Corliss High School
|Corliss High School|
In Pursuit Of Excellence.
|821 E. 103rd Street
Chicago, Illinois, 60628
|School type||Public Secondary|
|School district||Chicago Public Schools|
|Athletics conference||Chicago Public League|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
George Henry Corliss High School (commonly known as Corliss High School), is a public 4–year high school located in the Pullman neighborhood on the south side of Chicago, Illinois, United States. Corliss is operated by the Chicago Public Schools district. The school is named in the honor of American engineer, George Henry Corliss. Corliss opened in September of 1974. The school's sports teams are nicknamed the Trojans. Corliss shares its campus with Butler College Preparatory High School, a public charter school which is apart of the Noble Network of Charter Schools.
Corliss High School was founded in 1971 as a result of overcrowding at two neighborhood high schools, Harlan and Fenger. The school opened to freshman and sophomore classes, totaling 800 students, in September 1974. The following year, an additional 1,100 students enrolled. Corliss' first senior class graduation occurred in June 1977. In 2012, the school joined the Chicago Public Schools' STEM Program.
In honor of the African-American heritage, Corliss has named different facilities within the school after famous African-Americans. The school auditorium was named in honor of the composer/pianist Duke Ellington, which is called "Ellington Hall". The physical education building was named for the baseball player Jackie Robinson. The library media center named for the Harlem Renaissance poet Arna Bontemps.
Corliss competes in the Chicago Public League (CPL) and a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA). It's sports teams are nicknamed the Trojans. The boys' football team were Class 5A and qualified for state finals three times; 1981–82, 2002–03 and 2004–05.
- Anthony Beale (Class of 1985) — Alderman, City of Chicago (9th ward).
- Antwon Tanner (attended) — Actor, (Moesha, The Parkers, One Tree Hill).
- Darrell Walker (Class of 1979) — former NBA guard, (New York Knicks, Washington Bullets) (1983–93).Current assistant coach of the New York Knicks.
- "High School Code Search". College Board. Retrieved 2 January 2010.
- Corliss. Retrieved on 31 July 2012.
- "Chicago Public Schools: Corliss". Chicago Public Schools. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Chicago (Corliss)". Illinois High School Association (IHSA). 31 December 2009. Retrieved 2 January 2010.
- "Institution Summary for Corliss High School". AdvacedED profile. North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement. Retrieved 2 January 2010.
- Corliss High School to Share Building with New Charter School
- Corliss High School History. Retrieved on July 31, 2012.
- School History. Retrieved on August 11, 2013.
- IHSA Chicago (Corliss)
- "Darrell Walker". statistics and biographic information. Basketball-Reference.com. Retrieved 2 January 2010.