Union Council of Ministers
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The Union Council of Ministers exercises executive authority in the Republic of India. It consists of senior ministers, called "Cabinet Ministers", junior ministers, called "Ministers of State" and deputy ministers.
It is led by the Prime Minister. A smaller executive body, called the Union Cabinet is the supreme decision-making body in India. Only the Prime Minister and ministers of the rank of "Cabinet Minister" are members of Union Cabinet per Article 352.
Per Article 75(3), the Council of Ministers is responsible collectively to the lower house of the Indian Parliament, called the Lok Sabha (House of People). When a bill introduced by a minister in the Lok sabha is not approved by it, entire council of ministers is responsible and not the minister. The council of ministers upon losing confidence of Lok Sabha shall resign to facilitate new government formation.
A minister shall not take any decision without being considered by the council of ministers per Article 78(c). All union cabinet members shall submit in writing to the President to propose proclamation of emergency by the president per Article 352.
According to the Constitution of India, the total number of ministers in the Council of Ministers must not exceed 15% of the total number of members of the House of the People. Ministers must be members of parliament. Any minister who is not a member of either the lower or upper houses of parliament for six consecutive months is automatically stripped off his or her ministerial post.
There are five categories of council of ministers as given below, in descending order of rank:
- Prime Minister
- Deputy Prime Minister (if any): presides as Prime Minister in his absence or as the senior most cabinet minister.
- Cabinet Minister: member of cabinet; leads a ministry
- Minister of State (Independent Charges): junior minister not reporting to a cabinet minister
- Minister of State (MoS): junior minister reporting to a cabinet minister, usually tasked with a specific responsibility in that ministry
Per Article 75, a minister who works at the pleasure of President, is appointed by the President on the advice of the Prime Minister.
- Upon self resignation
- Upon dismissal by the President for minister's unconstitutional acts per Article 75(2).
- Upon direction from the Judiciary for committing violation of law.
- Upon ceasing eligibility to be a member of Parliament.
It is nowhere stated in the constitution, a minister can be removed by the Prime Minister at his will.
Council of Ministers of a State
Every state in India is governed by its council of ministers with rules and procedure similar to union council of ministers per Articles 163, 164 and 167(c). There is no concept of cabinet rank minister in the council of ministers.
Current Union Council of Ministers
India cabinet ministers information-2014
Ministers of State
Note : *Indicates Minister of State having Independent charge
|Bandaru Dattatreya||Labour and Employment*|
|Harsh Vardhan||Environment, Forest and Climate Change*|
|Dharmendra Pradhan||Petroleum and Natural Gas*|
|Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi||Minority Affairs*|
|Bandaru Dattatreya||Labour and Employment*|
|Faggan Singh Kulaste||Health & Family Welfare|
|Babul Supriyo||Heavy Industries & Public Enterprises|
|Giriraj Singh||Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises|
|Arjun Ram Meghwal||Finance, Corporate Affairs|
|Hansraj Gangaram Ahir||Home Affairs|
|Jasvantsinh Sumanbhai Bhabhor||Tribal Affairs|
|Jayant Sinha||Civil Aviation|
|Ramesh Chandappa Jigajinagi||Drinking Water & Sanitation|
|Jitendra Singh||Development of North Eastern Region*, Prime Minister's Office, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Department of Atomic Energy, Department of Space|
|Haribhai Parthibhai Chaudhary||Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises|
|P P Choudhary||Law & Justice, Electronics & Information Technology|
|Kiren Rijiju||Home Affairs|
|Ramdas Athawale||Social Justice & Empowerment|
|Krishan Pal||Social Justice & Empowerment|
|Anupriya Patel||Health & Family Welfare|
|Krishna Raj||Women & Child Development|
|Nirmala Sitharaman||Commerce and Industry*|
|Chhotu Ram Chaudhary||Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution|
|Mahesh Sharma||Culture*, Tourism*|
|SS Ahluwalia||Agriculture & Farmer Welfare, Parliamentary Affairs|
|Manoj Sinha||Railways, Communications*|
|M. J. Akbar||External Affairs|
|Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi||Minority Affairs*, Parliamentary Affairs|
|Vijay Goel||Youth Affairs and Sports*, Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation|
|Piyush Goyal||Power*, Coal*, New and Renewable Energy*, Mines*|
|Pon Radhakrishnan||Road Transport & Highways, Shipping|
|Parsottambhai Rupala||Agriculture & Farmer Welfare, Panchayati Raj|
|Rajiv Pratap Rudy||Skill Development & Entrepreneurship*|
|Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore||Information & Broadcasting|
|Ram Kripal Yadav||Rural Development|
|Rao Inderjit Singh||Planning*, Urban Development Housing & Urban Poverty Alleviation|
|Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti||Food Processing Industries|
|Sanjeev Kumar Balyan||Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation|
|Shripad Yasso Naik||AAYUSH*,|
|Sudarshan Bhagat||Agriculture and Farmers Welfare|
|Upendra Kushwaha||Human Resource Development|
|Vijay Kumar Singh||External Affairs, Overseas Indian Affairs|
|Vijay Sampla||Social Justice & Empowerment|
|Vishnu Deo Sai||Steel|
|Y. S. Chowdary||Science and Technology, Earth Science|
- Politics of India
- National Democratic Alliance
- Council of Ministers of Narendra Modi
- Template:Modi ministry
- Wikisource:Constitution of India/Part V#Article 74 .7BCouncil of Ministers to aid and advise President.7D
- Wikisource:Constitution of India/Part XVIII
- "Origin and Scope of Doctrine of Pleasure in India". Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- "Allocation of Business Rules 1961". Archived from the original on 30 April 2008. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Full-list-PM-Modis-new-look-Cabinet/articleshow/53067400.cms%7CFull list: PM Modi's new-look Cabinet
- "Shri Prakash Javadekar assumes charge as Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Information & Broadcasting". Press Information Bureau. 27 May 2014. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- "Smriti Irani out of HRD, Venkaiah Naidu gets I&B ministry". Indian Express. New Delhi. 5 July 2016. Retrieved 5 July 2016.
- "Nitin Gadkari given additional charge of portfolios held by Gopinath Munde". The Indian Express.
- "Modi Cabinet rejig: Manohar Parrikar new Defence Minister, Suresh Prabhu gets Railways". Zee News.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Union Council of Ministers of India.|
- Union Council of Ministers at the National Portal of India