|Owner:||Carnival Corporation & plc|
|Port of registry:||Italy, Genoa|
|Laid down:||1 October 2000|
|Completed:||27 May 2003|
|Class and type:||Spirit-class cruise ship|
|Length:||292.5 m (960 ft)|
|Beam:||32.2 m (106 ft)|
|Draught:||8 m (26 ft)|
|Depth:||13.6 m (45 ft)|
|Speed:||24 knots (44 km/h; 28 mph)|
Costa Mediterranea is a Spirit-class cruise ship operated by the Costa Crociere cruise line. She was constructed at the Kvaerner Masa-Yards (currently Aker Finnyards) in Helsinki, Finland at a cost of over €400 million. Like sister ship Costa Atlantica, her design was derived from the Carnival Cruise Lines Spirit-class ships, Carnival Spirit, Carnival Pride, Carnival Legend and Carnival Miracle. On June 16, 2003 she departed on her maiden voyage from Genoa to Spain and Portugal.
Public rooms aboard Costa Mediterranea such the ten floor high Maschera d'Argento atrium, were inspired by Italy's 16th and 17th century palazzi and decorated to reflect the ship's motto "Mai visto niente di simile" (You've never seen anything like it). The twelve decks are named after mythological and historical characters: Circe, Tersicore, Bacco, Teseo, Orfeo, Narciso, Prometeo, Pegaso, Armonia, Cleopatra, Pandora and Medea.
Amenities and features
- Four swimming pools, one with a retractable glass roof
- Four open-air Jacuzzis
- Beauty salon and spa
- Three-story gym
- Multi-purpose sports court
- Three restaurants: Ristorante degli Argentieri (two-story main dining venue), Perla del Lago Buffet, Club Medusa (alternative dining venue)
- 14 Themed bars and lounges
- Egyptian themed Osiris Theatre
- Canal Grande Casino
- Selva Discothèque
- Squok Club children's facilities
- Mondo Virtuale arcade
- Library/Internet Cafe
- Via Condotti shops
As part of Costa Cruises’ ongoing investment to improve the quality and sustainability of its fleet, Costa Mediterranea was dry docked at the Fincantieri shipyard in Palermo from November 21, 2013 to December 4 2013, for planned maintenance work. Costa Cruises’ invested more than €4 million to perform the routine refurbishment, which takes place approximately every two and a half years to keep the fleet fresh and modern. The renewal work included restoration of the ship’s hull, and a full renovation of the ship’s interior including the replacement of the carpets, curtains and upholstery. Specially for Costa Mediterranea Italian artist Gigi Rigamonti has produced an entire wall with Matisse-like dancers in the foyer of cruise ship.
Ports of call
Summer 2015 Itineraries
|Dates||Region||Round-Trip Duration||Ports of Call (visited)|
|May 2015-November 2015||Eastern Mediterranean||7 nights||Trieste, Kotor, Argostoli, Corfu, Dubrovnik & Venice|
- "Advanced Masterdata for the Vessel Costa Mediterranea". VesselTracker. 10 May 2011. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- Cybercruises.com, The new flagship Costa Mediterranea, , Retrieved in 2003.
- "Port" (in Russian). Marine Facade Management Company. Archived from the original on May 19, 2009. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- Official website
- Photos & amazing video of Costa Mediterranea in Yalta, Ukraine
- Video Clip of Costa Mediterranea
- Miramar Ship Index - Costa Mediterranea
- Media related to Costa Mediterranea at Wikimedia Commons