She was a photojournalist for the Reuters news agency, in Central America, Europe and Africa. She was a psychiatric social worker in San Francisco. She graduated from the University of California, Berkeley with a master's degree in social welfare.
- 1996 1st prize, Spot News stories 
- 1996 "OPC Awards: The Robert Capa Gold Medal". Overseas Press Club of America.
- 1997 International Women's Media Foundation Courage in Journalism Award
- 2003 MacArthur Fellows Program
- "Guinea's depressingly familiar strongman", The Guardian, 30 September 2009
- "Charles Taylor's trail of carnage", The New Statesman, 10 April 2006
- "Disappearances", Crimes of War
- "Youth, poverty and blood: the lethal legacy of West Africa's regional warriors", Volume 17, Issue 5, Human Rights Watch, 2005
- "The Mexico City Earthquake Disaster", Social casework, Volume 69, Family Service America, 1988
- IWMF website http://www.iwmf.org/article.aspx?id=572&c=cijwinner
- "Nigeria: Use Restraint in Curbing Jos Violence", Human Rights Watch, January 19, 2010
- "Open Letter to Corinne Dufka of HRW-Stop Spreading Misleading Information on the Jos Conflict", 21 January 2010