This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Single by Tiffany|
|from the album Tiffany|
|B-side||"The Heart of Love"|
|Format||7" single, cassette, promo CD|
|Tiffany singles chronology|
"Could've Been" is the third single released from Tiffany, the debut album of American teen-pop singer Tiffany. Commercially, the song proved to be a successful follow-up to her debut single "I Think We're Alone Now", peaking atop the US Billboard Hot 100, the Canadian RPM Top Singles chart, and the Irish Singles Chart in early 1988. It also reached number four on the UK Singles Chart and number five in New Zealand.
Music industry insiders Don McGovern and Brad Schmidt first heard the song when they walked into a Hungry Tiger Restaurant in Thousand Oaks, California and heard a local performer, Lois Blaisch, singing the song. McGovern and Schmidt introduced it to producer George Tobin and encouraged Tobin to record it.
The song is a slow ballad about love that could have been better. Both Tiffany's label, MCA Records, and her manager, George Tobin, were concerned that she was not old or mature enough to handle a song with such emotional depth. However, Tiffany convinced them that she could, and the song was recorded and included on her self-titled debut album, becoming its third single.
Track listings and formats
7" Single and cassette single
- Could've Been – 4:00
- The Heart Of Love – 3:57
"Could've Been" shot up the charts right away and spent two weeks at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, becoming Tiffany's second consecutive number-one hit following "I Think We're Alone Now". The song was also a number-one hit on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart, as well as on the charts of Ireland and Canada.
Sales and certifications
- Lois Blaisch finally released her own version in 1997 when she included it on her album "Through Thick and Thin".
- Country singer Carrie Underwood covered the song on American Idol.
- The song has been revived by a Filipina artist named Sarah Geronimo.
In popular culture
The song was heard in the television series Growing Pains, on the episode "Nasty Habits".
- List of Billboard Hot 100 number-one singles of 1988
- List of Billboard number-one Adult Contemporary singles of 1988
- List of RPM Top Singles number-one singles of 1988
- List of Irish Singles Chart number-one singles of 1988
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (illustrated ed.). St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. p. 310. ISBN 0-646-11917-6. N.B. The Kent Report chart was licensed by ARIA between mid 1983 and 19 June 1988.
- "Ultratop.be – Tiffany – Could've Been" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved October 26, 2013.
- "Top RPM Singles: Issue 0932." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- "Top RPM Adult Contemporary: Issue 8772." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Could've Been". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – week 21, 1988" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40 Retrieved June 9, 2018.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Tiffany – Could've Been" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved October 26, 2013.
- "Charts.nz – Tiffany – Could've Been". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- "SA Charts 1965–March 1989". Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Tiffany – Could've Been". Singles Top 100. Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- "Tiffany Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- "Tiffany Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard. Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- "ARIA Charts - End Of Year Charts - Top 50 Singles 1988". ARIA. Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- "End Of Year Charts 1988". Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- "Top 100 Songs of 1988 - Billboard Year End Charts". Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- "Canadian single certifications – Tiffany – Could've Been". Music Canada.
- "Japanese single certifications – Tiffany – Could've Been" (in Japanese). Recording Industry Association of Japan.
- "British single certifications – Tiffany – Could've Been". British Phonographic Industry. Select singles in the Format field. Enter Could've Been in the search field and then press Enter.