Cottonwood Mall (Utah)
Structure under demolition in 2008
|Location||Holladay, Utah, USA|
|Coordinates||40.663 N 111.837 W|
|Address||4835 Highland Drive|
|Owner||The Howard Hughes Corporation|
|No. of anchor tenants||1|
The mall opened in 1962 with ZCMI, which became Meier & Frank in 2001 and Macy's in 2006. At the other end of the mall was a J.C. Penney. Other early tenants included an Albertsons supermarket and Woolworth, which was the last operational store in the state in 1993.
Starting in the early 2000s, Cottonwood Mall suffered high vacancy rates. By 2004, the mall was approximately 25 percent vacant.
General Growth Properties first announced plans to redevelop the mall in July 2007. A month later, the Holladay city council deemed the shopping mall blighted. General Growth tore down the mall in mid-2008 as the beginning of redevelopment. Original redevelopment plans called for a lifestyle center to be built around the existing Macy's store.
GGP was reformed after the bankruptcy and split into two entities. The Howard Hughes Corporation, one of the entities, took over the redevelopment of the mall. In 2014, rumors surfaced that Smith's Food and Drug would be opening a location on the property with a tenative opening in late 2016.
In 2017, Macy's announced it they would be closing the store located on the Cottonwood Mall property as part of a plan to restructure their U.S. operations. There are still several businesses located nearby and the area is still known as the Cottonwood or Cottonwood Creekside area.
- Rosemary Winters (23 May 2008). "Change is coming to Cottonwood Mall". The Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved 29 October 2010.
- Janice Leavitt Voorhies (1 October 2001). "Meier & Frank Take Over, Make Over ZCMI". Utah Business. Retrieved 29 October 2010.
- "Seventh season for mall". The Deseret News. 11 September 1968. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- "COTTONWOOD MALL MAY HOUSE LAST UTAH WOOLWORTH". Salt Lake Tribune. 15 October 1993. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- Lesley Mitchell (8 July 2004). "No sale, mall owners insist". The Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved 29 October 2010.
- Catherine Smith (5 July 2007). "Plans announced for Cottonwood Mall project". Deseret News. Retrieved 29 October 2010.
- Cathy McKitrick (3 August 2007). "Cottonwood Mall overhaul takes big step forward". The Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved 29 October 2010.
- "Cottonwood Mall causes problems for nearby businesses". ABC 4 News. 23 March 2009. Retrieved 29 October 2010.
- "Cottonwood Mall developer nearly bankrupt?". The Salt Lake Tribune. 12 December 2008. Retrieved 29 October 2010.
- "TGI Friday's closes after Cottonwood Mall demolished". ABC 4 News. 28 March 2009. Retrieved 29 October 2010.
- "Bankruptcy stalls building of Cottonwood mall". ABC 4 News. 16 April 2009. Retrieved 29 October 2010.
- April 2011 Mall Update Archived 2011-08-31 at the Wayback Machine.
- Lee, Jason. "4 Utah stores among Macy's, Kmart closures". KSL.com. Retrieved 5 January 2017.