Council of Governors
The Council of Governors is a United States council of state and federal officials that was established to "advise the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of Homeland Security, and the White House Homeland Security Council on matters related to the National Guard and civil support missions" and to "strengthen further the partnership between the Federal Government and State Governments to protect [the United States] against all types of hazards". The Council is tasked to review "such matters as involving the National Guard of the various States; homeland defense; civil support; synchronization and integration of State and Federal military activities in the United States; and other matters of mutual interest pertaining to National Guard, homeland defense, and civil support activities."
The Council was authorized and required by the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008, enacted by the 110th Congress and signed by President George W. Bush on January 28, 2008. It was officially established by Executive Order 13528, issued by President Barack Obama on January 11, 2010.
The Council of Governors is composed of 10 members, selected by the President for a term of 2 years from among the governors of the several states and territories of the United States and the Mayor of the District of Columbia. No more than five members may be from the same political party.
Two members of the Council, of different political parties, are designated by the President to serve as Co-Chairs of the Council.
|Member||Party||Tenure begun||State||FEMA region||Notes||References|
|Dannel Malloy||Democrat||February 4, 2010||Connecticut||I||Co-Chair|||
|Jay Nixon||Democrat||February 4, 2010||Missouri||VII|||
|Terry Branstad||Republican||March 9, 2011||Iowa||VII||Co-Chair|||
|Matt Mead||Republican||March 9, 2011||Wyoming||VIII|||
|Brian Sandoval||Republican||February 21, 2013||Nevada||IX|||
|Steve Bullock||Democratic||February 24, 2015||Montana||VIII|||
|Mark Dayton||Democratic||February 24, 2015||Minnesota||V|||
|Terry McAuliffe||Democratic||February 24, 2015||Virginia||III|||
|Rick Snyder||Republican||February 24, 2015||Michigan||V|||
|Member||Party||Tenure begun||Tenure ended||State||FEMA region||Notes||References|
|Jim Douglas||Republican||February 4, 2010||January 6, 2011||Vermont||I||Co-Chair|||
|Mike Rounds||Republican||February 4, 2010||January 8, 2011||South Dakota||VIII|||
|Brad Henry||Democrat||February 4, 2010||January 10, 2011||Oklahoma||VI|||
|Luis Fortuño||NPP/Republican||February 4, 2010||January 2, 2013||Puerto Rico||II|||
|Bev Perdue||Democrat||February 4, 2010||January 5, 2013||North Carolina||IV|||
|Christine Gregoire||Democrat||February 4, 2010||January 16, 2013||Washington||X||Co-Chair|||
|Neil Abercrombie||Democrat||March 9, 2011||December 1, 2014||Hawaii||IX|||
|Jan Brewer||Republican||February 4, 2010||January 5, 2015||Arizona||IX|||
|Pat Quinn||Democrat||2013||January 12, 2015||Illinois||V|
|Martin O'Malley||Democrat||February 4, 2010||January 21, 2015||Maryland||III||Co-Chair|||
Scope of activities
Topics for review by the Council of Governors include synchronization and integration of state and federal military activities and other matters related to state National Guard organizations, homeland defense, and civil support.
Meetings of the Council are called by the Secretary of Defense or the Co-Chairs.
The inaugural meeting was held on February 23, 2010, in Washington, D.C., at the Pentagon. A second meeting was held July 11, 2010 in Boston, Massachusetts. A third meeting was scheduled for November 2010.
- Pub.L. 110–181
- Press Release: Executive Order 13528 – Establishing Council of Governors
- Executive Order 13528  
- "Nation's Governors Welcome New Council of Governors Appointments" (Press release). National Governors Association. 9 March 2011. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "Sandoval Appointed to Council of Governors" (Press release). Nevada Office of the Governor. 21 February 2013. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- "Haslam Travels To Afghanistan, Germany" (Press release). Tennessee Governor's Office. 29 September 2014. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- "Nation's Governors Welcome New Council Of Governors Appointments" (Press release). National Governors Association. 24 February 2015. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- http://blog.uscg.dhs.gov/2010/02/council-of-governors-historic-day.asp Archived August 4, 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- http://www.northcom.mil?NNCBlog/2010/07/12/CouncilOfGovernorsMeeting.aspx Archived August 7, 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- http://www.governor.wa.gov/news/news-view.asp?pressRelease=1425&newsType=1 Archived November 3, 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- http://www.nga.org/cms/home/news-room/news-releases/page_2011/col2-content/main-content-list/general-content-1.html[dead link]