smith, Corey; Davis, Liz (October 14, 2010). SHAPE OF CONTENT (Flash) (video). New York, NY: Vimeo, LLC. Retrieved March 24, 2012.
- Dragon, John (February 20, 2012). "COREY SMITH PROFILE". LOOKING SIDEWAYS. Brighton, England: Looking Sideways. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- Eva, Lake (February 9, 2010). "Corey Smith talks about Obsolete Dreams at Worksound" (MP3/Flash). KBOO Community Radio. Portland, OR, USA: KBOO. Retrieved March 23, 2012.
- "Spring Break Snowboards Gallerie". Frequency: The Snowboarder's Journal. Bellingham, WA, USA: Funny Feelings, LLC. 9 (3). December 2011. OCLC 213436105. Retrieved March 23, 2012.(subscription required)
- Corey Smith Launches Spring Break Snowboards (Flash). COMUИE on Vimeo (video). Castanheira, Kevin, filming and editing, Scardigli, Ryan, additional video footage, . New York, NY, USA: Vimeo, LLC. May 4, 2011. Retrieved March 24, 2012. External link in
- "interview | Corey Smith". Shred On Magazine. May 29, 2011. Retrieved March 24, 2012. External link in
- "COMUNE Premiere: Corey Smith Interview: Videos". Snowboarder Magazine. San Clemente, CA, USA: GrindMedia, LLC. October 24, 2010. Retrieved March 24, 2012.