Cory Kennedy (skateboarder)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
October 4, 1990
Lake Stevens, Washington, U.S.
|Residence||Vashon Island, Washington, US|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
Cory Kennedy is an American professional skateboarder.
Kennedy first came to prominence after winning the amateur competition "Bang Yo'self 2", for which contestants were required to submit video parts to the judges from The Berrics website. In 2009 Kennedy finished in third place at "The Battle at the Berrics 2" contest, losing to Paul Rodriguez in the finals round.
In October 2009, the trailer for the full-length skateboard video Beware of Sasquatch was released, in which Kennedy appears in a part spanning just under 10 minutes, alongside skateboarders such as David Gravette and Vince de Valle. Brandon Jensen, who filmed and edited the video, published Kennedy's part on his YouTube channel in May 2010.
In 2010 Kennedy named a switch front-foot impossible 180, a trick that he stomped down the BERRICS 7 with masterful ease and awe-inspiring grace, the "Merlin Twist". In a subsequent interview, Kennedy attempted to explain the trick: "Your back foot is in the switch bigspin position. And you put your front foot pretty much on the nose. Then just scoop it really hard. Then, I don't know, dip your front foot down to whip the board around and then kinda hope you land it (laughs). I'm not very good at explaining."
Formerly sponsored by the RVCA apparel company, Kennedy accompanied the team of the skateboard apparel company Fourstar during an Australian tour in February 2014. A video narrated by the brand's cofounder, Eric Koston, was then published in March 2014 announcing Kennedy's recruitment to the Fourstar skateboard team. Koston explained:
He was chasing us with his camera; he was always in the way; eating shit; last to the bus; last off the bus; fought nasty; rode the worst board; stole our hats; hung his shit everywhere; never put down the "jam box;" was a "cop magnet;" ruined our grip; ruined our bearings; didn't take skating seriously; thought he was the coolest; bleeding all the time; slammed right on top of me; and we put him on the team anyway. Welcome to Fourstar Cory ... you dipshit.
Alongside professional skateboarders Vincent Alvarez, Stevie Perez, Elijah Berle, and Raven Tershy, Kennedy is a member of the "Trunk Boys" crew. Fellow professional skateboarder and company owner Guy Mariano explained his perspective in relation to the crew: "Their energy may look really wild, but they are all good kids with solid heads on their shoulders. I love Vince’s heart, passion and speed, Raven’s transition skills, Eli’s fearlessness, Cory’s natural ability to progress, and Stevie’s style and grace."
As of May 2010, Kennedy lives in Santa Monica, California, U.S. and explained in an interview that, since moving from Washington, he appreciated the sunnier weather of California, but was spending more time in traffic while commuting to skateboarding locations. Kennedy explained in a 2012 interview that a credit card is the only essential item that he carries during skateboard tours, as he loses everything else.
Kennedy was arrested August 31st, 2017 on Vashon Island, Washington on suspicion of vehicular homicide after a fatal car crash that killed beloved skateboarding videographer, Preston “P-Stone” Maigetter. Kennedy was booked into the King County Correctional Facility in Seattle and subsequently appeared in court. Although a judge found probable cause for vehicular homicide, Kennedy was not charged. Maigetter, a respected member of the skateboarding community, was best known for his contributions to Thrasher Magazine. His regular segment, Bru-Ray, was one that the skateboarding community looked forward to. He and Kennedy were close friends and both lived on Vashon Island. On Thrasher Magazine’s website, owner Tony Vitello posted a remembrance: “Nothing is more heartbreaking than hearing news that a loved one has passed away. It hits you like a ton of bricks. As I’m writing this now, I still haven’t moved an inch past the phase of shock, and I’m positive it’s because there’s no way Preston Maigetter has left us. There isn’t a stronger, more brimming-with-life person on this planet. I’m certain of it. Preston was everything you could ever want in a human being. He loved his family and friends and skateboarding and life like no other person I’ve ever known. Preston is the guy you’d bring along if you were stranded on a island. He’d find the food, keep you safe, and eventually when search parties came to the rescue you’d tell them to turn back.”
- Thrasher: King Of The Road 2010 (2010)
- Girl/Chocolate: Der Bratwurst Tour Ever (2010)
- RVCA: Dick Moves (2010)
- Girl: Outbackwards (2010)
- Nike SB: Don't Fear The Sweeper (2010)
- Beware of the Sasquatch (2010)
- Thrasher: King Of The Road 2011 (2011)
- Girl: Unbeleafable (2011)
- Sk8 Rats DVD Collection Volume #1 (2011)
- Sk8rats DVD Collection Volume #2 (2012)
- Pretty Sweet (2012)
- Sk8rats: Rat Poison (2014)
- Nike SB: Chronicles 3 (2015)
- Rich Myhre (2 August 2011). "Just skate it". HeraldNet.com. The Daily Herald Co., Everett, Wash. Retrieved 10 September 2012.
- Shane Auckland (22 July 2010). "A Trip Back Home - Part 1" (Video upload). The Berrics. The Berrics. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- crailtap (4 May 2010). "Mini Top 5 with Cory Kennedy concerning his big move to California". crailtap on YouTube. Google Inc. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- "Cory Kennedy: Bang Yo Self 2 Winner" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. 9 November 2009. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- pelzeppelin (27 August 2011). "battle at the berrics 2 cory kennedy vs paul rodriguez". YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- Blair Alley (8 October 2009). "BEWARE OF SASQUATCH TRAILER". TransWorld SKATEboarding. GrindMedia. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- Brandon Jensen (6 May 2010). "CORY KENNEDY - BEWARE OF SASQUATCH" (Video upload). YouTube. Google Inc. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- Chris Nieratko (15 June 2010). "CORY KENNEDY'S 'MERLIN TWIST' VIDEO INTERVIEW". X Games. ESPN. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- ThrasherMagazine (11 March 2011). "King of the Road 2010: Full Video" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- ThrasherMagazine (28 January 2012). "King of the Road 2011 Full Video" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- Jack Lowe (May 2011). "CORY KENNEDY PRO FOR GIRL SKATEBOARDS". Huh. HUH. Retrieved 10 September 2012.
- ""Pretty Sweet" Lost and Filmed with Cory Kennedy". Sidewalk. MPORA Pure Action Sports. 8 January 2013. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- Blair Alley (22 December 2011). "RVCA CORY KENNEDY VIDEO". TransWorld SKATEboarding. GrindMedia. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- TWS (29 January 2014). "FOURSTAR CROCODILE DONE DEAL TOUR". TransWorld SKATEboarding. GrindMedia. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- crailtap (24 March 2014). "Fourstar Clothing Welcomes Cory Kennedy" (Video upload). crailtap on YouTube. Google Inc. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- Chris (14 December 2012). "TRUNK BOYS". Lodown Magazine. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "Cory Kennedy shows up to the North Hollywood Park for a little surprise". Youtube. Crailtap. Jun 20, 2011. Retrieved 2015-09-17.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- Jaime Owens (29 January 2009). "NEW ROYAL TRUCKS SITE & CORY KENNEDY COMMERCIAL". Skateboarder Magazine. GrindMedia, LLC. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "Team – Cory Kennedy". Nike Skateboarding. Nike, Inc. May 2013. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "Cory Kennedy for Spitfire Wheels". Supra Distribution. Supra Distribution. 26 March 2013. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- Christine Clarridge & Erik Lacitis (1 September 2017). "Local pro skateboarder Cory Kennedy arrested after Vashon Island crash kills beloved videographer". The Seattle Times. The Seattle Times. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- ANNELI FOGT (7 September 2017). "Pro skateboarders involved in fatal Vashon Island crash". Vashon-Maury Island Beachcomber. Sound Publishing, Inc. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qEU-pw6qx8, retrieved 2015-09-18 Missing or empty
- Brandon Jensen (6 May 2010). "CORY KENNEDY - BEWARE OF SASQUATCH" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eTxlUVW8Dg, retrieved 2015-09-18 Missing or empty
- "Cory Kennedy skate videos". Skatevideosite.com. Skatevideosite.com. 2005–2013. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OrF_LKqC1o, retrieved 2015-09-18 Missing or empty