Cosima von Bonin
Cosima von Bonin
|Alma mater||Hamburg Academy|
Cosima von Bonin (born 1962) is a German contemporary artist. von Bonin's practice features the use of sculptures, textiles, sound, film and performances. von Bonin draws inspiration from the intellectual, artistic, and musical culture of her neighborhood in Cologne, Germany, where she currently lives and works.
Cosima von Bonin was born in Mombasa, Kenya and raised in Austria. von Bonin graduated from the Hochschule für bildende Künste Hamburg (University of Fine Arts in Hamburg). As a student her first memorable work, in a collaboration with Josef Strau, occurred as she exhibited herself in a window display at a Hamburg showroom in 1990.
One focus of von Bonin's artistic works is the relationship between works of art and the world of fashion, music and architecture. She often focuses on collective artistic production frequently including collaboration with other artists as well as parties, DJ sets, music performances and audio and video exhibitions. The exhibitions are of an ephemeral nature intended to reject the classical idea of the individual artistic genius.
Select solo exhibitions
- Cosima von Bonin: Roger and Out, Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles(2008)
- The Fatigue Empire, Kunsthaus Bregenz (2010)
- Cosima von Bonin, Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum (2011)
- Hippies use side door, (2014-2015)
Select group exhibitions
- Documenta 12 (2007)
- Home Sweet Home, Deichtorhallen (1997)
- First Graz Fan Fest (1995)
- Glockengeschrei nach Deutz - das Beste aller Seiten (The Bell Screams Towards Deutz - the Best of all Sides) (1996)
Bonin's art can be found in a number of public collections, including:
- Grosenick, Uta, ed. (2001). Women artists: in the 20th and 21st century. Köln [etc.]: Taschen. ISBN 3-8228-5854-4.
- Holzwarth, Hans W. (2009). 100 Contemporary Artists A-Z (Taschen's 25th anniversary special ed.). Köln: Taschen. p. 62. ISBN 978-3-8365-1490-3.
- "Cosima von Bonin: The Juxtaposition of Nothings". Petzel Gallery. Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- "About the artist", Kemper Art Museum, Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Petzel Gallery - Cosima von Bonin" Archived 2016-06-04 at the Wayback Machine, Petzel Gallery, Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- Princenthal, Nancy. "Cosima Von Bonin". Art in America. Retrieved March 6, 2014.
- Grosenick, Uta (2001). Women Artists in the 20th and 21st Century. Italy: Taschen. p. 54. ISBN 3-8228-5854-4.
- "Cosima von Bonin: Roger and Out", MoCA, Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Cosima von Bonin: The Fatigue Empire", eflux, Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Cosima von Bonin", Kemper Art Museum, Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Cosima von Bonin", mumok, Retrieved 22 January 2015.