Corpus Christi Catholic College
|Corpus Christi Catholic College|
|Motto||Laborare est orare (To work is to pray)|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Local authority||City of Leeds|
|Trust||The St Gregory the Great Catholic Trust|
|Department for Education URN||148294 Tables|
|Principal||Mr James O'Doherty|
|Age||11 to 16|
|Colour(s)||Purple & yellow|
|Publication||C-Mail (school newsletter)|
Corpus Christi Catholic College is a co-educational secondary school located in Halton Moor, Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. The school currently has a roll of around 900 to 1,000 pupils. Around 50% of pupils achieve 5 A-C grades at GCSE.
- Liz Dawn (1946-1951) - British Actress
In September 2001 Corpus Christi became the first Inner City Leeds High School to gain Specialist School status when it became a Technology College. In 2005 the school became a member of the Specialist Schools Most Improved Schools' Club for the second occasion. It was awarded a School Achievement Award in 2003 and a recognition for the Healthy Schools Scheme.
In November 2006 the school was rated as overall Grade 2 (Good) by Ofsted, while, the same month, awarding it Grade 1 (Outstanding).
Between 2009 and 2013, with funds from the UK Government and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Leeds, the school was refurbished and modernised.
Previously a voluntary aided school administered by Leeds City Council, in April 2021 Corpus Christi Catholic College converted to academy status. The school is now sponsored by the St Gregory the Great Catholic Academy Trust.
Murder of Ann Maguire
On 28 April 2014, Ann Maguire, a 61-year-old teacher, died in hospital after a stabbing at the school. A 15-year-old male student was arrested and two days later charged with her murder. Pope Francis expressed his "sincere sympathy" for the family of Mrs Maguire. On 3 November 2014,16-year-old Will Cornick was sentenced to be detained at Her Majesty's pleasure with a minimum tariff of 20 years for Maguire's murder.
Corpus Christi Catholic College feeder primary schools are Corpus Christi Catholic Primary School, St Theresa's Roman Catholic Primary School, St Gregory's Catholic Primary School, Our Lady's Catholic Primary School and St Nicholas' Catholic Primary School.
The school rewards its pupils with monetary Attendance Draws for pupils with high attendance; 'Going for Gold' and punctuality certificates; and house points and credits with vouchers and certificates.
- "St Gregory the Great". Retrieved 22 April 2022.
- "Principal's Welcome". Corpus Christi Catholic College. Retrieved 3 February 2021.
- "Ofsted School Data Dashboard for Corpus Christi Catholic College". Dashboard.ofsted.gov.uk. Archived from the original on 29 April 2014. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
- "St Gregory the Great Catholic Academy Trust - Home". www.stgregorythegreatacademytrust.org.uk.
- Cockerton, Paul. "Corpus Christi Catholic College: 15-year-old boy arrested after female teacher is stabbed to death at school". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Teacher stabbed to death at Leeds school". BBC News. 28 April 2014. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Ann Maguire stabbing: 15-year-old charged with murder". BBC News. 30 April 2014. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
- "Teacher murder: Pope sends his condolences to family of Ann Maguire". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
- "Minimum 20 year jail term for teenager who murdered Leeds teacher". Yorkshire Evening Post. 3 November 2014. Retrieved 11 November 2014.
- "Ann Maguire murder: Will Cornick sentenced to life". BBC News. 3 November 2014. Retrieved 11 November 2014.