Fronted by two female singers with contrasting voices and styles, the band has released eight studio albums since 2007. Recreatio Carminis and Secrets of Nature are the only albums so far to feature three female singers.
Founded in 1999 by vocalist Georgios Grigoriadis and drummer Mats Kurth, Coronatus released its debut single Von Engeln nur in 2002. In 2004, Grigoriadis left, and was replaced by not one but two singers, Carmen R. Schäfer and Viola Schuch. The permanent line-up was expanded in 2006 with the addition of guitarist Stefan Häfele, bassist Wolle Nillies and keyboardist Fabian Merkt.
2007 saw the departure of Viola Schuch, who was replaced by Ada Flechtner.
Chriz diAnno (bass) has played with the band in 2003, 2005–2006, and then again since 2007. Ada Flechtner left the band to devote full attention to her studies, but joined the German symphonic metal band Voices of Destiny in 2013, after their lead vocalist Maike Holzmann departed. Mid 2010, Natalia Kempin joined the band on the vocals and Dirk Baur joined the Band on Bass Guitar. On February 2, 2011, Natalia Kempin announced at her Facebook, that she leaves the band, due to different opinions about the band's music.
The band follows in the style of established groups Nightwish and Epica. Their lyrics are in German, English and Latin, and their songs deal with life, interpersonal relationships, religion and death. Their musical style is melodic, rhythmic Gothic metal with influences from symphonic metal, pagan metal and medieval metal. Songs are performed by two female singers whose styles are very different.
Concerts and recordings
The band's first contract was in June 2007 with record label Massacre Records and their first CD was released on 21 September 2007. Their second album was launched on 28 November 2008. The band has also taken part in several concerts with groups such as Haggard and Within Temptation.
- Current members
- Carmen R. Lorch - vocals (2004–2010, 2013–present)
- Gaby Koss - vocals (2017-present)
- Mareike Makosch - vocals (2011-2014, 2017-present)
- Mats Kurth - drums (1999–present)
- Previous members
- Pinu'u Remus - Keyboard (2013-2014)
- Georgios Grigoriadis - vocals (1999–2003)
- Martin Goes - bass guitar (2002–2003)
- Oliver Szczypula - guitars (2002–2003)
- Tanja Ivenz - vocals (2002–2003)
- Chriz DiAnno - bass guitar (2004–2009)
- Clarissa Darling - guitars (2004–2005)
- Verena Schock - vocals (2004–2006)
- Wolle Nillies - guitars (2005–2007)
- Jo Lang - guitars (2007–2011)
- Fabian Merkt - keyboards (2005–2010)
- Ada Flechtner - vocals (2007–2009, 2011–2014)
- Viola Schuch - female vocals (2006–2007)
- Michael Teutsch - bass guitar (2006)
- Stefan Häfele - bass guitar (2006–2007)
- Jakob Thiersch - guitars (2006)
- Todd Goldfinger - bass guitar (2009–2010)
- Lisa Lasch - vocals (2009–2010)
- Natalia Kempin - vocals (2010–2011)
- Simon Hassemer - keyboards (2011-2012)
- Aria Keramati Nori - guitar (2009–2014)
- Dirk Baur - Bass (2011-2014)
- Anny Maleyes - vocals (2014–2017)
- Olivér D. - Guitar (2014-2017)
- Susanne Bachmann - Bass (2015-2017)
- Dennis Schwachhofer - keyboards (2015)
- Studio albums
- 2007: Lux Noctis
- 2008: Porta Obscura
- 2009: Fabula Magna
- 2011: Terra Incognita
- 2013: Recreatio Carminis
- 2014: Cantus Lucidus
- 2015: Raben im Herz
- 2017: Secrets of Nature
- 2002: Von Engeln nur
- 2005: Promo CD
- Compilation albums
- 2011: Best of
- 2012: Best of 2007–2011
- Eck, Markus (2007). "Coronatus: Lux Noctis". Sonic Seducer (in German). No. 12. Archived from the original on 2013-04-14.
- "Coronatus – Lux Noctis". Metal Hammer (in German). 1 October 2007. Retrieved 2012-07-18.
- Froghy, Jasmin (2010). "Coronatus – Fabula Magna". Sonic Seducer (in German). No. 2. Archived from the original on 2013-04-14.