This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Counter-Strike Online is a first-person shooter video game, targeted towards Asia's gaming market released in 2008. It is based on Counter-Strike and was developed by Nexon Co. Ltd. with oversight from license-holder Valve Corporation. It uses a micropayment model that is managed by a custom version of Steam.
The game features a variety of additions over the international Counter-Strike, such as the introduction of female characters, numerous new weapons and skins for previous weapons. Most of the weapons are "locked" by default, so virtual cash or in-game points are essential to purchase them. Most special weapons, skins, power-ups, etc. can be purchased with cash points. A variety of other special items can also be bought with in-game points as well.
Counter-Strike Online itself is free to play, but some weapons are bought using points purchased with real money. These weapons usually expire after a certain amount of time but sometimes can be purchased permanently during a promotion. Certain weapons and items can be purchased with points that are gained by getting kills, completing objectives, etc.
Counter-Strike Online includes classic Counter-Strike modes and added more. They are categorized as six: Classic, Deathmatches, Zombie Infection, Scenarios, Fun and Others.
- Classic: Round-based match. The modes available are Bomb Defuse, Hostage Rescue, Assassination and Basic.
- Deathmatches: Players will respawn immediately after death. The modes available are Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and Gun Deathmatch.
- Zombie Infection: Humans must survive incoming zombie attacks. The modes available are Zombie 1: Original, Zombie 2: Mutant, Zombie 3: Hero and Zombie 4: Darkness.
- Scenarios: A group of 10 players must survive and annihilate computer-controlled enemies to clear specific goals. Some maps have to defeat a boss. Modes available are Zombie Scenario and Human Scenario.
- Fun: Spin-off modes that are fun to play. Modes available are Hidden, Bazooka Battle, Soccer, Challenge and Item Battle.
- PvPvE: Player vs Player vs Environment modes that are Zombie Union, Metal Arena, Battle Rush, Zombie Shelter and Beast.
On April 5, 2012, Nexon and Valve announced a partnership to develop Counter-Strike Online 2, which is based on an enhanced Source engine, and offered enhanced graphics, powerful impact physics, and more new features. It has been confirmed that Counter-Strike Online 2 uses the same Source version as Counter-Strike: Source. However, it is not a copy of CS:S since all the features in game like models, maps and sounds are completely rebuilt by Nexon of South Korea.
Professional leagues and tournaments
Counter-Strike Online is one of the largest esports, with various annual tournaments taking place worldwide.
The World Cyber Games 2012 Grand Finals in Kunshan hosted a Counter-Strike Online tournament, at which teams from China, Taiwan, Malaysia and South Korea competed. The TYLOO team from China won the tournament.
Counter-Strike Nexon: Zombies was released on Steam the October 7, 2014. This is the first adaptation of Counter-Strike Online to be published via Valve Corporation's Steam content delivery system. Counter-Strike Online Singapore/Malaysia, which also run in English language, was closed six months later.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2018)
- "Q&A: Valve Explains Why PC Gaming's Gaining Steam". Gamasutra. 2008-03-06. Retrieved 2008-03-06.
- Mallory, Jordan (2012-04-06). "Nexon, Valve announce Counter-Strike Online 2 for Asian territories". Joystiq. Retrieved 2013-04-01.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-02-09. Retrieved 2012-10-17.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link) on wcg.com, accessed on October 17, 2012
- Cheben, Mark (2007-07-27). "Leading International Studios Join Forces to Extend the World's #1 First Person Multiplayer Game". GotFrag. Retrieved 2007-10-12.
- "Game Watch (Translated)". Archived from the original on 2008-06-22. (This game is not suitable for children under the ages of 13. Contains graphic violence.)
- "Nexon Finding ways to expand cso business in Indonesia, India & other area.(8-1-2012)(Broken Link)". Archived from the original on 2012-03-23. (CSO is available in Indonesia & coming soon in India till end of 2011. [Possibility of Launch Canceled])
- "trai nghiem Counter-Strike Online:su that vong da duoc tien lieu".