Cornwall, Prince Edward Island
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Entrance to Hyde Park
|Province||Prince Edward Island|
|Incorporated Town||April 1, 1995|
|• Type||Town Council|
|• Mayor||Minerva McCourt|
|• Deputy Mayor||Gary Ramsay|
|• Councillors||Elaine Barnes, Irene Dawson, Jill MacIsaac, Shane McGuigan, Peter Meggs|
|• CAO||Kevin McCarville|
|• Total||28.19 km2 (10.88 sq mi)|
|Elevation||27 m (89 ft)|
|• Density||195.7/km2 (507/sq mi)|
|• Change (2011-2016)||3.6%|
|Time zone||UTC-4 (Atlantic (AST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-3 (ADT)|
|Canadian Postal code|
C0A 1H0 & C0A 3H0
The town is located immediately west of the provincial capital Charlottetown.
The community of Cornwall traces its history to European settlement in the 18th century and was a predominantly farming community until the construction of Route 1, the Trans-Canada Highway, during the early 1910s. Several subdivisions were created near the intersection of the new highway with the Meadowbank Road, along with a small commercial strip.
The amalgamation did not see any controversies. It was claimed that the name of the community of Cornwall would survive while the others were dissolved. Some residents had called for a new community name, as what occurred in the case of Stratford (also amalgamated at the same time).
- Jared Connaughton, sprinter, Olympian, 2005 Canada Games gold medalist 100m & 200m
- Adam McQuaid, NHL hockey player, Stanley Cup Champion 2011
The town established the Cornwall Business Park in 1997.
- "Interim List of Changes to Municipal Boundaries, Status and Names: January 2, 1991 to January 1, 1996" (PDF). Statistics Canada. February 1997. p. 42. Retrieved October 28, 2018.
- "New School Board".
- www.town.cornwall.pe.ca Town of Cornwall - official website
- Government of PEI Profile
- Epodunk Town Profile