Cork East and North East (Dáil Éireann constituency)
|Cork East and North East|
|Former Dáil Éireann
|County/City council||County Cork|
Cork East and North East was a parliamentary constituency represented in Dáil Éireann, the lower house of the Irish parliament or Oireachtas from 1921 to 1923. The constituency elected 3 deputies (Teachtaí Dála, commonly known as TDs) to the Dáil, using the single transferable vote form of proportional representation (PR-STV).
History and boundaries
The constituency was created in 1921 as a 3 seater, under the Government of Ireland Act 1920, for the 1921 general election to the House of Commons of Southern Ireland, whose members formed the 2nd Dáil.
It was abolished under the Electoral Act 1923, when it was replaced by the new Cork East and Cork North constituencies which were first used at the 1923 general election for the Members of the 4th Dáil.
It covered the northern eastern and eastern parts of County Cork.
|Teachtaí Dála (TDs) for Cork East and North East 1921–1923|
|4th||1923||Constituency abolished. See Cork East and Cork North|
Note: The columns in this table are used only for presentational purposes, and no significance should be attached to the order of columns. For details of the order in which seats were won at each election, see the detailed results of that election.
1922 general election
|1922 general election: Cork East and North East|
|Farmers' Party||John Dinneen||6,989||29.4||1||1|
|Sinn Féin (Anti-Treaty)||David Kent||5,198||21.8||2||3|
|Businessmen's Party||Michael Hennessy||5,029||21.1||3||3|
|Sinn Féin (Anti-Treaty)||Thomas Hunter||3,409||14.3|
|Sinn Féin (Anti-Treaty)||Séamus Fitzgerald||3,189||13.4|
|Electorate: 39,233 Valid: 23,814 Quota: 5,954 Turnout: 60.7%|
1921 general election
|1921 general election: Cork East and North East|
|Sinn Féin||Séamus Fitzgerald||Unopposed||N/A||1|
|Sinn Féin||Thomas Hunter||Unopposed||N/A||2|
|Sinn Féin||David Kent||Unopposed||N/A||3|
- Parliamentary constituencies in the Republic of Ireland
- Politics of the Republic of Ireland
- List of historic Dáil Éireann constituencies
- Elections in the Republic of Ireland
- "Electoral (Amendment) Act, 1923: (Constituencies)". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- Walker, Brian M, ed. (1992). Parliamentary election results in Ireland, 1918–92. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy. ISBN 0-901714-96-8. ISSN 0332-0286.
- "General election 1921: Cork East and North East". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- "General election 1922: Cork East and North East". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 14 September 2010.