Corton Windmill in 1910
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||NR32 5|
|EU Parliament||East of England|
Corton is a suburb in the town of Lowestoft in the Waveney district, in the English county of Suffolk. Corton is located around 3 miles (5 km) north of the centre of town. The local church is dedicated to St Bartholomew, it is a partial ruin, with only the chancel roofed, The estimated population was 1,140 in 2008, decreasing to 1,099 in the 2011 census. It has boundaries with the suburb of Gunton.
Corton is home to the main tourist attraction of the Pleasurewood Hills Theme and Amusement Park. There are also two holiday centres and a school. The beaches were a popular naturist area, but the nudist area was de-designated in November 2009. The cliffs of the beaches are suffering gradual coastal erosion.
Corton is recorded in the Domesday Book as Caretuna or Karetuna, a name probably derived from the Viking name Kari. It used to be in the Half Hundred of Lothingland, had a population of around 21 households and formed part of the King's holdings.
In 1870–72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Corton like this:
CORTON was 1,495 acres (6.05 km2); of which 140 are water. Real property, £2,614. Pop., 530. Houses, 126. The property is subdivided. The sea has made encroachments. Mammoth bones and other interesting fossils have been found. The church, excepting chancel and tower, was long dilapidated; but has been partially restored.
The Corton railway station closed in 1970 and the station building is now used as a private residence.
Corton is part of the electoral ward called Gunton and Corton. The population of this ward at the 2011 census was 4,400.
- St Bartholomew, Corton, Suffolk Churches. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Parish population 2011. Retrieved 2015-09-19.
- A profile of Waveney[permanent dead link], Waveney District Council, February 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-18.
- Gunton Sands (Corton Beach) Archived 12 December 2010 at the Wayback Machine., British Naturism. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Corton Archived 10 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine., Eastern Daily Press, 2010-04-13. Retrieved 2011-05-11.
- Corton: Corton Inn, Suffolk CAMRA. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Corton: White Horse, Suffolk CAMRA. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Corton CEVCP School profile, Suffolk County Council. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Corton, Domesday Book Online. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Corton, Domesday Map. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Corton, Suffolk, History of Britain. Retrieved 2011-04-23.