Cork County (Parliament of Ireland constituency)
|Former County constituency|
for the Irish House of Commons
|Replaced by||Cork County|
Cork County was a constituency represented in the Irish House of Commons to 1800.
Boundaries and Boundary Changes
In the Patriot Parliament of 1689 summoned by King James II, Cork County was represented with two members. Following the Act of Union 1800 the borough retained two parliamentary seats in the United Kingdom House of Commons.
Members of Parliament
- 1585: April. Sir John Norreys, knt. William Cogan, Esq. John Fitzgerald, Esq., of Cloyne.
- 1613: April 19. Dermod McCarthy, Esq., of Lohort. Andrew Barrett, Esq., of Ballincollig.
- 1634: June 23. Sir William St. Leger, knt., of Doneraile. Sir Donagh McCarthy, knt.
- 1639: March 2. Sir William St. Leger, knt., of Doneraile. Sir Donagh McCarthy, knt. Redmond Roche, of Cahirduggan, expelled the 22nd of June, 1642, for the 1641 Rebellion.
- 1661: April 25. Hon. Richard Boyle. Sir Henry Tynte, knt., of Roxhall.
- 1661: June 2. Sir John Perceval, 1st Baronet of Burton, in place of Tynte, deceased.
- 1665: Dec. 7th. Roger Boyle, in place of Richard Boyle, translated to the Lords.
- 1665-1666: John St Ledger (d.31 March 1696).
|Election||First member||First party||Second member||Second party|
|1689 Patriot Parliament||Justin McCarthy||Sir Richard Nagle|
|1692||Sir St John Brodrick||Henry Boyle|
|1703||Sir John Perceval, 5th Bt|
|1715||Henry Boyle||St John Brodrick|
|1728||Sir Matthew Deane, 3rd Bt|
|1765||Hon. John Lysaght|
|1776||Sir Robert Deane, 6th Bt|
|1798||Robert Uniacke Fitzgerald|
|1801||Succeeded by the Westminster constituency Cork County|
- O'Hart (2007), p. 500
- O'Hart, John (2007). The Irish and Anglo-Irish Landed Gentry: When Cromwell came to Ireland. vol. II. Heritage Books. ISBN 0-7884-1927-7.
- Johnston-Liik, E. M. (2002). History of the Irish Parliament, 1692–1800, Publisher: Ulster Historical Foundation (28 Feb 2002), ISBN 1-903688-09-4
- T. W. Moody, F. X. Martin, F. J. Byrne, A New History of Ireland 1534-1691, Oxford University Press, 1978
- Tim Cadogan and Jeremiah Falvey, A Biographical Dictionary of Cork, 2006, Four Courts Press ISBN 1-84682-030-8
- Leigh Rayment's historical List of Members of the Irish House of Commonscites: Johnston-Liik, Edith Mary (2002). The History of the Irish Parliament 1692-1800 (6 volumes). Ulster Historical Foundation.