Coronado High School (Henderson, Nevada)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Coronado High School|
|1001 Coronado Center Drive
Henderson, NV 89052
|School type||Public high school|
|Motto||Excellence by Design|
|School district||Clark County School District|
|School colour(s)||Red, white, and blue
|Athletics conference||Sunrise 4A Region|
|Website||Coranado High School|
- 1 History
- 2 Extracurricular activities
- 3 Athletics
- 4 Cougar Pride Marching Band
- 5 Notable Alumni
- 6 Academics
- 7 Feeder schools
- 8 References
- 9 External links
The school was named after Francisco Vásquez de Coronado, a Spanish conquistador. It opened in 2000, with Monte Bay as its first principal. In 2005 Bay was selected as Nevada's Principal of the Year by the National Association of Secondary School Principals.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (June 2015)|
There are more than fifty activities that a student can participate in at Coronado. Among them are Spanish and French clubs, Key Club, NHS, and AP Club.
Coronado's Varsity Quiz team, coached by Mr. Aberman, has been a state playoff team each year since 2004, and they won their first State Championship in 2008. The same year, they became the first team in Nevada to compete in the National Academic Quiz Tournaments' High School Championships. The team also won the State Championship in 2016 with students Kyle Burt and Theo Clark co-captaining the team.
Speech and Debate
The Coronado High School Speech and Debate team is part of the Golden Desert District and operates within the National Speech and Debate association. It has had quarter-finalists, semi-finalists, and finalists at the county, state, district and National level. The team has qualified a number of students to the National Tournament in recent years, both in speech and debate events. Their current coach is Mr. Paul Miles.
The Coronado Theatre department puts on two yearly productions. Other productions include Broadway Memories, the Student Directed Short Play Festival, and Theatre Awards Night. The 2009-2010 season included a production of William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream and a production of George Abbott's The Pajama Game. The department is headed by Mrs. Kelly Burrows.
The Coronado Choir has performed in cities such as Anaheim, Chicago, Honolulu, and Flagstaff. They performed in Carnegie Hall in New York City in the spring of 2016. The department features six official groups, including Madrigals, Bella Voce, Glee Club, Concert Choir, and a men's and women's barbershop. The choir is now headed by Mr. Eric Fleischer.
The boys lacrosse team won the State Championship in 2005.
The girls team won the Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association state championship in 2006 and 2007.
In 2013 Coronado's men's volleyball team won the Nevada 4a State title.
The women's team won state in 2003.
Cougar Pride Marching Band
Coronado's band is directed by Jeffrey McCracken and Amber Scruton. The band consists of 149 members. The band made finals at the 2006 Bands of America performance at Northern Arizona University as well as the 2009 Bands of America performance at St. George, Utah, at the time only the fourth school to do so in the history of Clark County School District. The band has traveled to San Diego and London, England to march in the New Year's Day Parade,to Washington D.C. to perform in the National Cherry Blossom Festival and Independence Day Parade, and to Dublin for the St. Patrick's Day parade.
- R.R. Argier '03 - Janitor
- Many different AP classes are offered to students, ranging from Computer Science to U.S. History and Chemistry to Psychology.
- About 40 percent go to four year colleges and 30 percent enter two year community colleges after graduating senior year.
- David M. Cox Elementary School
- Frank Lamping Elementary School
- Glen Taylor Elementary School
- Neil C. Twitchell Elementary School
- John Vanderburg Elementary School
- Elise L. Wolff Elementary School
- Bob Miller Middle School
- Del E. Webb Middle School
- Barbara and Hank Greenspun Junior High School
- Ross, Brooke (16 March 2005). "A principal with principles: Coronado High's Monte Bay nabs national award". View Neighborhood Newspapers [Anthem]. Archived from the original on November 18, 2005. Retrieved 6 November 2011.
- "FIRST Robotics Competition: 2009-2010 NASA Robotics Alliance Project: FIRST Robotics Competition Sponsorship Grants". NASA. Retrieved 6 November 2011.
- "Record Book: Swimming & Diving, Girls" (PDF). Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association. Retrieved 5 December 2011.
- "Record Book: Bowling, Boys" (PDF). Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association. Retrieved 5 December 2011.
- "Record Book: Bowling, Girls" (PDF). Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association. Retrieved 5 December 2011.
- Admin, MFA. "Flagstaff, AZ". Retrieved 2016-08-30.
- "Home page". Retrieved October 26, 2013.