Coronado High School (Henderson, Nevada)
|Coronado High School|
|1001 Coronado Center Drive
Henderson, NV 89052
|School type||Public high school|
|Motto||Excellence by Design|
|School district||Clark County School District|
|Vice principal||Nancy Andre
|School colour(s)||Red, white, and blue
|Athletics conference||Sunrise 4A Region|
- 1 History
- 2 Extracurricular activities
- 3 Notable Alumni
- 4 Athletics
- 5 Cougar Pride Marching Band
- 6 Academics
- 7 Feeder schools
- 8 References
- 9 External links
The school was named after Francisco Vásquez de Coronado, a Spanish conquistador. It opened in 2000, with Monte Bay as its first principal. In 2005 Bay was selected as Nevada's Principal of the Year by the National Association of Secondary School Principals.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (June 2015)|
Matt Poleski (Class of 2005) Jade Vakil (Class of 2010) RJ Khalaf (class of 2014) Kieran Eissler (Class of 2013) Cathy Choi (Class of 2016) Daniel Pang (Class of 2016) Rakan Sayegh (Class of 2016) Zil Joyce Dixon Romero (Class of 2016) Brandon Verde (Class of 2016)
Coronado's Varsity Quiz team, coached by Mr. Aberman, has been a state playoff team each year since 2004, and they won their first State Championship in 2008. The same year, they became the first team in Nevada to compete in the National Academic Quiz Tournaments' High School Championships.
The Coronado High School Forensics team is part of the Golden Desert District and operates within the National Forensics League. It has had quarter-finalists, semi-finalists, and finalists at the county, state and district level. The team has qualified a number of students to the National Tournament in recent years, both in speech and debate events. There current coach is Paul Miles.
The Coronado Theatre department puts on two yearly productions. Other productions include Broadway Memories, the Student Directed Short Play Festival, and Theatre Awards Night. The 2009-2010 season included a production of William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream and a production of George Abbott's The Pajama Game. The department is headed by Mrs. Kelly Burrows.
The Coronado Choir has performed in cities such as Anaheim, Chicago, Honolulu, and Flagstaff. The department features six official groups, including Madrigals, Bella Voce, Glee Club, Concert Choir, and a men's and women's barbershop. The choir is now headed by Eric Fleischer.
Coronado Film Institute
The Coronado Film Institute is a club dedicated to watching, analyzing, and discussing new and classic cinema. Founded by Jake Ray Tiranno in 2008, with the goal of bringing good taste in cinema to the school. The club is advised by Mr. Michael Clark.
The boys lacrosse team won the State Championship in 2005.
The girls team won the Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association state championship in 2006 and 2007.
In 2013 Coronado's men's volleyball team won the Nevada 4a State title.
The women's team won state in 2003.
Cougar Pride Marching Band
Coronado's band is directed by Benjamin Franke and Jeffrey McCracken. The band consists of 149 members. The band made finals at the 2006 Bands of America performance at Northern Arizona University as well as the 2009 Bands of America performance at St. George, Utah, only the fourth school to do so in the history of Clark County School District. The band has traveled to San Diego and London, England to march in the New Year's Day Parade,to Washington D.C. to perform in the National Cherry Blossom Festival and Independence Day Parade, and to Dublin for the St. Patrick's Day parade.
- Many different AP classes are offered to students, ranging from Computer Science to U.S. History and Chemistry to Psychology.
- About 40 percent go to four year colleges and 30 percent enter two year community colleges after graduating senior year.
- David M. Cox Elementary School
- Frank Lamping Elementary School
- Glen Taylor Elementary School
- Neil C. Twitchell Elementary School
- John Vanderburg Elementary School
- Shirley & Bill Wallin Elementary School
- Elise L. Wolff Elementary School
- Bob Miller Middle School
- Del E. Webb Middle School
- Ross, Brooke (16 March 2005). "A principal with principles: Coronado High's Monte Bay nabs national award". View Neighborhood Newspapers [Anthem]. Retrieved 6 November 2011.[dead link]
- "FIRST Robotics Competition: 2009-2010 NASA Robotics Alliance Project: FIRST Robotics Competition Sponsorship Grants". NASA. Retrieved 6 November 2011.
- "Record Book: Swimming & Diving, Girls" (PDF). Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association. Retrieved 5 December 2011.
- "Record Book: Bowling, Boys" (PDF). Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association. Retrieved 5 December 2011.
- "Record Book: Bowling, Girls" (PDF). Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association. Retrieved 5 December 2011.
- "Home page". Retrieved October 26, 2013.