Cotford St Luke
Cotford St Luke is a village and civil parish in the district of Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, England. Cotford St Luke is a new village that was established following the closure of Tone Vale Hospital and Cotford Asylum in the 1990s. The old asylum buildings were converted into housing commencing in the late 1990s.
Amenities and landmarks
The former hospital St Luke's chapel, which is a Grade II listed building built in the 1890s, was converted into a public house/restaurant and opened on 13 July 2008, after being derelict for 18 years. The pub closed in May 2011 and subsequently re-opened on 16 November 2012 under new ownership. It is called The Chapel.
Cotford St Luke Community Primary School is situated on the edge of the village. It was built on what were the grounds of the asylum playing fields and opened in September 2003. The school has 10 classes and caters for children from 4 to 11 years, with a pre-school on site for children from the age of 3 years.
Cotford St Luke is served by the number 25 scheduled bus service provided by The Buses of Somerset on the Taunton - Wiveliscombe - Dulverton route. These run approximately every hour daytimes Monday to Saturday in both directions. Other destinations, including Bridgwater and Kingston St Mary are also served but less frequently.
In 2011 Cotford St Luke civil parish was created; previously the village was part of Bishops Lydeard civil parish. On 5 May 2011, Cotford St Luke Parish Council was first elected. Seven parish councillors were elected un-opposed.
- "Civil parish population 2011". Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- "Cotford St Luke". Exmorian. Retrieved 1 April 2011.
- "Church of St Luke (Chapel) at Tone Vale Hospital". Images of England. English Heritage. Retrieved 1 April 2011.
- The Chapel Pub Archived 23 January 2015 at the Wayback Machine
- "School Website". Cotford St Luke Primary School. Retrieved 1 April 2011.
- "Dene Barton Community Hospital". Somerset Community Health. Archived from the original on 4 October 2011. Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- Co-Operative Food - Cotford St Luke
- "Local Election Results 2011" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 September 2011. Retrieved 11 May 2011.