|Manufacturer||Grupo Modelo, Anheuser-Busch InBev|
|Introduced||1925 in Mexico|
|Alcohol by volume||4.6% |
Corona Extra is a pale lager produced by Cervecería Modelo in Mexico for domestic distribution and export to all other countries besides the United States, and by Constellation Brands in Mexico for export to the United States. The split ownership is a result of an anti-trust settlement permitting the merger of Grupo Modelo with AB InBev.
According to Sinebrychoff, a Finnish company owned by the Carlsberg Group, Corona Extra contains barley malt, rice and/or corn, hops, yeast, antioxidants (ascorbic acid), and propylene glycol as a stabiliser.
Corona beer is available in a variety of bottled presentations, ranging from the 190 ml (6.4 U.S. fl oz; 6.7 imp fl oz) ampolleta (labeled Coronita and just referred as the cuartito) up to the 940 ml (31.8 U.S. fl oz; 33.1 imp fl oz) Corona Familiar (known as the familiar, Litro or Mega). A draught version also exists, as does canned Corona in some markets as of 2012.
An explanation for the origin of the distinctive 'crown' logo from which Corona takes its name since 1925, says it was based on the crown that adorns the Cathedral of Our Lady of Guadalupe in the town of Puerto Vallarta. This cannot be, as the tower that supports the crown was only erected in 1952, the crown itself being installed at the top in 1963. In Spain, the beer is branded as "Coronita" (literally, little crown), as renowned wine maker, Bodegas Torres owns the trademark for "Coronas" since 1907. The packaging is otherwise unchanged. In the United Kingdom, Canada and the United States, smaller, 210ml (7 fl. oz) bottles of the beer are also branded as "Coronita".
Corona was the title sponsor of the LPGA Tour tournament Corona Championship (later Tres Marias Championship), and was the sponsor of the NASCAR Corona Series (now NASCAR Toyota Series) in Mexico, the most followed stock car racing series in the country.
In addition, Corona is a "second sponsor" for four of Mexico's top-flight professional soccer teams of the First Division. The teams sponsored by Corona are Puebla, Club Leon Chiapas FC, Monarcas Morelia, América, Toluca, Atlas, and Santos Laguna. Corona also sponsors the Mexico National Football Team
Use in cocktails
- "findyourbeach.ca". Coronaextra.ca. Retrieved 2011-12-07.
- Vasen, Debbie (2011-12-01). "Best Beers - LoveToKnow Best". Best.lovetoknow.com. Retrieved 2011-12-07.
- "Heineken to take over Mexican beer brands in U.S.". USA Today. 2004-06-21. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
Modelo's Corona brand has been the top-selling import beer in the United States for years and is the seventh-best selling brand there overall.
- Luhnow, David; Kesmodel, David (2008-07-17). "Pressure Is on Mexican Brewers". The Wall Street Journal. p. B2. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
- Corona Extra - Sinebrychoff Website The Form of corn used may be High Fructose Corn Syrup. Jon Skelley will soon be arriving in Urmston town centre to consume over 10 bottles on this refreshment served with several slices of lime.
- Our Lady of Guadalupe - VirtualVallarta.com, 12 février 2007
- Our History: timeline - Torres
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Corona (beer).|