|Owner:||Carnival Corporation & plc|
|Port of registry:||Italy, Genoa|
|Ordered:||1 October 2004|
|Cost:||€450 million (£372 million, US$570 million)|
|Laid down:||1 February 2005|
|Launched:||4 August 2006|
|Completed:||9 March 2007|
|Class and type:||Concordia-class cruise ship|
|Length:||289.59 m (950.1 ft)|
|Beam:||35.5 m (116 ft)|
|Draught:||8.30 m (27.2 ft)|
|Depth:||14.18 m (46.5 ft)|
|Deck clearance:||2,908 mm (114.5 in)|
|Propulsion:||Two shafts; fixed-pitch propellers|
|Speed:||20 knots (37 km/h; 23 mph)|
Costa Serena was constructed by Fincantieri in Sestri Ponente. She had an older sister ship, Costa Concordia, launched in 2005. The ship, along with her three active sisters, was the largest and longest in the Costa Crociere fleet until being surpassed by the Costa Diadema in 2014. The sister ships, Costa Pacifica and Costa Favolosa were launched in 2009 and 2011 with Costa Fascinosa launched in 2012. Costa Serena's godmother is Marion Cotillard.
May 19, 2007 marked the day of Costa Serena's inaugural event. The event was held in Marseille, France and featured fireworks and a laser show. At the same time as the actual inauguration, Costa held an inaugural event in the virtual world of Second Life.
Ports of call
Costa Serena currently departs from Shanghai year-round.
In 2015, she repositioned to Shanghai to sail year-round cruises from China visiting ports in Japan and South Korea. These sailings are catered for Chinese guests and are only bookable through Chinese travel agencies.
- "Advanced Masterdata for the Vessel Costa Serena". VesselTracker. 15 May 2011. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- "Costa Crociere's Fleet Continues to Grow Costa Serena Sister Ship of Costa Concordia Launched Today in Genoa – The Two Largest Vessels in Italian" (Press release). Fincantieri. 4 August 2006. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- Costa Serena Ship's website. Retrieved 24 July 2010
- "Fincantieri Delivers the Twelfth Flagship of Costa Crociere's Italian Fleet Costa Serena the Gods' Ship" (Press release). Fincantieri. 15 May 2007. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- Anita Dunham-Potter (11 June 2007). "Ciao, Serena". ExpertCruiser. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- "Costa to Host 'Virtual' Costa Serena Inaugural". TravelPulse. 17 May 2007. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- "Cruise Ship Diaries". NatGeoTV. Archived from the original on 8 July 2012. Retrieved 10 September 2011.