- For the Cornelius Roosevelt born in 1915, see Cornelius V.S. Roosevelt.
|Born||Cornelius Van Schaack Roosevelt
January 30, 1794
New York City, U.S.
|Died||July 17, 1871 (aged 77)
Oyster Bay, New York
(m. 1821–1861; her death)
|Children||Silas, James, Cornelius Jr., Robert, Theodore, and William|
|Parent(s)||James Jacobus Roosevelt
Maria Van Schaack
|Relatives||See Roosevelt family|
Cornelius Van Schaack "C.V.S." Roosevelt (January 30, 1794 – July 17, 1871) was an American businessman from New York City and a member of the Roosevelt family. He was the grandfather of U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt
Life and career
Roosevelt was born in New York City, the son of Maria Helen (Van Schaack) and James Jacobus Roosevelt, and was the last full-blooded Dutch Roosevelt of his line. Through his mother Roosevelt was a descendant of the Schuyler family through his great great grandmother Maria Schuyler. 
His brother James John Roosevelt (1795—1875) served as a New York Congressman. He attended Columbia College but academic life did not suit him, and he did not graduate. However, he was adept at business; an importer of hardware and plate glass, he became his father's partner, inherited a large fortune, and was one of the five richest men in New York City. He was one of the founders of the Chemical Bank of New York City, which later became Chase. He died in Oyster Bay, New York.
On October 9, 1821, he married Margaret Barnhill (December 13, 1799 — January 23, 1861), a daughter of Robert Craig Barnhill and Elizabeth Potts. Margaret was a descendant of English and Irish Quakers. She was also a descendant of Thomas Pott of Wales through mother Elizabeth. C.V.S. and Margaret had six sons:
- Silas Weir Roosevelt (October 18, 1823 — March 24, 1870)
- James Alfred Roosevelt (June 13, 1825 — July 15, 1898), father of William Emlen Roosevelt
- Cornelius Van Schaack Roosevelt, Jr. (June 13, 1827 — September 30, 1887)
- Robert Barnhill Roosevelt (August 7, 1829 — June 14, 1906), father of Granville Roland Fortescue
- Theodore "Thee" Roosevelt, Sr. (September 22, 1831 — February 9, 1878), father of President Theodore "T.R." Roosevelt, Jr.
- William Wallace Roosevelt (September 20, 1834 — December 18, 1835)
- Schriftgiesser, Karl (1942). The Amazing Roosevelt Family, 1613–1942. Wildred Funk, Inc.
- Genealogy of the Oyster Bay Roosevelts. Almanac of Theodore Roosevelt http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/trfamily.html Accessed March 14, 2015
- Meyers, Cornelius V. (1902). Theodore Roosevelt, Patriot and Statesman: The True Story of an Ideal American. P.W. Ziegler & Co.
- Hubert, Philip G. (1903). The Merchants' National Bank of the City of New York.
- "Cornelius Van Schaak Roosevelt/Margaret Barnhill". latrobefamily.com.
- "Barnhill family". melissagenealogy.stormpages.com. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- McCullough, David (2001). Mornings on Horseback: The Story of an Extraordinary Family, a Vanished Way of Life and the Unique Child Who Became Theodore Roosevelt. Simon and Schuster.
- "POTTS FAMILY SHORT STORY". heritech.com. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- Almanac of Theodore Roosevelt Family Tree
- Isa Carrington Cabell (1900). "Roosevelt, Nicholas I.". Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography.
|This article about a United States businessperson is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|