Location map of Cornell Terminal
|Location||Rose Way, Markham, ON
|Owned by||Regional Municipality of York|
|Operated by||York Region Transit|
|Bus operators|| YRT
Durham Region Transit
Cornell Terminal is a bus terminus, that has been part of long term planning by York Region Transit, and is expected to open in 2017 on a site immediately south of Markham Stouffville Hospital in Markham, Ontario, Canada.
A long term proposal for a Metrolinx transitway terminal close to Highway 407 and future integration with a Havelock GO Train line, which would use the CPR Havelock Subdivision, will not result in the Cornell Terminal being moved, since it will still be required for local bus services and Viva would serve both locations.
York Region acquired land in 2014 in the Cornell Centre district, just south of the hospital property and adjacent to a proposed extension of Rose Way east of 9th Line. This location will to serve the hospital, community centre and local residents, while relieving Church Street of bus traffic and congestion at the hospital entrance. At that time the terminal was scheduled to open in mid 2016, but it is not now expected to be in operation until late 2017.
The terminal will be the eastern terminus of Viva Rapid Transit's Viva Purple route and a hub for local York Region Transit bus routes. There will be connections with GO Transit and Durham Region Transit.
- "Project Status Quarterly Report – Q1-2016" (PDF). vivanext. York Region Rapid Transit Corporation. 2016. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- "CORNELL TERMINAL STATUS REPORT" (PDF). Report No. 6 of the Rapid Transit Public/Private Partnership Steering Committee. York Regional Council. 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- "AWARD OF CORNELL TERMINAL SITE PLAN" (PDF). Report No. 1 of the Rapid Transit Public/Private Partnership Steering Committee. York Regional Council. 2008-01-24. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- "The Cornell terminal will remain in place providing a transit interconnection for the VIVA and YRT local service primarily focused on Highway 7" (PDF). Interim Report for the Cornell Centre Precinct Plan. Markham. 2013-02-15. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- "Project Status Quarterly - Q1 2015 - York Region" (PDF). York Region Rapid Transit Corporation. 2015-05-14. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
Cornell Terminal land acquisition closed in October 2014, located in the City of Markham at Highway 7 East and Ninth Line in the vicinity of Markham-Stouffville Hospital (MSH). Procurement for design and construction services are underway with construction to start in 2016, with completion in late 2017
- "rapid transit construction in Markham: 2014" (PDF). Metrolinx/VivaNext. 2014. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- "New transit facility open for service in York Region". News Releases. Transport Canada. 2015-07-21. Retrieved 2015-08-14.