Cosmic Call was the name of two sets of interstellar radio messages that were sent from RT-70 in Yevpatoria, Crimea in 1999 (Cosmic Call 1) and 2003 (Cosmic Call 2) to various nearby stars. The messages were designed with noise-resistant format and characters.
Each Cosmic Call 1 session had the following structure. The Scientific Part (DDM, BM, AM, and ESM) was sent three times (at 100 bit/s), and the Public Part (PP) was sent once (at 2000 bit/s), according to the following arrangement:
- DDM → BM → AM → ESM → DDM → BM → AM → ESM → DDM → BM → AM → ESM → PP,
where DDM is the Dutil-Dumas Message, created by Canadian scientists Yvan Dutil and Stéphane Dumas, BM is the Braastad Message, AM is the Arecibo Message, and ESM is the Encounter 2001 Staff Message.
Each Cosmic Call 2 session in 2003 had the following structure:
- DDM2 → DDM2 → DDM2 → AM → AM → AM → BIG → BIG → BIG → BM → ESM → PP,
The ISR was 263,906 bits; BM, 88,687 bits, AM, 1,679 bits; BIG was 12 binary images 121,301 bits; ESM 24,899 bits. Total = 500,472 bits for 53 minutes. PP was 220 megabytes and sent at a rate of 100,000 bit/s for 11 hours total.
The messages were sent to the following stars:
|Name||Designation HD||Constellation||Date sent||Arrival date||Message|
|16 Cyg A||HD 186408||Cygnus||May 24, 1999||November 2069||Cosmic Call 1|
|15 Sge||HD 190406||Sagitta||June 30, 1999||February 2057||Cosmic Call 1|
|HD 178428||Sagitta||June 30, 1999||October 2067||Cosmic Call 1|
|Gl 777||HD 190360||Cygnus||July 1, 1999||April 2051||Cosmic Call 1|
|Hip 4872||Cassiopeia||July 6, 2003||April 2036||Cosmic Call 2|
|HD 245409||Orion||July 6, 2003||August 2040||Cosmic Call 2|
|55 Cnc||HD 75732||Cancer||July 6, 2003||May 2044||Cosmic Call 2|
|HD 10307||Andromeda||July 6, 2003||September 2044||Cosmic Call 2|
|47 UMa||HD 95128||Ursa Major||July 6, 2003||May 2049||Cosmic Call 2|
- Oberhaus, Daniel (2019-09-27). Extraterrestrial Languages. MIT Press. pp. 99–104. ISBN 978-0-262-35527-8. OCLC 1142708941.
- Michael Chorost (September 26, 2016). "How a Couple of Guys Built the Most Ambitious Alien Outreach Project Ever, History of Cosmic Calls". Smithsonian.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-05-15. Retrieved 2009-03-02.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Richard Braastad, Team Encounter, USA, Alexander Zaitsev, IRE RAS, Russia. "Synthesis and Transmission of Cosmic Call 2003 Interstellar Radio Message".CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)}
- "Broadcast for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence from Evpatoria Deep Space Center" Report on Cosmic Call 1999
- Передача и поиски разумных сигналов во Вселенной
|Library resources about |
- Self-Decoding Messages
- https://web.archive.org/web/20110724223524/http://www.activeseti.org/evpatoria.html Discussion of the Call's "Rosetta Stone" and how it was developed
- Report on Cosmic Call
- https://web.archive.org/web/20121001045355/http://www3.sympatico.ca/stephane_dumas/CETI/evpatoria.html Evpatoria 2003 discussion with bitmap and image