|European Commissioner for Regional Policy|
1 November 2014
|Preceded by||Johannes Hahn|
24 June 1967 |
|Political party||Social Democratic Party|
|Alma mater||Bucharest University of
Corina Crețu (born June 24, 1967 in Bucharest) is a Romanian politician, and incumbent European Commissioner for Regional Policy. Crețu is a member of the Romanian Social Democratic Party (PSD), and former Member of the European Parliament (sitting with the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats). Between June 2014 and October 2014, she served as a Vice-President of the European Parliament.
Crețu studied at the Academy of Economic Studies, Faculty of Cybernetics, graduating in 1989. She spent a year working as an economist at a factory in Blaj until 1990. She then worked as a journalist and political comentator between 1990 and 1992 for newspapers Azi, Curierul Național, and Cronica Română before joining the Spokesperson's office of the Cabinet of President Ion Iliescu (1992-1996).
In 1996, she became a member of the Romanian Social Democratic Party (PDSR).
In 2000 she was elected Deputy in Romania's Parliament and, in 2004, to the Romanian Senate. As a Senator, she sat on the Foreign Policy Committee, and was a full member of the Romanian Delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the OSCE. In January 2005, at the invitation of the Jordanian Government, she conducted a training seminar at Amman for appointees to spokesperson positions in Iraq. Crețu was also an OSCE observer to the parliamentary election of March 2005 in Moldova and to the general election of 2006 in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
In 2005, Crețu was appointed a member of the Romanian parliamentary delegation to the European Parliament. She was elected Member of the European Parliament (sitting with the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats) on January 1, 2007 following the accession of Romania to the European Union, being re-elected as MEP in 2009 and 2014.
Her father, Traian Crețu (1937–1995), was Professor of Physics at the Politehnica University of Bucharest. Her mother, Verginia Crețu  is a Child Development Psychologist and was a Professor at the University of Bucharest.
- Agerpres (29 May 2014). "2014EP BIOGRAPHY MEP Corina Cretu". Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- "Corina Cretu". Huffington Post. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- "Corina Cretu". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 19 October 2014.[dead link]
- EurActiv.com (2 October 2014). "EPP holds Damocles' sword over Crețu". Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- Mihai, Cătălina (10 September 2014). "Corina Crețu, desemnată comisar european pentru Politică Regională. Componența completă a viitoarei Comisii Europene". Mediafax. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- Tudor, Iulian (3 October 2014). "Corina Crețu, printre premianții Comisiei Europene". RomaniaTV. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- "Commission: Corina Cretu n’a pas vraiment crevé l'écran (in French)". Lalibre.be. 1 October 2014. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- "Corina Cretu gets positive opinion after EP hearing". The Diplomat Bucharest. 2 October 2014. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- Dadacul, Liviu (10 September 2014). "BIOGRAFIE: Cine este Corina Creţu, noul comisar european pentru Politică Regională". Mediafax. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- "EC president Junker prefers Corina Cretu for Regional Policy European Commissioner mandate". Romania-Insider. 2 September 2014. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- "Corina Creţu, observator OSCE la alegerile din Bosnia/Herțegovina (in Romanian)". Amos News. 29 September 2006. Retrieved 12 October 2014.
- "Victor Ponta, la TVR, după reconfirmarea în funcţia de preşedinte al PSD: Greul acum începe (in Romanian)". Stirile TVR. 20 April 2013. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- Crețu, Corina (10 July 2008). "Tata". http://corinacretu.wordpress.com. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- "Corina Crețu s-a căsătorit cu omul de afaceri Ovidiu Rogoz (in Romanian)". DCnews. 10 November 2012. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- "Corina Cretu s-a cununat religios. Iliescu: Avea nevoie sa se casatoreasca, era putin cam stinghera". StirileProTV.ro. 11 November 2012. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- European Parliament profile
- European Parliament official photo
- Creţu's Official website and blog
- Corina Creţu, The British War Against Immigrants is Anti-European, Unjustified and Wrong, Huffington Post, 2 June 2014.
- (Romanian) Corina Creţu at the Romanian Senate site
- (Romanian) Corina Creţu at the Romanian Chamber of Deputies site
|Romanian European Commissioner
|European Commissioner for Regional Policy