Corps of Commissionaires
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Corps of Commissionaires is a British security firm that has regional offices around the UK. It is the oldest security company in the world. Currently trading under the name Corps Security, it is a supplier of specialist security solutions and also owns a monitoring facility in the UK, the Corps Monitoring Centre or CMC.
The Corps of Commissionaires was founded in 1859 by Captain Sir Edward Walter KCB (1823-1904). Walter was the first to find an effective remedy to provide jobs for ex-servicemen who were willing and able to work after the Crimean War.
It is the oldest security company in the world. Currently trading as 'Corps Security', the head of the company has always been the British monarch. This tradition began with Queen Victoria and continues through to the present day with Queen Elizabeth II. In 2009, the Corps celebrated its 150th anniversary with a reception hosted at St James's Palace by HM The Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh at which 48 commissionaires formed a guard of honour.
Corps Security specialises in providing corporate security and has over 5,000 licensed security staff working in the UK. These staff are managed from 14 regional offices around the UK. Over 40% of the Corps Security staff have spent some or all of their careers in the military, police or fire services.
Service areas include the following:
- Manned guarding – within all business sectors
- Emergency support (Quick Response Force or QRF)
- Front of house concierge
- Reception and security reception services
- Security Control Room operatives and management
- Mobile patrols, key holding and alarm response
- Car park attendants and management
- Corporate events (stewards and management)
Business support services
- Mailroom management (including white powder screening etc.)
- Reception staff to undertake all “meet and greet” duties
- Support operatives (including print room reprographics)
- Consultative services (counter-terrorism, threat analysis/surveys)
- Canine detector services (narcotics and explosives)*
Remote monitoring services
- Dark screen CCTV monitoring
- Live CCTV surveillance
- Delivery and dispatch management
- Monitoring of all building security and management systems
- Remote access control
- Lone-worker monitoring
- Vehicle tracking
- Help desk functionality
- Corps Security official website - Our History Retrieved 8 October 2014
- Corps of Commissionaires reaches 150 year milestone at ifsecglobal Retrieved 8 October 2014